PEAX Equipment

Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last Wyoming 90/10 thread got to 214 posts. You guys are losing your touch. Only at 160 posts so far.
Challenge accepted.

I'm fine if WY wants to go to a more strict 90/10. That's up to the agency and residents to decide, but Non-residents should also be considered for their input, since they're the one's who will be most affected.

Yes, wildlife and the easy, cheap access to opportunity are the largess of the residents. They live in that state, pay the freight for schools, fire departments, etc. They deserve to be at the front of the line. That should be something we all can agree on. But, if we're going to continue a funding model that relies on Non-residents funding roughly 70% of our game agencies, then listening to those customers and taking their input in, and ensuring good customer satisfaction is also a critical part of this equation.

But all in all, what we're really talking about is the reduction in wildlife, and who gets to shoot what, when, where and in what numbers rather than how we build herds back, increase wildlife populations and improve habitat conditions while also managing the allocation of licenses.

Hunters tend to get wrapped around the axle of opportunity first, and the resource second. This thread really highlights that.

Challenge accepted.

I'm fine if WY wants to go to a more strict 90/10. That's up to the agency and residents to decide, but Non-residents should also be considered for their input, since they're the one's who will be most affected.

Yes, wildlife and the easy, cheap access to opportunity are the largess of the residents. They live in that state, pay the freight for schools, fire departments, etc. They deserve to be at the front of the line. That should be something we all can agree on. But, if we're going to continue a funding model that relies on Non-residents funding roughly 70% of our game agencies, then listening to those customers and taking their input in, and ensuring good customer satisfaction is also a critical part of this equation.

But all in all, what we're really talking about is the reduction in wildlife, and who gets to shoot what, when, where and in what numbers rather than how we build herds back, increase wildlife populations and improve habitat conditions while also managing the allocation of licenses.

Hunters tend to get wrapped around the axle of opportunity first, and the resource second. This thread really highlights that.
Bringing intelligent thought to a good pissing match? How dare you!

when colorado proposes flat 80/20 across the board and unlimited otc goes away these threads will look pathetic

i'm just not gonna call NRs whiners when that happens. cause it will suck for them, hugely.

that said it needs to happen. good reasons for wyoming to change the split, too. but as an NR, it sucks as these things are proposed.

Last edited:

Exactly. It's easy to get hunters fired up when you start slicing the pie differently to their detriment. Not so easy to get them engaged on the issues that are shrinking the pie.

when colorado proposes flat 80/20 across the board and unlimited otc goes away these threads will look pathetic

i'm just not gonna call NRs whiners when that happens. cause it will suck for them, hugely.

that said it needs to happen. good reasons for wyoming to change the split, too. but as an NR, it sucks as these things are proposed.
It's pretty sad that when this process in WY is done, CO will likely be about the only state that gives NR more than 10% initially. And yet our hopes, our dreams, our aspirations, are that someday CO residents might get 80% across the board, and that's mostly just a pipe dream. ;)

It's pretty sad that when this process in WY is done, CO will likely be about the only state that gives NR more than 10% initially. And yet our hopes, our dreams, our aspirations, are that someday CO residents might get 80% across the board, and that's mostly just a pipe dream. ;)

it is a pipe dream

i just keep telling myself at some point the commission will be between a rock and a hard place, perhaps a gun to their collective head and their options will have run out.

but of course, colorado outfitters always seems to have a bigger gun, so does the dollar bill it seems.

Aaah yes, the place of thoughtful conservation discussions.
Including some of the classic issues that matter to our hunting heritage, like:

- Is Cam Hanes a good guy, or should I hate him?
-Is Steven Rinella a good guy, or should I hate him?
-How wolves are destroying the West, eating all the elk and screwing up our children's values
-How bear spray is useless, and big bore pistols are the ONLY reliable way to stop a grizzly
-"There are only supposed to be 150 wolves in Idaho! That's the number!"
- This exact thread, but somehow less rational.

Did I miss any? 😁

Waiting to hear what you have to say on this topic...
I've already provided my opinions on the prior 90-10 threads. Didn't feel the need to waste some of my few minutes of spare time kicking the long since dead horse.

My summary on other threads - Wyoming residents are entitled to do what they want and I'll work within that system. Long since decided by the USSC that states have that right as Trustee of wildlife within their boundaries. If I lived there I'd have been working toward the 90-10 allocation a long time ago.

I've benefited from WY's generosity and I'll hate to see it change. But, any non-resident claiming they are worried about small town economies or the impact on WY G&F budget doesn't pass the "laugh out loud" test. Yeah, I worry about those kind of things in a general sense, but my wish for WY to keep status quo in tag allocations is purely my own selfish reasons. I'm not going to pretend I'm a traveling non-resident hunter for altruistic reasons of funding agency budgets and spending tourist dollars. If I was, I would go there fishing, vacationing, and doing other things that support small towns. If I was so concerned about WY G&F budgets, I would buy one of every license/stamp they issue, whether I intend to use it or not, and I would double my annual $200 donation to their Access Program. I don't do that, so I'm not going to hide behind that argument as for why I will mourn the change in WY.

I suspect there are almost zero non-residents who, if they were WY residents, would be making the same claims they are making as non-residents. I get why each party feels the way they do. Both groups are voicing the comments most would have if they were the shoes of the other party. The big drama over all of it is rather humorous to follow, which is why I don't spend too much time weighing in on it.

Ancillary to this is my prior "meh" response to the WY Wilderness restriction on non-residents. Due to WY's generosity toward non-resident tag allocations, I've never made it a big deal in light of how much opportunity we had. I suspect I'm not alone in saying that if it goes 90-10, I will take a lot more interest in seeing that rule changed.

Gotta run, giving only a slight kick to the dead horse.

That's right I'm doing my best to get the word out to as many nonres as I can possibly can across the US! I'm pretty sure it's working. At least nonres that enjoy hunting on their own won't be shocked if this comes up on the legislature. Hopefully enough nonres will voice their opinions that something will be done to stop it!

If you are a DIY hunter and enjoy hunting big game on your own you ought to be concerned with what's going on in Wyo. That's exactly what this website is about! Nonres opportunity for those that enjoy hunting on their own will be lost....big time if this passes!

There are a gob of nonres that live in the midwest and east that there only opportunity to hunt big game species such as antelope, deer, and elk is Wyo and other states in the West. OYO hunters are losing out big time with 90/10 in Wyo if this passes!

Last edited:
That's right I'm doing my best to get the word out to as many nonres as I can possibly can across the US! I'm pretty sure it's working. At least nonres that enjoy hunting on their own won't be shocked if this comes up on the legislature. Hopefully enough nonres will voice their opinions that something will be done to stop it!

If you are a DIY hunter and enjoy hunting big game on your own you ought to be concerned with what's going on in Wyo. That's exactly what this website is about! Nonres opportunity will be lost....big time if this passes!
Since TopGun passed I've been waiting for someone to swoop in and take up the cause of unbridled exclamation point usage. That day has come.

Big fin, so you are totally fine with what happened in New Mex to OYO nonres? I’m pretty sure this same thing could potentially happen in Wyo.

Also, nonres have invested up to 25 years into the Wyo pref pt system and 77% of license and pref pr revenue comes from nonres that support the WGF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back