Yeti GOBOX Collection

2021 NCAA wrestling championships

I haven't followed college wrestling since I graduated college so none of the names ring a bell, but when I hear about NCAA championships it reminds me of when our college wrestling coach thought it would be a good idea to bring us (a D3 school) to a D1 tournament. There was a national champion there who went up against one of our freshman and accidentally pinned himself tilting for back points. The freshman thought it was cool until he realized we had to wait hours for his next match while all the other teammates lost and were ready for the bus ride home. I imagine at these championships, wrestlers are less cocky when they go against equally good opponents and don't make such foolish mistakes.

This thread might finally get me back to watching collegiate wrestling.
I wrestled D3. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and other D1 schools would send some of their backups, redshirts, or even starters that needed matches to a lot of our open tournaments.

This didn’t age well.
no sir. Latona did not look stellar and neither did Ragusin. Could be the first match after the weight cut or the nerves of NCAAs but Courtney from ASU looked like the toughest guy besides lee in 125. That kid that Lee was wrestling had to be pissed when he stood up and was about to get out but lee brought him back down for 4 near fall.

I wrestled D3. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and other D1 schools would send some of their backups, redshirts, or even starters that needed matches to a lot of our open tournaments.
I’m actually from Lock Haven and grew up going to LHU and Penn State matches. Strong wrestling heritage in that part of the world but I hated wrestling as a kid. Pops made me do it. Ha

St. Louis! I’ve been to the ncaas many times in STL but not this year. I will be watching all the rounds on ESPN channels. Here’s who I got:
125: lee maj dec heinselman
133 : fix dec rby
141: eierman dec Rivera
149: O’Connor dec Sasso
157: deakin dec Carr
165: lewis dec wentzel
174: kemmerer dec starrocci
184: Hidlay dec keckeisen
197: schultz dec Ferrari
285: Steveson dec Parris

I think Iowa will win the team race with PSU in 2nd. It is very possible that Iowa has 10 All Americans, but 2or 3 of their wrestlers are known for crapping the bed and you may get a high Aa or a blood round loser. It is possible the B1G has 10 national champs.
I'm going to take RBY over fix in the 133. Mostly because I love Penn State and what Cael Sanderson has done there, but I also don't think Fix should be allowed back to compete in the NCAA's after being busted doping.

I'm going to take RBY over fix in the 133. Mostly because I love Penn State and what Cael Sanderson has done there, but I also don't think Fix should be allowed back to compete in the NCAA's after being busted doping
It amazes me that Cael won 4 national titles and then coached ISU to some very good seasons. But he is absolutley hated in Iowa. Although at our state wrestling tournament about every other kid in a bracket is named Cael it seems like.

Lots of NC State wrestlers advance out of first round.
Wolfpack looking strong in many weight classes.
I wouldn’t bet against Hidlay at 157
I just heard on the radio they went 4-0 with 4.5 Bonus points in the first session. PSU went 5-0 with 4.5 bonus points and Iowa was 5-0 with 5.5 bonus points. Its going to be a neck and neck team race for sure!

It amazes me that Cael won 4 national titles and then coached ISU to some very good seasons. But he is absolutley hated in Iowa. Although at our state wrestling tournament about every other kid in a bracket is named Cael it seems like.
That's funny, I guess the Iowa state fans like him and the Iowa fans hate him huh? Being from Idaho I can't even comprehend how big wrestling is, but I love to follow the B1G wrestling. I would love to go back there some day and watch some good live collegiate wrestling.

8 out of 9 NCSU wrestlers advance to second round
It should have been 9 out of 9. Reenan from NCSU was up 7 to 2 in the 3rd round against Jacob Warner from Iowa and Reenan was just out of gas and let Warner score 5 points and send it into OT where Warner won with a quick takedown.

It should have been 9 out of 9. Reenan from NCSU was up 7 to 2 in the 3rd round against Jacob Warner from Iowa and Reenan was just out of gas and let Warner score 5 points and send it into OT where Warner won with a quick takedown.
I missed that match cuz I was talking to my boss, about perch fishing. It sounds like the ncstate kid had an argument for the fall.

Day 2! Yesterday was great! There were lots of lopsided victories, lots of tight matches, a few upsets and a couple monster upsets! The biggest upset in my opinion was 2 seed Schultz at 197 getting pinned. I had him winning it all and now he has to win 3 straight just to Aa. The two biggest punks in the tournament may look the best so far and are at the top of the list for OW. I’ll let you decide who the punks are!
There will be some big matches this morning! I’m nervous about Spencer Lee’s match. He has TFed that kid a few times but they have all been a grind and Schroeder improves each time. I haven’t seen deakin wrestle at 157, but hidlay is a beast on the bottom side. Marinelli has looked better then he has all season and I thought Lewis was going to throw the towel in in his match. I didn’t know he was hurt so bad. That’s unfortunate because that dude is explosive when he is healthy!

As predicted Schroder wrestled Spencer Lee tough. But Spencer is so calm and collected and methodical. I am glad Taylor LaMont won, I have been surprised he hasnt done better until now as much success as he has had at other styles.

Day 2! Yesterday was great! There were lots of lopsided victories, lots of tight matches, a few upsets and a couple monster upsets! The biggest upset in my opinion was 2 seed Schultz at 197 getting pinned. I had him winning it all and now he has to win 3 straight just to Aa. The two biggest punks in the tournament may look the best so far and are at the top of the list for OW. I’ll let you decide who the punks are!
There will be some big matches this morning! I’m nervous about Spencer Lee’s match. He has TFed that kid a few times but they have all been a grind and Schroeder improves each time. I haven’t seen deakin wrestle at 157, but hidlay is a beast on the bottom side. Marinelli has looked better then he has all season and I thought Lewis was going to throw the towel in in his match. I didn’t know he was hurt so bad. That’s unfortunate because that dude is explosive when he is healthy!
I was surprised by the Lewis development as well. Don’t follow ACC wrestling, so wasn’t tracking the injury during an earlier season dual meet.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back