Wyoming Elk - I need a lucky break

Wow, the wind is screaming up here. Fingers are not working very well.

Some others guys had a similar idea and scaled a knob below, about a mile SE. They packed up and headed down. Pussies. Or, maybe they are smarter than me. A problem with being of Finnish heritage is thatyou often are too stubborn for your own health and well being. This may be a good example.

No complaints from the camera guy. I suspect he prefers freezing on a windy rock, rather than a continuation of yesterdays death march.

Gotta go. I feel a bull is coming my way. Could be a hypothermic hallucination.

Go get 'em Fin! If it gets too cold, shoot an elk, gut it, and crawl inside.

Need the wind doping chart for 50 mph. Might have to find a rock for protection. This is getting out of hand.

No elk ...... yet.

Not one elk spotted today. No surprise. All the smart elk were laying down while I was perched on that rock. Have a world class windburn. Eyes are bloodshot and dry. My lips are swollen like I had a botox injection. A pitiful looking case I am tonight.

Last day is tomorrow. If ever a miracle was coming my way, I hope it comes tomorrow.

Wind ran me off the mountain before noon today Fin, you are tougher than me for sitting there all day.

Sounds like one of those "character building" days my dad taught me about! Trust you can come back strong tomorrow.

Left the truck before sun up. 14F when we left. Climbed from 7,700' to 8,100'. Got to the ridge top just after legal shooting light. The wind yesterday was just a warm up for today. Holy crap. Glassed until I could not feel my fingers or cheeks. Employed the face mask, but still not enough.

Finally, after three hours, I could take no more. UNCLE. I had to leave as I know my cheeks and nose were getting the start of frostbite.

Warmed up in the truck and moved lower. Things don't look very appealing from down here, but the temps are warmer. Fingers are actually functioning again.

Not sure what the wind speed is. For Casper they forecasted 30mph, but up here and in this big basin, it is well beyond that.

Not sure there is a big enough miracle to pull this one out on the last day. Hard to glass much from these foothills and I doubt any elk will move until this wind dies down.

Of my six days here, I spent two days getting stuck, driving to town for chains, fighting snow drifts, and retrieving camp. Of the for days hunting, three had winds in excess of 30mph, with gusts well above that. But, like everyone else, I can't do anything about the weather.

Like most guys, I have to block out five or six days knowing things might not be perfect. With cameras scheduled and filming permits paid for, we have to hunt, no matter the conditions. Very similar to the guy who secures his week vacation. No matter the conditions, you cinch down the pack, shoulder the rifle, and attack the ridge.

All it takes is one bull. :)

Wind whipped, tired, cold, and throughly beaten. Put myself through more torture the last week than any episode since the North Dakota mule deer with Buschy.

The elk win. Many pieces of equipment are in need of some degree of repair, including me.

Leaving windy Wyoming in the morn and on to snowy Colorado for an Over The Counter elk hunt.

Sorry for the beating you took at the hands of the elements. Thanks for taking the time to take us along with you.

Leaving windy Wyoming in the morn and on to snowy Colorado for an Over The Counter elk hunt.

I love to hunt but as many days as you are putting in and all in a row...that would do me in. I would be missing the family too much. Wish I could of been there freezing my giblets off with you. Good luck in Colorado.

I'm still saving a Montana deer hunt for you since i can't seem to find a deer on the Bridgers:eek:

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justin.webb
Back