Wyoming, we dont want you DIY hunters.....

Heres another site that may be of some value, although far from perfect:

http://pathfinder.geospatialhub.org/

My wife is a GIS analyst and I asked her about the GF stuff. She told me that Statewide GIS data is severely lacking in Wyoming. I can concur on this as part of my job is to look at GIS layers for various things.

The WYGF currently doesn't have the funding to create everything that hunters want in GIS, but rather they rely on data that's already available from sources like the UW, State, and Federal Agencies.

The MTFWP was very fortunate that NRIS did a lot of the interactive map stuff in GIS. A good friend of mine did a lot of the GIS for the FWP for their website while he was employed by NRIS. It was funded, and is still funded, by the State, not the MTFWP.

The WYGF is largely hamstrung for a couple reasons, one being that the State of Wyoming is behind the curve on GIS. Secondly, the GF was required to trim its operating budget by 8% a couple years ago. A result of that was a loss to programs, employees, etc.

To further complicate the issue with funding, every single license fee increase bill that was introduced in the previous 2 legislative sessions died in committee. Even though there is over-whelming support of a Resident Fee increase, the tea party (R;s) here defeated all fee increase bills.

So, that leads us to this.

It would be nice, if before people threw their suckers in the dirt over a frickin' website, they would understand the issues we face and why the Residents of Wyoming are putting more resources/money toward things like Access, biology, game management etc. than an interactive map.

If hunters want it all...they better get off their duffs, break out the wallets, and get with the program.

Yes, these type of threads piss me off, in particular when I see the massive amount of effort put in by the Residents, WYGF, and various Wildlife Orgs, to keep the fantastic hunting we have here available to all..

An interactive map is an extra, a nice thing to have...but it doesn't put big-game on the hill or fish in the rivers/reservoirs...nor does it provide public access to private lands.

Frankly Wyoming doesn't need an inter-active map to sell its hunting, but would be nice if it were available. I cant say that about other states like MT and ID. Those states are fast becoming the dumping grounds (unfortunately) for hunters that don't draw elsewhere...but they do have the best GIS in the business!

Its all about priorities...and I have no doubt what the priority should be.

Last edited:
Frankly Wyoming doesn't need an inter-active map to sell its hunting, but would be nice if it were available. I cant say that about other states like MT and ID. Those states are fast becoming the dumping grounds (unfortunately) for hunters that don't draw elsewhere...but they do have the best GIS in the business!

They also allow non resident DIY hunting in wilderness areas.

As of right now, the tone of this is headed toward the recycle bin.

The same behavior just seem to repeat itself thread after thread. Locking them doesn't' accomplish much. Same thing will continue to happen until you stop the people responsible for that type of behavior. The negativity from people like Buzz and Greenhorn never ceases to amaze me. Why you allow it to continue is beyond me but it's your site. I actually knew a guy you kicked off for using a cuss word. Yet you allow cussing all the time for other people. And you allow people like greenhorn to repeat obnoxious gay slurs over and over on these threads. And today you allow Buzz to be a complete jerk as usual. I've lost count how many people he has insulted and told they dont' have a firing brain cell. Actions like this reflect poorly on this site. But if that is how you roll so be it.

The same behavior just seem to repeat itself thread after thread. Locking them doesn't' accomplish much. Same thing will continue to happen until you stop the people responsible for that type of behavior. The negativity from people like Buzz and Greenhorn never ceases to amaze me. Why you allow it to continue is beyond me but it's your site. I actually knew a guy you kicked off for using a cuss word. Yet you allow cussing all the time for other people. And you allow people like greenhorn to repeat obnoxious gay slurs over and over on these threads. And today you allow Buzz to be a complete jerk as usual. I've lost count how many people he has insulted and told they dont' have a firing brain cell. Actions like this reflect poorly on this site. But if that is how you roll so be it.

Punching the boss in the nose will likely get you fired. There are lots of other forums out there.

Last edited:
Do not trust Wyoming harvest statistics. I think they use common core math to come up with their numbers.

This law must have been repealed then (or I'm getting punked):

23-2-401. Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license.

(a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters. The commission may also specify other areas of the state, or specific big or trophy game species, for which a licensed professional or resident guide is required for nonresidents, for purposes of proper game management, protection of hunter welfare and safety, or better enforcement of game and fish laws. The commission may allow licensed guides to accompany more than two (2) hunters but no more than six (6) hunters in specific areas.

"Punching the boss in the nose will likely get you fired. There are lots of other forums out there."

At least he does it in an ADULT AND COURTEOUS method. Insults are not necessary to tell someone that you do not agree with them, however there are, unfortunately, a few that just cannot seem to understand anything else.

This law must have been repealed then (or I'm getting punked):

23-2-401. Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license.

(a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters. The commission may also specify other areas of the state, or specific big or trophy game species, for which a licensed professional or resident guide is required for nonresidents, for purposes of proper game management, protection of hunter welfare and safety, or better enforcement of game and fish laws. The commission may allow licensed guides to accompany more than two (2) hunters but no more than six (6) hunters in specific areas.

I think he was talking about ID & MT. You're correct about WY not allowing the NR/DIY hunters in designated wilderness.

So does Wyoming:)

I recall some "dude" from Montana shot this deer, free of charge, in a Wyoming Wilderness area.

I heard the "guide" was horrible...didn't even bring enough beer, and hogged all the shooting.

2005WyomingDeer4.jpg

Last edited:
I hunted Wyoming for the first time in 2014 and the WGFD website proved to be very useful, once I figured out how to navigate it properly. I honestly can't imagine it being much better than it already is. You can find drawing odds, harvest reports, hunting seasons and regułations, walk in area maps, hunter management area information, landowners who allow free hunting for antlerless animals, phone numbers for all game wardens, etc, etc, etc.

I liked hunting Wyoming enough that I'm already making plans for a two week hunt there this year, and my intention is to hunt Wyoming EVERY year until I'm no longer able to hunt. Who knows, maybe I'll even move there someday, but that's doubtful unless I get divorced first. :D My oldest daughter is 9 so in three years I'm hoping to take her on a Wyoming hunt, and my youngest daughter two years later.

For aerial photography I used the Sheridan County GIS and Google Earth.

And why I haven't toasted your permissions yet, is beyond me. I'm about there, though.

Your buddy you refer to had a propensity to use the "F-word," a lot. When he was told to quit, and that was on multiple occasions, he would go back to threads from before I owned the site (pre-2008) and try to find other cuss words, then post them on the forum. He would send me PMs giving me the business and using his fine language. One of the smartest things I ever did on this site was send him packing. I should have done it sooner. He was the second person who ever pushed me far enough to get banned.

I try to moderate any cussing, but I don't always catch it. I don't moderate the F-word, rather I toast the user.

No surprise you guys are friends. He would snivel about everyone else and was usually the first one to stir the pot. Then, complain when the pot boiled over on him. Kind of like you do.

Some of the guys you always complain about add a lot of information to users of this forum. Yes, at times, the communication styles of some rub me wrong and they know it.

With that, you got anything of value to add to this thread, or do you just chiming in this morning to get your daily dose of complaining and criticism of how this forum operates?

Buzz, did this change, or did I miss something?

Resident Guide License...free of charge.

I've signed off for a number of NR hunters over the years, allowing them access to the wilderness.

Its not perfect, but its better than the alternative...BTW, the wilderness guide law is the biggest joke I've ever seen, wish it would go away.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back