2016 WY elk

BuzzH

A good friend of mine, Joe, showed up Wednesday night with a rifle, pack, and cow permit. I also snagged a leftover cow tag for the same area.

Yesterday we bumped into a herd of 200 or so elk on some public ground and put a good stalk on them. Once we got up to where they were, we thought the shooting would be 300-350 yards, so Joe decided to use my 7-08, so left his rifle as we crawled up the final 50 or so yards. As it turned out, there was 5 bulls and 3 cows that were only about 150 yards that we hadn't seen. Joe smacked his cow and the remaining 7 trotted down the draw and up the other side. He handed me the rifle and I shot one of the other 2 cows quartering away as she came up the other side of the draw.

We got them all quartered and packed one last night, going back to get the other one here I a few minutes.

Joe with his cow:

0107161701a.jpg

My cow:

0107161617b.jpg

Sounds like a good time with your friend and some great eating. Buzz,you make it look too easy . Congrats !

Last edited:
First, congrats!

Secondly, I am a wee bit jealous that you only have around 8 months to hunt elk again. I shot one in September, so it is a full 12 months between hunts! One of the many perks of living in WY. Nicely done.

Buzz, How many freezers do you fill each year, Counting your kills and guessing, just guessing, I would think 3, but 4 is in the mix.

I think you give alota meat to neighbors.

Admire, your hunting skills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back