Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Elk NR Application Numbers for 2022?

Your silver lining is that seven points would have put you in a very frustrating middle ground.. too many points to blow on general and not enough for any of the average diy units.
I am exiting WY no man’s land next year. Will split my 8 points with a hunting buddy who is going general with his son this year. Not interested in getting left holding the bag if WY cuts the NR elk tag quota.

Last edited:
Honestly, where are most of these new people coming from??
Others answered this question geographically.

In essence, a great number of hunters have always been there and just haven't yet contributed to point creep:
  • Wyoming has 9,615 non-residents with 11 to 16 points.
  • Only 7,250 tags are available for non-residents.

Others answered this question geographically.

In essence, a great number of hunters have always been there and just haven't yet contributed to point creep:
  • Wyoming has 9,615 non-residents with 11 to 16 points.
  • Only 7,250 tags are available for non-residents.
Holy crap

7250 full price.

there's a lot more NR elk tags to be had after the full price.

Reactions: JAG
WY elk general tag for non-residents to become once in a lifetime tag…… possible recommendation for the next WY wildlife TF meeting? I kid…….. but not really.
Why recommend it? It already IS a once in a life-time and that's only if you started before you turned 50. Now I suspect it is once in a lifetime provided you started before you turned 40. (and, of course, assuming you hunt into your upper 70s at least).

This is why big game hunting is going to die a sad, slow death. Who wants to get into something that will only happen once 20-30 yrs from now?

Why recommend it? It already IS a once in a life-time and that's only if you started before you turned 50. Now I suspect it is once in a lifetime provided you started before you turned 40. (and, of course, assuming you hunt into your upper 70s at least).

This is why big game hunting is going to die a sad, slow death. Who wants to get into something that will only happen once 20-30 yrs from now?
Absolutely, but I would qualify it as NR DIY big game hunting will die a slow death. Who cares if a NR can ever get a big game tag? As long as resident hunters can buy em OTC every year and stash up 10 tags a year, it’s all good right? It’s really sad because I feel like NR DIY big game hunting is what brought a lot of folks to this forum and it is a great resource….

Absolutely, but I would qualify it as NR DIY big game hunting will die a slow death. Who cares if a NR can ever get a big game tag? As long as resident hunters can buy em OTC every year and stash up 10 tags a year, it’s all good right? It’s really sad because I feel like NR DIY big game hunting is what brought a lot of folks to this forum and it is a great resource….
Yup I agree, what’s happening is beyond sad for DIY NR’s. I understand states supposedly own the game and can manage it how they see fit. But when that right is abused, the resource exploited, and the game commercialized to the degree of where it’s going, perhaps it’s time for the feds to revisit that arrangement. That day may very well come.

I am transitioning out of the Western game and into a Midwest deer/turkey/grouse/walleye regiment anyway. Trying to burn my 90th point in 3 years now. Had more than my share of Western trophy hunts and hold an IL LL that assures me quality here. But young taxpaying DIY hunters face a dismal future.

Last edited:
…But when that right is abused and the game commercialized to the degree of where it’s going, perhaps it’s time for the feds to revisit that arrangement. That day may very well come.
I feel for regular DIY NR’s but this attitude ticks me off. So you wanna blow up the whole thing, nuke a lot hard work that WY G&F does very well, and screw it up for everyone (R and NR alike) just so you can ride into the sunset on your high horse? That’s shortsighted at best.

A lot of shared sentiment for NR tags. My son (adult) had 11 points going into draw. He is starting a new career next year and I see the free time to travel out of state to hunt will be very limited. We were very happy he drew a 120 tag, even though a few guys I talked with thought we were nuts to use 11 pts on that unit.
Hoping for the best. Also, thinking odds are long on a deer tag near the unit. We put in for doe antelope, but with tag reductions not sure if that will happen either. Regardless we got one tag and will try to make the most of it.
Thinking back our plan was to draw around 4 or 5 points, but point creep and other issues really extended that thinking.

I feel for regular DIY NR’s but this attitude ticks me off. So you wanna blow up the whole thing, nuke a lot hard work that WY G&F does very well, and screw it up for everyone (R and NR alike) just so you can ride into the sunset on your high horse? That’s shortsighted at best.
Snowman, You don’t get it. Not only do I not have a high horse, but at this point in my life I have NO horse in this race.

WYG&F isn’t exactly Teddy Roosevelt’s poster child. They have had the 2nd most auction/wealth tags in the United States for decades. Second only to the 100% corrupt Utah DWR & Don Peay-to-Play’s auction tag factory. Now seems they are planning to take the next step to King’s hunting.

Last edited:
His horse is not that tall, but it is - exactly - correct.

Snowman, You don’t get it. Not only do I not have a high horse, but at this point in my life I have NO horse in this race.

WYG&F isn’t exactly Teddy Roosevelt’s poster child. They have had the 2nd most auction/wealth tags in the United States for decades. Second only to the 100% corrupt Utah DWR & Don Peay-to-Play’s auction tag factory. Now seems they are planning to take the next step to King’s hunting.
WY’s game management is excellent in comparison to most states. I agree the handout and set aside talk is very bad news. I assume you’ve testified and provided comment in opposition to it as I have.

You guys keep pouting. The rest of us will keep hunting the opportunities that present themselves, no argument that they are diminishing for most species in most places.

WY’s game management is excellent in comparison to most states. I agree the handout and set aside talk is very bad news. I assume you’ve testified and provided comment in opposition to it as I have.

You guys keep pouting. The rest of us will keep hunting the opportunities that present themselves, no argument that they are diminishing for most species in most places.
Pouting??? WTF???
Just posted I have had a lifetime of trophy hunts and am transitioning out. Even lucky enough to have an IL LL for my retirement days. I’m just sympathetic to the next generation getting the shaft everywhere, not just Wyoming.

I was smart enough to cash all my WY points in preparation for this, save elk which I’ll burn next season, so I won’t get stuck holding the bag.

Last edited:
Pouting??? WTF???

…I understand states supposedly own the game and can manage it how they see fit. But when that right is abused, the resource exploited, and the game commercialized to the degree of where it’s going, perhaps it’s time for the feds to revisit that arrangement. That day may very well come.

Sounds like it to me, but I don’t remember the part after that perfectly, and you edited the post so it’s hard to say.

We’re probably more in agreement than not. I just get tired of people complaining how bad it is and pining for federal control of big game, as if it’s this great thing for “the resource”. All the while there are still some great hunting experiences to be had.

I hope those in opposition to the forthcoming Taskforce proposals are as vocal in that venue as they are on here.

Sounds like it to me, but I don’t remember the part after that perfectly, and you edited the post so it’s hard to say.

We’re probably more in agreement than not. I just get tired of people complaining how bad it is and pining for federal control of big game, as if it’s this great thing for “the resource”. All the while there are still some great hunting experiences to be had.

I hope those in opposition to the forthcoming Taskforce proposals are as vocal in that venue as they are on here.
Never did I "pine" for anything. Kindly refrain from putting words in my mouth. I'm just making observations and reporting. Maybe because that's my job at work? These states are making their own beds, not me! And I didn't create nor participate in their 2nd most auction/wealth tags in the United States for decades agenda. Second only to the 100% corrupt Utah DWR & Don Peay-to-Play’s auction tag factory. They did that. Just like Sleepy Joe at the gas pumps.

Attachments

• 3B6EB897-BFF9-4D68-A79A-A76F6423DB10.jpeg
    3B6EB897-BFF9-4D68-A79A-A76F6423DB10.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I’m glad you care about opportunities for future hunters, we’ll see you at the June Taskforce meeting then. 👍

Pouting??? WTF???
Just posted I have had a lifetime of trophy hunts and am transitioning out. Even lucky enough to have an IL LL for my retirement days. I’m just sympathetic to the next generation getting the shaft everywhere, not just Wyoming.

I was smart enough to cash all my WY points in preparation for this, save elk which I’ll burn next season, so I won’t get stuck holding the bag.
You might be holding the bag your point total may not be enough for even general.

Don't get your hopes up.

• Haha
Reactions: Zim
You might be holding the bag your point total may not be enough for even general.

Don't get your hopes up.
Lol not concerned, I have many other options, like 26 Utah & 16 CO deer points needing to get spent, among others. 2024 or 5 would work, or I could just keep all 8. Hope is for newbies. I just strategize, and am very well positioned for WY.

Last year even sat out due to my Covid furlough job, and arrowed a booner (195 2/8”) in Illinois. Not bad for a semi-retirement back-up plan. 😆 He will appear in both the P&Y and B&C books this summer. I’m fortunate to love scouting and have an independent flexible post-Covid job.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back