Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s hope it doesn’t go like the wilderness rule……. DIY non-resident hunters are such an easy target.

It has been brought up, on HT, by WY residents…but since there are 893 threads that either devolve into, or in the case of this one, start as the same old thing it’s getting hard to keep track.

Agreed, but it keeps getting brought up because it is THE question IMO and it keeps getting dodged. I can’t see outfitters supporting this if there isn’t something else in it for them.

I think the 90/10 is only fair, honestly. Not sure that’s the real issue here though. No disrespect to Buzz, but if the expectation is that residents “deserve” to shoot 6-15 big game animals a year, you’re going to run out of animals eventually no matter how much you limit NRs. You’re going to need a bigger pie and/or smaller appetite.

I agree with Bayou. What will the WY outfitters and landowners ask for in return for backing 90/10 for residents? Obviously the Big 5 are first, then deer, elk, and antelope next. I wonder if it's set aside outfitter and landowner tags next? Where does the madness stop? I have a feeling it could be a big cluster like what happened in NM several years ago!

It certainly would be nice to stop it all from the start with 90/10 for the Big 5!

If you are a concerned nonres you are running out of time before the July 6 deadline to submit your comments.

Here's the link to submit your comments: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

I get what you are saying. I've run into NR hunters here in my home state. But, I don't feel like they are taking from me. Those are public lands, and open for all to enjoy. If a NR kills a buck, I'll be the first to offer help packing or dragging.

I quit applying to NM a couple of years ago. I have the worlds worst luck. As a diy guy, I'll likely never draw a good tag there.
Wyoming is headed the same direction. Within a few years, Diy hunters will be lucky to get 5-6% of LQ tags.
I understand your points just don't really agree with some of them. I think most Western States are slowly headed that direction and I don't blame them to be honest. I'm glad I've already gotten to enjoy most of them at some point and hate the thought that future generations may not have the same luxury. But resources are limited and residents get first bibs at the end of the day. They don't have to issue anything to a NR as we all know. The easiest solution to the problem is to relocate in said State, which is also happening at an alarming rate the last few years. That will also lead to less NR tags eventually.

All ill add to the monthly 90/10 dead horse is that I have hunted 11 states as a resident and in all 11 states NRs were frowned upon the same amount as every other state. Just go to a local watering hole and im not talking about a B-dubs im talking about your get your teeth knocked in for playing the wrong song on the jukebox watering hole.

Well, not surprised WY is bandwagoning towards trying to milk NRs for more money to have less opportunity. Various states added a license requirement to apply, increased application fees, added habitat fees, raised tag costs, excluded certain tag types or public lands from access by NR, cut tag allocations, added point systems and increased point costs. Much more than the rate of inflation while typically residents see costs lag inflation. I support states managing wildlife and screwing NR as often as they want. Anyone expecting less as a NR is not paying attention. What can a NR do? Do not build up points for more than 5 years or so before drawing a so-so tag. The rules will change to your detriment before you ever get to front of the line for a premier tag. What about the Big 3? You are flushing money as a NR.

WY will soon join other states that have changed the rules and put the screws to NR including UT with the Expo tag grab of NR allotment of Big 3 tags, NM with the NR tag cut of Big 3 tags and AZ which cut the NR tags in half by throwing what were NR tags into the combined R/NR bonus point draw with no longer any preference to NR for the tags. Probably forgot some states actions.

You get the point (pun launched). There is no such thing as a point investment. Instead, you are providing charity as a NR though can't deduct the donation on your taxes. Perhaps this sucks. No one deciding the upcoming changes cares one bit about you as a NR. Not the F&G, not the Legislature, not RMEF or other NGOs and not the motel owner. Tough love. Now you know. You are not as special or loved as you thought. You are sugar daddy in a mostly platonic relationship and really you ain't getting much action in recent years and soon will get less. You are a rich man whose wife is headed to the other side of town. Boys, play Lyin' Eyes.

The 90/10 proposal may be too near its infancy for this kind of math to have been done, but does anyone know what the impact to G&F’s annual budget will be? Presumably non-resident fees will increase quite a bit to to try to cover some of the shortfall here, but I’m not sure they would increase enough. I’m not talking about the loss of incidental revenue—hotels, meals, gas, etc, etc—I’m just wondering what the overall loss of tag fee revenue numbers would look like in a 90/10 scenario. Maybe it’s not much. Maybe as Buzz notes G&F is sitting on enough cash that it’s not really a consideration at this point.

The 90/10 proposal may be too near its infancy for this kind of math to have been done, but does anyone know what the impact to G&F’s annual budget will be? Presumably non-resident fees will increase quite a bit to to try to cover some of the shortfall here, but I’m not sure they would increase enough. I’m not talking about the loss of incidental revenue—hotels, meals, gas, etc, etc—I’m just wondering what the overall loss of tag fee revenue numbers would look like in a 90/10 scenario. Maybe it’s not much. Maybe as Buzz notes G&F is sitting on enough cash that it’s not really a consideration at this point.
Well no one really knows but several users have done some back of the napkin math in one of the other 75 threads about this issue. It's like you said, they can probably just raise some fees here and there and that will do the trick.

About as many as residents in MS get...

Bag Limits Antlered Buck Deer: The statewide bag limit on antlered buck deer is one (1) buck per day and three (3) per annual season. One (1) of these three (3) may have hardened antlers that do not meet the unit legal antler requirements on private land and Holly Springs National Forest. For youth hunters fifteen (15) years of age and younger, hunting on private land and authorized state and federal lands, all three (3) of the three (3) buck bag limit may be any antlered deer. Antlered buck bag limit in the North Central Deer Management Unit (DMU) is one (1) buck per day and four (4) per annual season. No antler restrictions apply to this DMU. All four bucks may have any sized hardened antlers. Antlerless Deer: Private lands: The statewide annual bag limit on antlerless deer is five (5). The antlerless bag limit for private lands in the North Central DMU is ten (10) antlerless deer per season. Antlerless deer are male or female deer which do not have hardened antler above the natural hairline. Only two (2) antlerless deer may be harvested from the Southeast Unit. There is no daily bag limit on antlerless deer in the Northeast, North Central, East Central, Southwest, and Delta units. Only one (1) antlerless deer per day may be harvested in the Southeast DMU. U.S. Forest Service National Forests: The bag limit is one (1) per day, not to exceed five (5) per annual season except in the Southeast Unit, which is two (2) per annual season.
Apples and oranges.

What if the "90" in the 90/10 were only allowed to use those tags on private land or land owned by the state ... and not any of the Federal land owned by all of us ... just a thought.
It's something many of us ponder from time to time. But I mean, there are plenty of western states that are far less generous to NR than Wyoming (and I don't mean generous in an altruistic sense). I think there's probably no risk of an act of Congress to that effect (closing federal lands to hunting) unless and until a state tries to completely block NRs from accessing federal lands.

But it's an interesting question. The animals belong to the state, but access to them in many places belongs to the federal government.

I also sort of hope that, given the other issues our country currently faces, that this is far down the list of priorities in Congress.

, but does anyone know what the impact to G&F’s annual budget will be?
None.
The reduction in non-resident full price LE tags will be offset by an increase in non-resident full price General tags.

So only western states have anything unique to offer to non-resident sportsman?

SMH....

I was talking specifically about deer hunting Virginia and North Carolina. I have lived in both for a combined 25 years. The hunt experiences are carbon copies of each other within each states' coastal plains, piedmont, and the Appalachians. Very similar hunts can be found in WV, TN, KY, etc.

I was talking specifically about deer hunting Virginia and North Carolina. I have lived in both for a combined 25 years. The hunt experiences are carbon copies of each other within each states' coastal plains, piedmont, and the Appalachians. Very similar hunts can be found in WV, TN, KY, etc.
Ah, I see. That makes sense I suppose.

I was thinking along the lines of, hunting the Ozarks in Arkansas and Missouri is very different from hunting the Mississippi River Flood Plain or the Gulf Coastal Plain here at home.

To me each place I hunt is a unique experience. Not only in the hunting aspect but also the culture and local history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back