Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

x-bows Montana illegal for old and handi-cap , during the archery season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not crossbows but I 100% know that the reason airguns were approved for Idaho hunting was based on airgun manufactures and lobbyists putting on a show for the Idaho commission about how great and cool they are. I’m guessing crossbow manufacturers have a lot more money to spend than airgun manufacturers

Good info. Maybe I am naive. I think it is worth me spending a little time researching for sure just to relieve my curiosity.

One thing I do know is that their have been very few negative impacts from crossbows being legal here in terms of pressure and harvest rates.

I also know that western states have different variables than what we deal with. Our hunter numbers are shrinking here. Generally healthy deer numbers aside from some over-pressured public ground. Here we need to shoot more does and less bucks especially on public.

One place here I think crossbows may be detrimental is on the few pieces of public that have very few rifle hunting days. They get absolutely mobbed during the rut by bow hunters, both vertical and crossbow because there is no rifle during the rut on them. Not sure to what degree doing away with crossbows would relieve that pressure.

Another great one was when Toby bridges was threatening federal lawsuits against states if they didn’t allow for scopes on muzzleloaders; I doubt he really cared about older hunters with bad eyes, I’d guess it had a lot more the do with scope companies and muzzleloader companies that were paying him

Very good point. What works one place may not work another.

Have any citations that the crossbow industry was the catalyst for expanding crossbow hunting during archery season in Mississippi?
I'm not sure about the driver. I wouldn't doubt the industry had some influence. It could also be MDWFP trying to drive license sales. Unlike states with draws and limited tags, we have unlimited licenses. A base hunting license and then another fee for Primitive/archery. Within the past 10-15 years our Primitive season went from true muzzloaders to 45-70/444/35 whelen single shots, to now on private land you can just buy the primitive license and hunt with a rifle. They also added a doe-only primitive season before the rifle opener.

I'm not sure about the driver. I wouldn't doubt the industry had some influence. It could also be MDWFP trying to drive license sales. Unlike states with draws and limited tags, we have unlimited licenses. A base hunting license and then another fee for Primitive/archery. Within the past 10-15 years our Primitive season went from true muzzloaders to 45-70/444/35 whelen single shots, to now on private land you can just buy the primitive license and hunt with a rifle. They also added a doe-only primitive season before the rifle opener.
Fairly similar here. No more muzzloader season now it is “primitive” single shot breechloading firearms with an exposed hammer and that are .35 caliber and above. I think it is more about license sales, recruitment, and trying to keep harvest numbers stable for both that rule and the crossbows.

Reactions: CMF
Another great one was when Toby bridges was threatening federal lawsuits against states if they didn’t allow for scopes on muzzleloaders; I doubt he really cared about older hunters with bad eyes, I’d guess it had a lot more the do with scope companies and muzzleloader companies that were paying him

Probably right. And honestly that is one of the two primary advantages with a crossbow is the ability to put an optic on there. The other obviously is that you don’t have to draw with an animal within shooting range. #3 would be the ability to shoot from a rest when one is available.

i have been thinking Wyoming too ? but i have hunted Montana the last 25 years and know where the elk are much better or more , when i was younger and heathy then i learned plenty of the why and where of elk . son and i have shot some dandy bull elk in Montana with a bow ,also have friends in Montana too that feel the same way about x-bows ,that they should be allowed for the old and handi-cap.
No

Noodling chick...no way it could be Hannah Baron.
Too bad.😉🤣
Didn't know who that was so Googled her. Sitting looking at pics of a half naked girl noodling when I hear my wife behind me "what are you doing" in that tone where you know she's not actually asking a question. Next thing I'm trying to explain how a crossbow thread ended here.

Didn't know who that was so Googled her. Sitting looking at pics of a half naked girl noodling when I hear my wife behind me "what are you doing" in that tone where you know she's not actually asking a question. Next thing I'm trying to explain how a crossbow thread ended here.
Sorry to lead you astray.
Tell your wife some guy in Montana is responsible.
Normal behavior here with 7 months of cold weather gear.

I realize that there are a lot of folks that aren’t interested in facts and data when it comes to this subject and I also realize that what works for one State won’t necessarily work for another. Also, this article is focused on whitetails. Nevertheless, here is some data presented in this article:

You are missing the point. It’s not a concern about harvest percentages jumping through the roof, it is resistance to more people crawling over the landscape during the elk rut. You can’t compare whitetail deer hunting (primarily on private land) in states out east to elk hunting in Montana (primarily on public land). They are two completely different scenarios so your article isn’t applicable to this conversation.

At 78 hard-earned years of age I shoot a longbow. Your friends are pussies. You can hunt with a crossbow six months of the year. You don't need to infringe on authentic archery hunters' season. What's the problem, Kemosabe?
easy to post and be negative on a keyboard , that`s fine you shoot a long bow , just don`t get keyboard mouthy with me. makes me laugh

You are missing the point. It’s not a concern about harvest percentages jumping through the roof, it is resistance to more people crawling over the landscape during the elk rut. You can’t compare whitetail deer hunting (primarily on private land) in states out east to elk hunting in Montana (primarily on public land). They are two completely different scenarios so your article isn’t applicable to this conversation.

Pretty sure I said that what is good for one State or
region is not necessarily good for another about half a dozen times in this thread alone…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back