Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

10 day back pack hunt

I don't know what time of year you will be up there but if there has not been a freeze you
could encounter more bugs than you'll be able to stand. They have them little bitty bugs they call no-see-ums. I would suggest a head net, latex gloves, and some bug spray in addition to what has been mentioned for consideration. When them no-see-ums get on your bloody hands within 12 hours you won't get any rings off your fingers and your hands will feel like you've tangled with a bare knuckle boxing match. With out a head net we couldn't even hike without getting up high to catch some breeze. When we got back from our trip we said that caribou don't migrate - they just run from the bugs. If there has been a freeze - things are not bad in the bug department.

That looks like a pretty good list. I'd suggest taking a backup knife as well. Hate to break off or loose the Havalon and be left with processing the meat with the saw. I usually always have a pocketknife along as well. Though not the best, I'm sure I could processing a critter with it if need be. I'd also suggest taking a synthetic pack towl. I also can't see needing more than one LS shirt. Base layers work just as well.

The gear list as of now:
Back pack MR wolfpack or CC
Gun Kimber Montanna 270 wsm with 30 rounds way too much ammo
Bino's Leicas 10X42
Knife Havalon with 10 blades
Knife of Alaska bone saw
Ti goat walking poles
Clothing
Sitka rain gear top & bottom
Simms long underware t&b
1 pair pants
3 underware ditch a pair
5 shocksditch 3 pair
2 long sleve shirtsditch one
Camp
Hilleberg Nallo 2
20 deg down bag
Down mate sleeping pad go padless or get a lighter pad
Jat boil
Ti drinking cupnope
Water filterditch it, boil your water
Ti spoon
3 rolls TPyou poop a lot, take one roll and some wet wipes
MIsc first aid
Food
15 Mountain house propcakscut it down to one a night, they have plenty to keep you going on one per day
20 instant oat meals
30 bars cliff/wa/candy
That is what I can think of for now I'm sure that there will be some changes in 6 months any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jay

also I would take a spotting scope, you can save yourself a LOT of walking.
game bags, bug dope or thermacell, parachute cord,

The list looks pretty good, but a bit heavy. I'd kill the pump filter & take tabs instead (more reliable).

I don't know about the Crystal Light, but I use a powder called Zipfizz (get it at Costco) that is a sugar free energy drink--tons of vitamin B, potassium & a bit of caffeine & guarana--better than Gookinaide & way, way better than Gatorade, IMHO. It also masks any taste you might pick up from the purification tabs.

I use a half a tube with water for light workouts or a full tube for heavy workouts.

Best of luck nailing a big caribou.

Last edited:
Did anyone say spotting scope? I take a lightweight Leupold 25 x 50 compact job. I love it.
How about a zip lock bag with salt, pepper, and garlic. Mixed in with some flour for caribou steaks. Doesn't have to be very big.
We also took those roll up, pull over, waders, for crossing streams that will fill your boots full. Very handy, and don't weigh much.

I prefer water filter pump, but tablets are lighter. Boiling your water, is OK if you have plenty of fuel. Few do.
Real light weight slippers for wearing when drying boots or just letting your dogs breath.
In your 1st aide kit throw in a little tube of super glue. If someone gets cut open that stuff can save a hunt.

Why are you backpacking for Caribou? That is a long way to pack a caribou out, let alone 3 of them. Sounds like an adventure though. Ed F

It should be an adventure. We are doing it this way because my friends are tight with the buck and for the fun of it.
Jay

Why are you backpacking for Caribou?

Are you implying that they are a lesser game species, so they do not deserve the respect of a backpack hunt compared to say, a dall sheep???

A backpack 'bou trip is on my 2011 list of hunts to do.

G L chasendeer and if you need a place to ship gear to early shoot me a PM.

Are you implying that they are a lesser game species, so they do not deserve the respect of a backpack hunt compared to say, a dall sheep???

I didn't read it that way. Really thought he was emphasizing difficulty. Ernesto, you halfway thru a natty pack?:p:D

I didn't read it that way. Really thought he was emphasizing difficulty. Ernesto, you halfway thru a natty pack?:p:D

AK Amber all the way. Can't get the good stuff in texas. Its only in AK, ID, MT, WY, WA, OR...

Someday Ken, someday!

So Ken if Jose asks that question hes an ass, and if I ask that question I'm a drunk. no fair........

Last edited:
Jay,
I would spend more time shooting your gun the next couple months so you can pack way less ammo..............its heavy. 10 rounds should be PLENTY:)

Nope. I don't know where that reply came from. I was implying that a backpack hunt for caribou is not necessary. You can make any hunt as hard as you want. I understand all about saving money and adventure. Packing an animal and camp 10 miles in Alaska is a pretty good feat. Sorry if I ruffled anyones feathers. Chasendeer, Good luck on your hunt and I hope to read about the adventure.

You can get Alaskan Amber in Ca too. It's almost like being there. Ed F

Last edited:
Nope. I don't know where that reply came from. I was implying that a backpack hunt for caribou is not necessary. You can make any hunt as hard as you want. I understand all about saving money and adventure. Packing an animal and camp 10 miles in Alaska is a pretty good feat. Sorry if I ruffled anyones feathers. Chasendeer, Good luck on your hunt and I hope to read about the adventure.

You can get Alaskan Amber in Ca too. It's almost like being there. Ed F

I was just giving you some chit hahahahaha.

I'm doing a fly out caribou trip this fall and it feels like cheating.

Ak amber in CA? Well there goes my saying "you can get AK amber in all states great!". ;) ;)

AK Amber all the way. Can't get the good stuff in texas. Its only in AK, ID, MT, WY, WA, OR...
...AZ...

Dink, you call chaffed bum monky butt, that's funny because we call it Baboon butt. Pretty close. Ha ha. That's funny stuff right there.
We always called it monkey butt also. I was given a couple of these as a joke last year for xmas, but since I always bring the baby wipes I had no use for them and regifted to my brothers this year. :D

anti-monkey-butt-powder.jpg

Good luck on the hunt. Sounds cool.

Well I've gotten most of my gear and it appears to pack better in the wolf pack. It will all fit in the CC but does not feel as nice on the back. I'll be trimming down on a few things in the coming months, but this lets me know that it will fit without a problem.
Jay

i would add a space blanket or lightweight tarp of some sort.
i wouldn't be caught out there with a down sleeping bag
i'd have merino wool...stuff don't stink after weeks in it. better than synthetic
slim the ammo down. caribou die easy
you also never mentioned fuel for the jet boil..bring extra, you can heat a tent and dry it with the jetboil, just take the pot off...works super!
put it all in the pack, then a 50lb bag of salt and start carrying it around....

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back