Caribou Gear

2021 Wyoming NR Elk Draw Results

It's impossible to apply for both special and regular, the system doesn't allow it.
When I modified the app, there was a drop down for license type. I selected Regular. Next drop down I selected unit and type 4. I know what not to do next year but I'm excited to go elk hunting. The type 4 tag I selected is for the same unit I selected for type 1. I'll take it as a scouting trip and cow hunt combined. Hopefully I'll be drawing a mule deer tag and antelope tag in the same unit as well. I'm hunting with an Army buddy who lives there so I know we'll have a great time regardless. Now I just have to wait for the season to actually start!

Looking at the report, the unit I applied in took less points on the regular tag than it did for the special tag. And jumped 3 points...

Pulled a great Utah LE elk tag so I'm kind of relieved that I didn't beat the odds in WYO. Still about two years away from a unit 7 tag. I think Wyoming has one of the better draw systems, except for the fact that all non top point applicants are thrown into the same random draw bucket. First time zero pointers have the same odds as those with multiple points. Good luck to all you 'successful' hunters.

Just did some comparisons of Special to Regular draw results. The benefit of Special went way down this year, compared to other years. Lots of folks opting in to the Special, for what were very marginal increases in draw odds, in some cases slightly lower draw odds. That's a big chunk of money to pay for that small increase in odds, and in some cases worse odds.

Wonder if that trend will follow in the deer/antelope draw later this month? Wonder if it will trend ever closer to each other next year in the elk draw?

Just did some comparisons of Special to Regular draw results. The benefit of Special went way down this year, compared to other years. Lots of folks opting in to the Special, for what were very marginal increases in draw odds, in some cases slightly lower draw odds. That's a big chunk of money to pay for that small increase in odds, and in some cases worse odds.

Wonder if that trend will follow in the deer/antelope draw later this month? Wonder if it will trend ever closer to each other next year in the elk draw?
Further observation shows that the units where the gap closed the most, or where people spent extra money for worse draw odds in the Special draw, are units that the research/application services have on their recommended lists. Maybe it was the application services advising their high-point holder clients to burn their points now that created this dynamic.

Further observation shows that the units where the gap closed the most, or where people spent extra money for worse draw odds in the Special draw, are units that the research/application services have on their recommended lists. Maybe it was the application services advising their high-point holder clients to burn their points now that created this dynamic.

Ironic when it seems like a good plan would be paying for application services so you can avoid applying for the units they recommend..

I think Wyoming has one of the better draw systems, except for the fact that all non top point applicants are thrown into the same random draw bucket. First time zero pointers have the same odds as those with multiple points. Good luck to all you 'successful' hunters.

This is the beauty of their system IMO. High point holders get a pure PP system while new entrants still have a chance and mid-term plays still have the general tags.

No unit 7 random draw for me as expected.

I pulled a LE Special bull tag in a unit I've hunted once before. I had 3 points and went in knowing I had about a 6% chance in the random. Looks like the preference point threshold was around 9 points so to say I'm quite surprised is an understatement. I didn't think I'd get back in this unit again any time soon. It's funny, the last time I drew it was in 2016 and my odds were about 6% as well. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.

This is the beauty of their system IMO. High point holders get a pure PP system while new entrants still have a chance and mid-term plays still have the general tags.

No unit 7 random draw for me as expected.
It's my favorite system! Allows one to plan ahead with a reasonable degree of certainty but also new applicants still have a reasonable chance. General tag for mid-range is also a great option.

Looks to me like Special makes a big difference on antelope but doesn't help much on deer or elk.

My ”special application” wasn’t so special after all. It would have been 100% draw odds last year so something certainly changed...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back