Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Wapiti23

Hello everybody, i was wondering if anyone could help me find an antelope hunting unit with alot of public land and alot of antelope. I would love to get a goat in the 75+ range. Willing to apply for a few years. Thank you for your help.

I think the Southwest part has the best hunting but the central part seems to have the most antelope. Go to the Wy. G&F website & download the 2010 hunting regs, you'll find a lot of good info on their site.

What units in the southwest would you consider to be "trophy" units. Im not lookn to hunt this fall so am willing to apply a few years. I'll look into the central units as well.

I build points for the trophy units while still hunting antelope with left over tags.Look at Wy. WMA's for private land open to public with permission in some left over tag areas.Thats what I did last year, and there was some really nice bucks around.I missed one in archery and went back with a gun and took him home.I'll keep building points this year, but will still be antelope hunting

What units in the southwest would you consider to be "trophy" units. Im not lookn to hunt this fall so am willing to apply a few years. I'll look into the central units as well.

I would say any of them could be considered trophy units. I have hunted many of them, and I think a great buck could be taken in any unit. Same with most the central units, also.

My theory is that I would rather go hunting five times and know I am not in a premium unit, than to wait five years for one shot in a premium unit. Personally, I think too much emphasis is placed on premium units, at least for antelope. I know guys on this board are shooting B&C bucks in the non-premium units every year. Just one guys opinion.

The other problem with waiting to draw a premium tag is that the year you draw may not be good for horn growth. Drawing a great tag following a bad winter/spring basically gives you an average tag you've waited 5 years to draw.

On the other hand, if you draw in an easy to draw area following some good weather conditions...your non-trophy unit could find you in good shape for a trophy buck.

I see lots of hunters that have waited a long time to draw the premium antelope areas shoot very average bucks with those tags. I think spending time scouting and learning to judge bucks is more important than drawing a premier area.

I'd follow Fins advice...

Big Fin and Buzz H, I know what you guys are doing! Your trying to keep us from putting in for the good units by telling us to "go over there and hunt"!:rolleyes: And I almost fell for it!:D
Nah, just kidding.
I`m looking into going to Wyoming as well next year for antelope and I`m taking all of the advice that I can get! It took me a month to figure out the Wyoming Reg book. I think that will be my biggest hurdle. After that the hunt should be a piece of cake!:D

Wyomings regs can be a bit confusing especially when each unit/region may have a different opening day than the one next to it. Better read carefully! I typically put in for a premium unit on my first choice than my second choice is in a unit that i have a good chance of drawing.

This will be my first time applying. I have never hunted outside of whitetails in WV. I read thru the WY Regs and I think I understand it pretty well. I guess I put in for a hard to draw unit as first choice so I can build up the preference point that is included in the license price when I don't draw that unit, second choice is the one that I would most likely draw. I looked thru the resource page here and it looks like there are plenty of units that I could draw with no points. Question is, which unit do I want to put in for? Everybody keeps saying the western part of the state. How do I know which units have the most public land access?

You need to check the demand reports for the standard and special priced hunts, for the random draw. There are only so many hunts that will guarantee you a tag on a 2nd choice draw. The high price draw will open up more units.
My daughter and I have max and we are going to go for a guaranteed 2nd choice draw. She got a Turkey last year and now she wants try something bigger.

I have been told they sort by points for the 2nd choice draw, but I have also been told they don't sort. If they sort, that in itself will help a bunch once you get points.

I hunted unit 38 a couple of years ago and drew the tag with zero points. Plenty of public area but there is checkerboarding in the southerm part of the unit.

I agree with Big Fin as my buddy and I both shot animals that were representitve of the species and didnt have to wait five years to do so. Go hunt...

WV Hunter, You'll get a PP if you don't draw your 1st choice & you paid the extra fee for the PP; $316 for the regular or $556 for the special. Some make the mistake of not paying the extra money for the PP. You want to be careful when applying in a unit that has a 100% draw as some units have very little public land. Several units will have leftover tags which a lot of hunters just wait to see what's available & not enter the draw, it saves them money. Are you planning on camping or staying in a motel? That may sway you to a specific area depending on your answer. If you like PM me the units you're looking at & i'll see if i can help.

Alright, thank you guys thank you for all the help. I'll just study the wyoming website some more for drawing odds and for the units with public lands with a good chance on drawing a tag for maybe a 2nd draw unit.

Does anyone know anything about Antelpe unit 25? I have seen on eastmans mrs that it says public access is poor but when i look at a BLM map of 25 it shows there to be quite a bit of public hunting areas. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this unit and difficulty of finding hunting lands?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back