Wyoming Elk NR Application Numbers for 2022?

JAG

I realize draw results don't come out until the middle of May. So, does anyone know if the number of applications for NR Elk Hunts went up, plateaued, or dropped compared to last year?

I searched the news to see if Wyoming GF published or indicated what the NR numbers are for the 2022 Elk Season. I remember Colorado released similar information to this last year.

I expect it to be record shattering.

Starting to worry I may not catch up with the creep for the general tag...
WY elk general tag for non-residents to become once in a lifetime tag…… possible recommendation for the next WY wildlife TF meeting? I kid…….. but not really.

Well I’ll have 5 points next year I’ll hopefully be able to burn on a general tag. Wish I could have done it this year though. With burning my 5 pts next year wonder if I’ll catch up to the general point creep?
Matt

WY 2019 NR random draw 1st choice = 13582 applicants
WY 2020 NR random draw 1st choice = 11889 applicants
WY 2021 NR random draw 1st choice = 15929 applicants

I'm going to bet that this year its slightly under that crazy jump in applicants last year.
I hope you are right and I am wrong.

I didn't realize there was a dip between 2019 and 2020. COVID?

Well I’ll have 5 points next year I’ll hopefully be able to burn on a general tag. Wish I could have done it this year though. With burning my 5 pts next year wonder if I’ll catch up to the general point creep?
Matt
I’m in a similar situation. I have 5 points now and just hoping to keep ahead of point creep so I can get a Gen tag in the next few years.

I’m in a similar situation. I have 5 points now and just hoping to keep ahead of point creep so I can get a Gen tag in the next few years.
I think your in a great spot likely ahead of the creep and should be good. Problem is with all the tag tightening from extreme demand increase in the west i believe the secret of how good a wyoming general tag actually is out, enjoy your next trip as it may be your last for years.

I think your in a great spot likely ahead of the creep and should be good. Problem is with all the tag tightening from extreme demand increase in the west i believe the secret of how good a wyoming general tag actually is out, enjoy your next trip as it may be your last for years.

Really kicking myself for somehow letting mine and my sons elk points fall off a few years ago. We should be holding 7 going into next season, instead we will have 3.

Pronghorn and deer are intact. I am still clueless as to how this happened and aggravated at myself for somehow letting it happen.

Really kicking myself for somehow letting mine and my sons elk points fall off a few years ago. We should be holding 7 going into next season, instead we will have 3.

Pronghorn and deer are intact. I am still clueless as to how this happened and aggravated at myself for somehow letting it happen.
Your silver lining is that seven points would have put you in a very frustrating middle ground.. too many points to blow on general and not enough for any of the average diy units.

I think your in a great spot likely ahead of the creep and should be good.

I agree with you 100% 5pts should be Ina good spot, but will add this.

I understand @Kiwi is in a unique situation being in another country, but people holding onto points over what is needed to draw is what is driving point creep.

Last year 33% of the general tags went to people who had over the minimum needed in the regular draw. And 20% had over the minimum in the special. There was even someone who used 7pts in the special to draw when 2 was 100% and in the regular 2 people I with 11pt applied when <4 was 100%. 61 people applied with double the amount of points needed in the regular draw.

Now I 100% get people have different plans and life happens so some will cash in higher points. But if everyone above 4pts applied for the general tag point creep would go up for a couple years, but than come back down and normalize around that 4pt mark instead of going up roughly 0.5-0.75pts a year. Unless my mind isn't working these number correctly.

Last year 33% of the general tags went to people who had over the minimum needed in the regular draw. And 20% had over the minimum in the special. There was even someone who used 7pts in the special to draw when 2 was 100% and in the regular 2 people I with 11pt applied when <4 was 100%. 61 people applied with double the amount of points needed in the regular draw.

Now I 100% get people have different plans and life happens so some will cash in higher points. But if everyone above 4pts applied for the general tag point creep would go up for a couple years, but than come back down and normalize around that 4pt mark instead of going up roughly 0.5-0.75pts a year. Unless my mind isn't working these number correctly.
This is happening because of what @JAG just brought up. There are people like myself stuck between the general tag and above average opportunities (think of tags like the big horn or snowy archery tags). Those tags are creeping hard upward and those that are 2-4 points behind are realizing that they its not 2-4 years to wait but almost double that so 4-8 years. Top that with guys like @Big Fin endorsing on his videos and podcasts about how great the Wyoming General tag is and how its the best Elk value tag in the west and you get those people jumping ship and just grabbing the general tag. As @ccc23454 mentioned, the quality of this General tag is no longer a secret and people are buying into it!

The optimist in me hopes that the numbers will drop this year since the Covid hysteria is not as intense. Randy gave this positive "gut" hunch in a podcast last fall and I like it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back