Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimss

If you are a concerned nonres and have years of applications and $ invested into the Wyo pref pt system....especially for the Big 5 species you can submit comments directly to the Task Force for the July 8th meeting. You must do this by 5:00 pm on July 6th!

90:10 would cut nonres limited tags in 1/2 and require twice as long for ALL nonres to draw tags. For the Big 5 this would likely mean that those that don't have max pts or close to max pts may never draw tags. Nonres that have invested years and $ into a draw system will suddenly have the light switch flipped off with these changes!

The more nonres willing to comment, the more attention will be given to nonres at this and other meetings!. There are no nonres members on the Task Force even though nonres stand to loose so much with decisions made! Sending comments is the only voice you have unless you attend one of their meetings.

Here's a link to submit your comments: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

If you are a concerned nonres and have years of applications and $ invested into the Wyo pref pt system....especially for the Big 5 species you can submit comments directly to the Task Force for the July 8th meeting. You must do this by 5:00 pm on July 6th!

90:10 would cut nonres limited tags in 1/2 and require twice as long for ALL nonres to draw tags. For the Big 5 this would likely mean that those that don't have max pts or close to max pts may never draw tags. Nonres that have invested years and $ into a draw system will suddenly have the light switch flipped off with these changes!

The more nonres willing to comment, the more attention will be given to nonres at this and other meetings!. There are no nonres members on the Task Force even though nonres stand to loose so much with decisions made! Sending comments is the only voice you have unless you attend one of their meetings.

Here's a link to submit your comments: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

Thanks for the heads up!

Did WYOGA put you up to this?

I'm not a fan of the WYOGA...they have their own agenda which usually is not good for the DIY/OYO hunter! According to those that attended the first Task Force meeting the WYOGA is in favor of 90/10 for the big 5 species. Does that raise any red flags in the Wyo wind? Why would they shoot themselves in the foot? Makes no sense to me unless they are figuring out a strategy for set aside outfitter and/or landowner tags.

There are quite a few outfitter and landowner members on the task force. If you ask me, that's a very scary combination. If they can pass a "guide in wilderness" law there is a great chance they can take tags away from the public nonres and res draw that goes directly to outfitters/landowners. This happened in New Mexico several years ago and pretty much screws those that love to DIY hunt public land.

If you are a concerned nonres hunter please provide public comments through the task force website by the July 6 deadline! https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

I'm not a fan of the WYOGA...they have their own agenda which usually is not good for the DIY/OYO hunter! According to those that attended the first Task Force meeting the WYOGA is in favor of 90/10 for the big 5 species. Does that raise any red flags in the Wyo wind? Why would they shoot themselves in the foot? Makes no sense to me unless they are figuring out a strategy for set aside outfitter and/or landowner tags.

There are quite a few outfitter and landowner members on the task force. If you ask me, that's a very scary combination. If they can pass a "guide in wilderness" law there is a great chance they can take tags away from the public nonres and res draw that goes directly to outfitters/landowners. This happened in New Mexico several years ago and pretty much screws those that love to DIY hunt public land.

If you are a concerned nonres hunter please provide public comments through the task force website by the July 6 deadline! https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input
Feel free to listen to the recording...Sy Gilliland spoke out in favor of 90-10.

You're really going to be whining after the meeting on the 8th...

Sy will be rewarded. I’m sure the “task force” will give him a share of the non resident tags soon enough so the outfitters, can sell them to the highest bidder. Additionally, the ranchers and landowners will take another slice of NR tags to sell to the highest bidder as well. Wyoming will be the new Europe and make New Mexico look like a great option.

Follow the money.

I am a huge supporter or public land DIY. However, this has been going on for years. Too many states are overcharging NR and de-valuing NR contributions…IMO. Given the rest of the states out west…I believe Wyoming will change their structure. They have been very generous to NR but that is going to change. I don’t think this will be good for hunting in general but will benefit the residents of Wyoming (I was a Wyoming resident at one point).

I believe in the very near future we will see a push for landowner tags and outfitter set aside. Make no mistake, the WYOGA does not care about NR hunters. I believe they would like nothing more than to force every NR to have to go guided.

I totally understand the resident hunter push for the tag allotments to change but I don’t think it will get them what they are looking for. I believe the greed (not by Wyoming residents but by special interest groups) is really going to hurt hunting in the long run. I wish all the states would go to a uniformed tag allotment system to address special interest influences but don’t think that will happen. I believe there is going to be a continued push to carve out special tags for groups and we are dealing with a limited resource.

I will continue to find hunting opportunity for me and my son out west. I am not sure which state will be the best in the long run but we will still be able go hunting and I am hopeful that I can move back out west this next year. My only hope is that the short sighted approach does not destroy public land hunting as I know it.

Good luck this season.

Last edited:
Buzz is looking out for the Wyoming resident hunter. I don’t fault him for that. While his approach can be a bit toxic to me, he has done a lot for hunting and I am grateful.

I think this push is long overdue but don’t think it will get the Wyoming residents what they are looking for. I hope he has a very productive and happy hunting season and post pictures of his success.

How many tags per year does the resident hunter need?
About as many as residents in MS get...

Bag Limits Antlered Buck Deer: The statewide bag limit on antlered buck deer is one (1) buck per day and three (3) per annual season. One (1) of these three (3) may have hardened antlers that do not meet the unit legal antler requirements on private land and Holly Springs National Forest. For youth hunters fifteen (15) years of age and younger, hunting on private land and authorized state and federal lands, all three (3) of the three (3) buck bag limit may be any antlered deer. Antlered buck bag limit in the North Central Deer Management Unit (DMU) is one (1) buck per day and four (4) per annual season. No antler restrictions apply to this DMU. All four bucks may have any sized hardened antlers. Antlerless Deer: Private lands: The statewide annual bag limit on antlerless deer is five (5). The antlerless bag limit for private lands in the North Central DMU is ten (10) antlerless deer per season. Antlerless deer are male or female deer which do not have hardened antler above the natural hairline. Only two (2) antlerless deer may be harvested from the Southeast Unit. There is no daily bag limit on antlerless deer in the Northeast, North Central, East Central, Southwest, and Delta units. Only one (1) antlerless deer per day may be harvested in the Southeast DMU. U.S. Forest Service National Forests: The bag limit is one (1) per day, not to exceed five (5) per annual season except in the Southeast Unit, which is two (2) per annual season.

Since the 90/10 discussion came up I've thought a lot about how hunters in other states would react if their opportunity were in any way limited so NRs could have "opportunity" in their state. I feel pretty confident that if you told people in North Carolina and Virginia, where I grew up, that they could only shoot 4-5 deer instead of 5-6 so nonresidents could hunt in the state their response would be "they can go f@*! themselves."

For what it's worth, my comments to the task force included outfitter and increased landowner tags being a redline for my support.

Since the 90/10 discussion came up I've thought a lot about how hunters in other states would react if their opportunity were in any way limited so NRs could have "opportunity" in their state. I feel pretty confident that if you told people in North Carolina and Virginia, where I grew up, that they could only shoot 4-5 deer instead of 5-6 so nonresidents could hunt in the state their response would be "they can go f@*! themselves."

For what it's worth, my comments to the task force included outfitter and increased landowner tags being a redline for my support.
That's an apples to oranges argument. I don't think southern and eastern hunters have the same hostility toward NR hunters. Lots of deer, lots of opportunity. Nobody is going hungry.

That's an apples to oranges argument. I don't think southern and eastern hunters have the same hostility toward NR hunters. Lots of deer, lots of opportunity. Nobody is going hungry.

I don't care how they react when there's lots of opportunity. Easy to be generous when there's lots to go around (even if there's little public land). What happens when they loose 1/5th of their deer population in 20 years like we have with pronghorn? They don't have any hostility because they don't face NR demand because they aren't offering anything unique to nonresidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back