Wyoming, we dont want you DIY hunters.....

Hey guys, if you want to teach people the features of the respective fish and game websites, please do so. A lot of guys could benefit from some of that experience all of you have with these cyber tools.

Just keep it civil and helpful. As of right now, the tone of this is headed toward the recycle bin.

I will say that Idaho's interactive hunt planner is amazing. It has layers upon layers you can add, like trails, roads and seasonal roads, public land boundaries, and is a piece of cake to switch between USGS topo, aerial, Google Earth topo, etc.

Just keep it civil and helpful. As of right now, the tone of this is headed toward the recycle bin.

This thread is actually quite civil compared to when Buzz gets involved over on MM. ;) Just stirring

Hey guys, if you want to teach people the features of the respective fish and game websites, please do so. A lot of guys could benefit from some of that experience all of you have with these cyber tools.

This seems to be a reoccuring tone on a few threads lately, which I'm sure is fairly obvious to a lot of people. Maybe because it's winter? It's getting old that's for sure. Find the common factor.

I will say that Idaho's interactive hunt planner is amazing. It has layers upon layers you can add, like trails, roads and seasonal roads, public land boundaries, and is a piece of cake to switch between USGS topo, aerial, Google Earth topo, etc.

Montana's has been improved quite a bit over the last year as well. Not as good as Idaho's, but not far behind.

http://fwp.mt.gov/gis/maps/huntPlanner/?ugb=true

No doubt they have a great interactive map. And lately they have started becoming more active with their Facebook sites...I think they have three different regions, Southwest, Salmon, and Clearwater, as well as coordinating with the Citizens Against Poaching pages. They are really making a valiant effort finally on the social and public media to keep people informed.

Now...time to work on making sure the draws go smoothly. That process needs attention.

Randy,

No, but why bitch on a bulletin board and make a stupid statement that Wyoming doesn't want DIY hunters?

How much more interactive do we need?

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1001819.aspx#Elk

I guess NR hunting was impossible prior to the computer, google earth, and a one-click link to everything.

If a person cant find what they need to hunt Wyoming, they aren't trying very hard. Give me 10 minutes and a credit card and I'll be elk hunting.

Well for starters the PDF map of the unit boundaries kind of sucks. In a way, I miss the days when you had to order USGS quads and you didn't have Google Earth to "see" an area without ever being there.

But, this is the 21st century and it's not like it would be very hard to add an interactive mapping feature that would overlay the unit boundaries onto a USGS topo view, or aerial view so guys could more effectively get a feel for the access points and road systems in a unit.

I've spent a lot of time on Idaho's site doing some research for potential new hunt areas. It was really nice to be able to look at an area with the different layers to get a feel for which units have high road densities, which have ORV trails open in September, etc. It saves me time and money not having to order USFS maps, BLM maps, etc.

Apparition,

I find it pretty offensive that you made the statement you did, considering what Wyoming does to encourage NR/R DIY hunting. The premier access program in the West, reduced price antlerless tags, high success, HMA coordinators that are expanding access as well as keeping tabs on elk herds for hunters, reduced price NR youth permits, providing 16% of all LQ elk, deer, pronghorn tags to NR, several thousand general elk tags with MONTHS of available seasons on one tag, leftover tags available OTC, archery and rifle opportunities with one tag, just to name a few

Hardly the efforts of a state that "we don't want you DIY hunters"...I apologize on behalf of Wyoming that we don't do more. I guess its easier to focus on the one thing that Wyoming doesn't do, rather than the quality of the over-all effort. Efforts that most other states don't put a lick of time into, like those I provided above.

Maybe give the Cheyenne office a call and let them know your opinions: 307-777-4600...maybe even offer up some $$$ to improve things.

Last edited:
I have never felt that way. WYO is different than MT which is different than UT.

I have viewed cyber scouting as only one layer. I have called and talked to the biologists and game wardens in WYO and they have always been more than helpful. In many cases, you are calling there home phone and wife will answer. I know if I were in there shoes, I might not be quite as accommodating. (But I can be an @ss!)

Research and play in the sandbox everyone else plays in. You will do just fine.

Nothing beats good old fashioned paper topo maps. Plus the batteries never wear out.

Some of these early morning tiffs are better than caffeine. Funny how this evolved into a chamber of commerce sizzler.

Wyo here I come....;).

Apparition,

I find it pretty offensive that you made the statement you did, considering what Wyoming does to encourage NR/R DIY hunting. The premier access program in the West, reduced price antlerless tags, high success, HMA coordinators that are expanding access as well as keeping tabs on elk herds for hunters, reduced price NR youth permits, providing 16% of all LQ elk, deer, pronghorn tags to NR, several thousand general elk tags with MONTHS of available seasons on one tag, leftover tags available OTC, archery and rifle opportunities with one tag, just to name a few

Hardly the efforts of a state that "we don't want you DIY hunters"...I apologize on behalf of Wyoming that we don't do more. I guess its easier to focus on the one thing that Wyoming doesn't do, rather than the quality of the over-all effort. Efforts that most other states don't put a lick of time into, like those I provided above.

Maybe give the Cheyenne office a call and let them know your opinions: 307-777-4600...maybe even offer up some $$$ to improve things.

Lol, man you offend easy, I was ranting about their website, nothing more nothing less.
Guess I just got spoiled hunting in MT and ID.

Once again, thanks everyone else for there help!!

Man! Buzz you need to go to a corner and have a good cry and get over it (and yourself)!!!

If I had a dollar for every time someone has told Buzzy to do that, I would be hunting Moose, caribou, and brown bear in Alaska this fall. lol ;)

Not sure why anybody uses Google Earth but that's just me.
Both WY and NM have GIS files for unit boundaries, as do most states. Using a mapping program like Arcgis Explorer you have sat imagery as a base layer, add a topo and BLM/State land server and you're all set. Caltopo and G4map also have topo and sat as std overlays.

When I read the title to the thread I thought for sure the discussion would be about something I heard a long time ago: Non-Residents have to have a guide to hunt big game in Wyoming Wilderness Areas. I don't know if that is or ever was true, but I think that would keep me out (I only hunt public land, I only hunt Wilderness Areas, and I only hunt alone). I always thought that would keep me out? Back when I heard about this (true or not) the argument was they didn't want people getting lost. However, hikers and fishermen don't need guides so I just figured it was the Outfitter's Lobby.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this. :eek: I've hiked all over that state but I've never hunted it. I would love to, especially the Wind Rivers.

I like WY. There is ZERO pressure on G&F to be "best of breed" with their online service. As hunters who venture beyond the county line and into places we have never set foot then we notice when G&F websites make things easy for the NR.

I generally have about 20 hurdles to clear before set foot on an out-of-state hunt and quality of the F&G website is at most 1 of the hurdles.

If you find a F&G website lacking, please do call them. There are people there who are busy but if something is pointed out with a possible solution (i.e. is there anything like the mapping I see at State X on your website) then you might get lucky and spur enhancement.

Biggest hurdle for me is usually my interest in sampling pastries and second helpings.

I am in a very boring meeting and this thread just got me through another 15 minutes and I learned some map tips too. I would love to watch ultimate fighting between famous forum users.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back