10 day back pack hunt

I've got the gun to shoot 5/8 @ 100yds so that is a great improvment from 4". I also picked up a digtal scale to start adding up the weight.
Thanks again
Jay

I've got the camp kitchen put together:
Jetboil 15
Jetboil fry pan 10
snow peak stove 4.4
Ti cup 2.2
Ti bowl 2.2
Sea to summit spoon .2
32oz gaterade bottle 1.8
water balder 5.
Kitchen sink 3.6

Total 44.4oz 2lbs 12.4oz

Snow peak stove will be a back up and use with the fry pan. The fuel will be carried by my partners.
Any commits would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Jay

Is anyone else in your party bringing a stove? I'd ditch the Jetboil, frying pan, and cup... You can use your Ti bowl to cook/boil in.

I can manage to get by for a week with:

MSR pocket rocket
Ti bowl
spork
2 fule canisters

Is the area you're hunting 'dry'? 7-10 miles across the tundra will s-u-c-k. :)

I'm told that tundra will not be a issue. I'll be the only one with a stove they will have the fuel and water filter. The fry pan is for those fresh caribou loin chops.

I'd ditch the Jetboil, frying pan, and cup... You can use your Ti bowl to cook/boil in.

I can manage to get by for a week with:

Concur.

I'd also bring either the water bottle OR the water bladder.

I've got the pack loaded, it comes in at 55lbs. I was hoping to keep it under 50 but for 10 days it is not that bad I hope.
Jay

I'm told that tundra will not be a issue. I'll be the only one with a stove they will have the fuel and water filter. The fry pan is for those fresh caribou loin chops.
I don't know who told you that but if you've never hunted on open tundra on foot before, your in for a treat.

Bring a head net too, when you get a caribou down and those noseeums and white socks start biting, you will be glad you have one. I've done the 5 mile death march for caribou off the Haul Rd before in hip boots, I can't imagine doing it in just regular hunting boots with all that wet tundra.

Where are you planning on hunting?

Last edited:
So what area are you hunting? I've hunted several of the general caribou hunt areas by atv or walking and they all required walking across some tundra.

Are you hiking into the DCUA? If so, I know that area very well and know where there is an established moose camp or a F&W cabin where you can make your base camp.

The list looks pretty good, but a bit heavy. I'd kill the pump filter & take tabs instead (more reliable).

I don't know about the Crystal Light, but I use a powder called Zipfizz (get it at Costco) that is a sugar free energy drink--tons of vitamin B, potassium & a bit of caffeine & guarana--better than Gookinaide & way, way better than Gatorade, IMHO. It also masks any taste you might pick up from the purification tabs.

I use a half a tube with water for light workouts or a full tube for heavy workouts.

Best of luck nailing a big caribou.

+1 On the Zipfizz. We never leave home without it.

First Post

This being my first post and not wanting to piss anyone off - but having been there done that - with this group of hunters I would add "prayer". Before such a trip you should do a little more research and not just rely on this or any other board to plan your trip. That many days in the wilderness with weather that is not always predictable can make your trip extremely uncomfortable to say the least. My only two questions are is what kind of survival training and equipment do you have and how good of shape are the member of your party are in? That alone can make all the difference in a great hunt and one we hear about on 7 o'clock news. My humble opinion. No disrespect intended.

Ron

I don't take that offensively. We have hunted in the wilderness many times as a group. If I do happen to make the 7 o'clock news, I will have gone out doing what I love.
Jay

Jay,
Good luck on your hunt. If you need anything when you get up here shoot me a PM and I"ll give you my contact info.

This hunting season I"m going to be spending my time in ANC. No regrets :D

Oh Jesus... BTW the "7-o-clock news" is actually at 6-o-clock up here.

Good luck on your hunt chasendeer! If anything I think you might be over prepared for your trip. :)

Well we made it back with out being in the news. No big bou's.Had a great time will tryto get a couple of pics up soon.
Jay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back