PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Unit 11 Rifle

I don’t think Big Fin ever established a rule you cannot ask questions if you intend to use a guide. Can’t help on unit 11, but have a fun hunt.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the draw! Another question for those that have been there on October 1st. Will there be much bugling going on? I know it’s post rut and they won’t necessarily be coming to a call but hope to hear some bugling.

I've been there the 1st week of October and there was quite a bit of bugling and rut activity going on mostly at night and mid-mornings. This year I camped in the unit for the 2nd week of October, didn't hear any that time. We didn't spend a lot of time at camp though, we were pronghorn hunting nearby.

Thanks for all the good info. I will need a guide if I draw the tag I put in for. Don't want to waste my 10 preference points on myself. Never hunted elk before. Should be fun.

Our group has an average of 7 points this year and put in for unit 11 type 1 tag. We are strongly considering Elk Mountain Outfitters and I wanted to get some advice from anyone who has hunted Wyoming unit 11 elk. They hunt private ground and also hunt the adjacent public ground in unit 11, wherever the elk are at the time. We plan to go October 1-7 if we get drawn. We have never been to Wyoming elk hunting and some of the group may be the only time they go. I’ve spent multiple hours reading and have called a few outfitters but was hoping to talk to someone with experience that isn’t trying to sell anything. Any advice would be helpful, I’ve been buying points for 8 years and want to make sure I try to get as much info as possible.

How many guys in your group? 3? 4?

So now that the deadline has passed, what would be reasonable expectation of the kind bulls to expect to possibility see on this hunt?

Gohunt says avg quality is 270 - 310"

Yea I saw that too. Prolly pretty accurate. I was really asking anyone that personal experience there I guess but thanks for looking that up as well!

I've seen monsters come out of 11 so don't believe everything you see on gohunt.

11 is a great area with no wilderness. You'll be able to hunt steep or flat terrain whichever you want. Lots of moose in that area so know your target. You may see some black bear sign also. This is an area 11 bull, I wouldn't pass on him would you?

By the way all that snow fell in one night, snowshoes and a sled got him out.

attachment.php

The go-hunt information is pretty spot on if you average all the bulls taken from 11 each year. A vast majority wont even be close to 300.

But, I think if a person were to hunt hard, do your due diligence a nice 6 point is possible. Its not known for monster bulls, at all. The best bull I've ever seen killed in 11, and it was the best by a landslide, was a bull that grossed in the low 350's and net scored about 345. Just an awesome bull with hardly any deductions.

I have a friend that used to hunt the private (best private) in a neighboring general unit and he killed 26 6 point bulls in 26 years and the best bulls he killed were in that 320-330 range. Great bulls no doubt, but far from monster class.

If I had that tag, I probably wouldn't be passing a bull that I thought would sniff 320...

Always a chance to do better and you never know, why its called hunting.

I've seen monsters come out of 11 so don't believe everything you see on gohunt.

11 is a great area with no wilderness. You'll be able to hunt steep or flat terrain whichever you want. Lots of moose in that area so know your target. You may see some black bear sign also. This is an area 11 bull, I wouldn't pass on him would you?

attachment.php
Pic of bear sign in area 11 game cam.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 459
The go-hunt information is pretty spot on if you average all the bulls taken from 11 each year. A vast majority wont even be close to 300.

But, I think if a person were to hunt hard, do your due diligence a nice 6 point is possible. Its not known for monster bulls, at all. The best bull I've ever seen killed in 11, and it was the best by a landslide, was a bull that grossed in the low 350's and net scored about 345. Just an awesome bull with hardly any deductions.

I have a friend that used to hunt the private (best private) in a neighboring general unit and he killed 26 6 point bulls in 26 years and the best bulls he killed were in that 320-330 range. Great bulls no doubt, but far from monster class.

If I had that tag, I probably wouldn't be passing a bull that I thought would sniff 320...

Always a chance to do better and you never know, why its called hunting.
Best info I’ve heard! Thanks. Very good perspective

attachment.php

No passing on that bull for me! But I sure hope it doesn’t snow like when I’m there!ha ha

4 Guys in our group.

I'm a novice elk hunter, but I've hunted 11 and nearby units a few times. If you're expectation is for everyone to get a crack at an elk in 7 days then I'd probably go guided. Killing and processing 4 elk in 7 days, DIY, seems like a pretty good amount of work, especially if you're new to the area. I would think that's the case in most any unit, good, bad, or in between. If you want the DIY experience and know that someone might eat tag soup, then it can be done DIY no problem.

Perhaps others will disagree with me. Good luck!

Back