Caribou Gear Tarp

2021 Colorado Draw Results

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
I'm going to be busy this fall for sure as I drew some good tags-

Bear 9/2-9/30 over laps part of the mt goat unit and dates
RFW Bull elk 9/2-9/6
Mt Goat 9/7-10/31 overlaps part of the bear and deer units and dates.
Muzzy buck 9/11-9/19 overlaps most of the mt goat unit and dates.
Pronghorn 10/2-10/10

*edit brother drew a 49 1st elk tag Oct 16-20

Plus a buddy drew a bull moose and a couple folks I knew drew mt goats too.

Sandbrew

Last edited:

RFW Bull elk 9/2-9/6
Pronghorn 10/6-10/12

Sandbrew
I'm tired just thinking about it. I'll struggle just doing one hunt.

Do it while you can. It doesn't last forever.

RFW Bull elk 9/2-9/6
Pronghorn 10/6-10/12

Sandbrew
I’ll be on those hunts with you and managed to pick up a few good ones of my own. 👍🏻

Bye bye elk points. 49 archery elk and bear, plus a 4th season Mt.Goat. Gonna be a busy fall.

it is over the counter for elk

fair warning, nearly the entirety of that unit got SCORCHED last year

you'll be fine, there are lots of deer there, but i wouldn't expect all the national forest you want to be on to be legally open
@TOGIE @FeartheTurtle I tried to get back in there last weekend - can confirm it’s still closed; tried to access from multiple entry points. Might open up June 1st based on the signage

@TOGIE @FeartheTurtle I tried to get back in there last weekend - can confirm it’s still closed; tried to access from multiple entry points. Might open up June 1st based on the signage
Thanks very much for the info. I talked with Fish & Game and they said they're pushing hard for it to be open by fall and the (very helpful) person I talked with said that they have a pretty good relationship with the Forest Service, who will ultimately make the decision. Said it was mostly closed for hunting last year because of the fire. I love hunting the year after a burn - usually lots of nice lush new graze for the critters, but with the drought this year, who knows? Another nice person at Forest Service said that she expects it will be mostly open this year, but probably not until later in the summer/fall. Fingers crossed. Back to my other question - would you pick up an OTC elk tag?

Thanks very much for the info. I talked with Fish & Game and they said they're pushing hard for it to be open by fall and the (very helpful) person I talked with said that they have a pretty good relationship with the Forest Service, who will ultimately make the decision. Said it was mostly closed for hunting last year because of the fire. I love hunting the year after a burn - usually lots of nice lush new graze for the critters, but with the drought this year, who knows? Another nice person at Forest Service said that she expects it will be mostly open this year, but probably not until later in the summer/fall. Fingers crossed. Back to my other question - is it worth picking up an OTC elk tag?
If you have the funds available, I say yes, focus on the tag you drew but you never know what you will run across. A few years back I had 4 days to fill a deer tag and decided not to pick up an OTC Bull Tag. Wanted to focus on filling the deer tag. Opening morning had a nice 5x5 bull standing 35 yards in the wide open for 15 min. So now, if a tag is available and I can afford it, I don't hesitate.

So happy to have found this site! I put in for deer in hunt zone 142 late rifle and I drew with 26 points. When I just checked my card like y'all been doing I have been charged for a zone 76 bull moose tag too. Stoked! With only 3 points!!You guys seem to really have this western hunting thing dialed in! Being from the south I am just getting after it. Been building points since 25 years ago and this year is the year to start hunting out west!

Please help with spots to hunt! Not from Colorado so I will gladly come up a couple days early to get these critters scouted and learn the land. Read some slick stories here already today so I am gonna start hanging around and post up about my moose and deer.
I think I can but if I can't get time off for both should I keep the deer or the moose tag? Both seem really good! Have not even told the wifey I am going on my first western hunt! I been runnin the Bergera B14 HMR in the 6.5 Creed and put the smack down on deer and pigs at the farm out to 700 so thinking I am dialed for mule deer and moose.

Thanks!

Shooter Morris
Gosh the hits keep coming, not sure what to do. Elk in zone 76 early rifle. I thought I would only draw one tag if I was really lucky. Now that I look at it I guess I had more elk points than needed. Anybody ever been hunting in zone 76 early rifle that can share what you know? With the elk and moose tag I guess I will have my head on a swivel looking in the willow bottom and above tree line.
Going from never hunting anything big except white tails to now chasing mule deers and moose and elk!

Gosh the hits keep coming, not sure what to do. Elk in zone 76 early rifle. I thought I would only draw one tag if I was really lucky. Now that I look at it I guess I had more elk points than needed. Anybody ever been hunting in zone 76 early rifle that can share what you know? With the elk and moose tag I guess I will have my head on a swivel looking in the willow bottom and above tree line.
Going from never hunting anything big except white tails to now chasing mule deers and moose and elk!

How many points did it take?

How many points did you need for the moose tag?

If you have the funds available, I say yes, focus on the tag you drew but you never know what you will run across. A few years back I had 4 days to fill a deer tag and decided not to pick up an OTC Bull Tag. Wanted to focus on filling the deer tag. Opening morning had a nice 5x5 bull standing 35 yards in the wide open for 15 min. So now, if a tag is available and I can afford it, I don't hesitate.
Yeah, I figure Murphy's law will be in effect - buy a tag and I'll see zero bulls - not buy it and a big one will step out. We're focused on deer and plan on hitting it hard, dark to dark for four or five days. Looking forward to getting to know some new country.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back