Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Unit 11 Rifle

darrendbeck

Our group has an average of 7 points this year and put in for unit 11 type 1 tag. We are strongly considering Elk Mountain Outfitters and I wanted to get some advice from anyone who has hunted Wyoming unit 11 elk. They hunt private ground and also hunt the adjacent public ground in unit 11, wherever the elk are at the time. We plan to go October 1-7 if we get drawn. We have never been to Wyoming elk hunting and some of the group may be the only time they go. I’ve spent multiple hours reading and have called a few outfitters but was hoping to talk to someone with experience that isn’t trying to sell anything. Any advice would be helpful, I’ve been buying points for 8 years and want to make sure I try to get as much info as possible.

Your in wrong place sorry, we are DIY hunters... good luck with your hunt and ask the outfitter your thinking of using the questions

Thanks, just saw some posts recommending trying a guide. Just wanted to talk about area 11 and if some of the people that have been there and know Wyoming thought in general this is a good unit.

I haven't met him personally but I've heard that Tyler Sims gets some big elk out of that region. His outfitting operation is based out of Arlington. I'll bet that easy big elk will cost you big dollars though.

Not looking for easy, really isn’t the goal. Depends on how you look at cost. You see I knew 9 years ago when I started buying points that I couldn’t afford to go on a guided hunt so I made a decision. I used to stop every day on my way to work and grab a Mountain Dew and a small snack (bad habit I know). That was about $2/day. My decision then was to stop doing that and save that money for an elk hunt so I set up a savings account that automatically transferred that amount towards my goal. If you do the math that alone will put about $6,500 in your bank account. That’s with making no additional efforts in 9 years. So I guess you can say that for the price of a soda, and some other disciplined savings efforts, I can afford to do something now that I never thought I could and may never do again.

Not looking for easy, really isn’t the goal. Depends on how you look at cost. You see I knew 9 years ago when I started buying points that I couldn’t afford to go on a guided hunt so I made a decision. I used to stop every day on my way to work and grab a Mountain Dew and a small snack (bad habit I know). That was about $2/day. My decision then was to stop doing that and save that money for an elk hunt so I set up a savings account that automatically transferred that amount towards my goal. If you do the math that alone will put about $6,500 in your bank account. That’s with making no additional efforts in 9 years. So I guess you can say that for the price of a soda, and some other disciplined savings efforts, I can afford to do something now that I never thought I could and may never do again.

Nothing wrong with doing it that way if that's how you want to do it. Personally, I think I'd rather take more time and do it myself if I waited 9 years for a tag. I can't imagine that if you hunted hard for 2 weeks that you wouldn't have an opportunity at a bull.

Sounds to me like you have planned this pretty darn good, especially if some in your group have never hunted elk before?? I can be a daunting challenge to just find elk in a new area even if you have experience. Good luck with your hunt!!

I am definitely planning on DIY next, and won’t wait so long to do it. I really struggled with the idea of a guided hunt. I always used to think that would lessen the experience or was like cheating. I have a buddy that has gone to Colorado 4 times over 8 years and never got a shot. I know nothing is guaranteed with a guide but we grew up hunting Whitetail’s and have never hunted elk so I’m literally starting from scratch. I’m almost to a point in life where I can take 2 consecutive weeks off but for now I have one shot in 1 week. Trust me, choosing to do it this way was hard and the discipline to save was harder. Maybe a mistake but I’m going to give it a go!

Go for it you have planned this for a long time and worked hard to save funds. Make the most of it. If I were in your shoes I'd go guided also I think if I had saved for it. Everyone's situation is different. With only one week no experience applying so long for that dream tag spend the saved funds on a guide IMO. You won't regret it if you do your homework. The homework is very important with hiring guides.

You can also treat this as a learning experience, and learn everything you can from your guide. May end up being money well spent in the end.

For non-residents, there are many reasons why hiring a guide in Wyoming makes good sense. However, arguably the biggest reason is that you can't hunt in designated wilderness areas without a guide. Many elk are located high up in the wilderness areas during the early season. I just burned 10 Wyoming elk points I've been buying and saving for 10 years since I was 40. Now I'm 50, and I am looking forward to a fully guided Wyoming high country elk hunt by a professional Wyoming Guide. The DIY thing is really cool, but for us Easterners who save time and money for years it seems a good idea to hire a guide to give yourself the best chance of success on a bull with all the points it takes to draw a good tag these days.

Don't let the thought of a guide, or anyone else's thought of guides lessen your experience. It definitely sounds like a well deserved and earned trip. The hard work you put into making this trip happen will make the experience more memorable. As others have said learn from your guide, and ask questions even if it seems dumb. I bet you'll be dying to go out and DIY hunt elk next year.

I got to hunt antelope last year with an outfitter, and I enjoyed the experience so much I made it work where I can DIY hunt antelope this year with my entire family. Good luck and make sure to keep us updated on the outfitter and with hunt updates!

Hit Man and Bagel_7 hit the nail on the head. i have stuck to this website to learn from what hunters think and share on here. And Randy never hesitates to answer my pm's and have made some friends on here. I used to frequent another site until someone got their knickers in a wad because I asked about a guided hunt. And told me that it was a diy site and that what was I going to do, let the guide shoot him for me too. I too have saved my money and am not getting any younger so I'm going on a guided hunt to Montana in November. Good Luck darrendbeck and be sure and let me know how you do. I may want to go to Wyoming in 2019.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the draw! Another question for those that have been there on October 1st. Will there be much bugling going on? I know it’s post rut and they won’t necessarily be coming to a call but hope to hear some bugling.

I've done more than my share of hunts. Guided and DIY. And I could not care less about what others think and neither should you. Life is short. Your biggest regret will always be not going.

I have lived a blessed life. I have done every hunt I ever wanted to and most numerous times. I also am a 6%er. I always tell people that life is choices when asked how I got to go on all my hunts. Like you , I just made up my mind to make it happen. And then did it again and again and again.

I applaud your comitment to make your dream come true and hope you have the hunt of your life and kill a stud.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the draw! Another question for those that have been there on October 1st. Will there be much bugling going on? I know it’s post rut and they won’t necessarily be coming to a call but hope to hear some bugling.

I've hunted neighboring units for years and there have been plenty of times when the bugling gets cranked up late September and carries on to early October.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back