Yet another WY Goat Thread

Elkwhisper

Spent last week "shopping" for goats in WY. I got a call about 2 weeks ago from one of my bosses asking if I had the time to take a customer on an antelope hunt in WY. Not being one to ever turn down a hunt, I jumped at the chance.

We drove down from Billings to Glenrock last Monday and started our hunt on Tuesday. Seemed awfully strange to drive by literally thousands of antelope, just to go hunt antelope, but that is just what we did.

This hunt was hosted by Leupold and there were 10 hunters in camp. It was a great group of guys made up of reps and customers from across the US. There were guys that have taken truck loads of antelope, and several that had never even seen one before.

After looking at 100-150 bucks in the first 3 hours of the first morning, it became very apparent that the outfitters claim of more than 4000 resident antelope on this ranch, was no exageration.

Finding goats was not a problem whatsoever.... In fact I don't think there was more than 5 minutes that went by that we weren't in sight of antelope. There were even bucks chasing does arround in the farm yard at times, and right behind the bunkhouse. I looked at more antelope in the two days I hunted, than I do in entire seasons in MT.

I figure I looked at probably 400+ bucks before I pulled the trigger.... many of which may have been bigger than the one I eventually took. I am pretty happy with the one I took though.... and not neccesarily because of the size. After driving right up to countless bucks, I found it much more rewarding to conduct an hour and half long stock on foot on this buck, ending in a shot through the heart at 402 yards........ Although being the true sportsman I am, I did give him the obligitory warning shots required by an unwritten but very much respected Wyoming law.

I did get some great video clips of this and other bucks, and as I get time I will try and post some of those as well.

Elkwhisper

Attachments

• WY GOAT.jpg
    WY GOAT.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 326
  • wygOAT2.JPG
    wygOAT2.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 334
Nice buck, yea one thing about long range shooting is practice, take's those warning shot's out of the equation, dad and I zero at 250 and regularly practice at 4-500 yards and at the particular elevation we have chosen too hunt. that way we get the most out of the shot we are presented with, sorry about the rant, great hunt and sounds like the bucks were out and about....
Matt

NHY,

Yes it is a Sako Finlight in .300WSM VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS with Optilock rings.

Dink,

You can't have my job! I like it just fine and don't plan on going anywhere...... Although archery season in MT happens to be by far my busiest time of the year workwise. Makes it tough to devote much time to chasing elk :(

Elkwhisper

Congrats, EW. What does a guy have to do to get invited on one of those hunts hosted by Leupold? Tell Pat, Mike, and Andy, that I would gladly fill in next time they have any openings. :D

NHY,

Yes it is a Sako Finlight in .300WSM VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS with Optilock rings.

Elkwhisper

just picked up the exact same rifle with the optilocks.....only killed paper so far with it, how do you like that rifle/caliber?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back