Caribou Gear Tarp

Yellowstone wlk not doing well with wolves

Good article indeed - “…elk on Yellowstone's northern range numbered roughly between 17,000 and 19,000. In the three winters prior to 2008, annual elk counts had declined to between 6,738 and 6,279.”

Wolves/predators move elk from higher density forage in meadows to lower density browse while on their winter range. Lower calving production, not just direct predation.

That article is 15yrs old and the claim seems like complete nonsense- saying all elk are losing weight during the winter is because of wolves. Elk always lose weight in winter if they are doing it right and not camped out on a pivot.

The 88 fires created ideal habitat for the herd. The peak population and introduction of wolves coincided. The habitat changed over the next 20yrs. That variable has to be accounted for.

Pretty much since the article was written the Northern elk population has been on an uptrend. I would say it is probably just natural predator/prey cycles. The issue may be people at universities have to write things.

IMG_2151.jpeg

I watched a really good documentary about the elk population decline in yellowstone.

Tldr version: The native cuthroats have been pushed out of lake yellowstone and associated drainages by lake trout. Those cutys never spawn like they typically do in early spring - and grizzlies are eating elk calves as a spring food source in lieu of the trout that go upstream/drainage to spawn. I cant find it - but if i remember the name ill post a link.

Wolves tend to be pushing the easy button to complain about elk/moose other declines - and they are part of it - but its ecological much more complicated than that with native/non-native species mixed, habitat degradation, no management (fire or logging in most forest) of forest growth, climate change, and a bunch of other ecological impacts i am completely unaware of. Before someone corrects me i realize that yellowstone is the exception to the fires - but the entire ecosystem is not that way.

REALLY OLD reference there!

Probably some folks closer to it than I am. Feel free to help me with the latest.

My way too simple understanding of how things went.

1) Lots (some might say too many for the habitat) of elk
2) Wolf introduction changed movement patterns dramatically and habitat quality and especially riparian vegetation and habitats showed marked improvement (admit I can't recall how much a factor the big fire was in that)
3) Elk Declined, Bison issues increased, and some loss of the beneficial impacts of wolves noted earlier has occurred.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back