Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WY Wilderness Rule ?

The heartburn I have is I can spend the next two weeks hiking around alone, with no guide, in the same exact terrain as in a few months for me to hunt requires I have a guide. I can fish there. I can bird watch. Take pictures.

So, is not a safety issue.

Is merely a full-employment guide welfare initiative. Bernie Sanders would be proud of you Wyoming. Feel the Bern.

As someone originally from Wyoming that still has family and friends in the state.
I love to debate this issue with them as it is a stupid law. It is nothing more than a subsidy for Wyoming outfitters and only the poor ones at that. A good outfitter would have nothing to fear, as there are plenty of outfitters in states that allow NR in wilderness.

Its welfare but I don't see it changing soon.

I think its very un fair on our 50 state public federal land to require guides and out fitters ,only in Wyoming in the lower 48!!!the way I see it is Wyoming is nearly as corrupt as Utah and the out fitters "bobbed some knob" back in the day to get this one politically thru,,really gets my goat as a d I y er.this is public land for all of us to use,not land for the outfitters to hoard off as theres.

I think its very un fair on our 50 state public federal land to require guides and out fitters ,only in Wyoming in the lower 48!!!the way I see it is Wyoming is nearly as corrupt as Utah and the out fitters "bobbed some knob" back in the day to get this one politically thru,,really gets my goat as a d I y er.this is public land for all of us to use,not land for the outfitters to hoard off as theres.

Please educate yourself, you do not have to hire a guide or "out fitters" to hunt wilderness areas in Wyoming.

Last edited:
I thought the nonresident guide rule was a load of crap, then I moved to Wyoming and magically my perspective changed. Sure it sucks for nonresidents, but as resident I am looking forward to hunting the wilderness areas near me with a higher percentage of resident hunters, and there is a ton of other public land to hunt here. Anyhow, this season I'll still be spending a lot of time hunting outside of the wilderness because in Wyoming you have to live in-state for a full year prior to application for your tags to be considered a resident by the WY G&F.

Please educate yourself, you do not have to hire a guide or "out fitters" to hunt wilderness areas in Wyoming.

Personally I would pay an extra $300 bills per tag to keep non-residents out all together. But like the wilderness issue, tag fees and such have to go through the state legislature. The Wyoming Game & Fish just cant decide one day to change it, it must be done at the state level via state reps. So you can have your pipe dream, I'll have mine.

If residents will pay enough for tags, fishing license, rafting trips, motel, etc that non-residents are not needed so are banned from those activities then g-o-f-o-r-i-t. Have non-resident truckers stay out, too. Stop recruiting out-of-state players for your college football teams. Wyoming can be for Wyoming. Just like in the 1500s.

If residents will pay enough for tags, fishing license, rafting trips, motel, etc that non-residents are not needed so are banned from those activities then g-o-f-o-r-i-t. Have non-resident truckers stay out, too. Stop recruiting out-of-state players for your college football teams. Wyoming can be for Wyoming. Just like in the 1500s.

I didn't know truckers and college football players (and terrible ones if we're talking UW football) were big hunters. Or have we strayed from the hunting issue all together?

I edited my original post in an effort not to pull the thread off topic, sorry I didn't do it soon enough.

Fact is I wouldn't go to Alaska and then whine about having to hire a guide since im not a resident, just like I wouldn't go to Wyoming and complain about not being able to hunt wilderness. I would probably hunt the other hundreds of thousands of acres of public land that isn't "wilderness". Or I'd go to Colorado. This comes up every year during the spring/summer.

Last edited:
Two facts regarding the issue at hand:

1) It's a horseshit rule that should be pretty hard for ANYONE with a conscience to defend.

2) It's highly unlike to ever change.

The only way to get it changed would be to have the neighboring states to put a reciprocal agreement in that required WY residents to have an outfitter or "friend" to hunt other wilderness areas in other states.

If you want it changed, petition your own state to put the same requirement on WY residents. That MIGHT would get the resident support we are looking for.

The rule is clearly garbage.

And from a non-resident hunter's perspective, a powerful argument against ever creating new Wilderness Areas in Wyoming.

And from a non-resident hunter's perspective, a powerful argument against ever creating new Wilderness Areas in Wyoming.

To my knowledge, only 2 groups (BHA and TRCP) have even discussed/considered that regarding the WPLI if new designations are considered from existing WSA's.

I think there are some serious concerns and the TRCP rep and I talked about somehow excluding any new Wilderness designations from the wilderness guide law.

If the WPLI process gets any legs at all, that discussion needs to happen...and will.

This rule, regardless of how one feels about it, is really only welfare for outfitters to the extent people are unaware that ANY Wyoming resident can go to a WYG&F office and get a free non-commercial guide license. Just make some friends. Not having hunted for long and wanting to get more familiar with the wilderness areas, I'd love to "guide" a more experienced out-of-state hunter in a wilderness area.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with those who don't like the rule, but as a resident, I like the idea of having a place to get away from out-of-staters since the lack of people is one of the perks of living here. For better or worse, we Wyomingites tend to be a little nativist.

This rule is the direct and only reason why Wyoming misses out on my money for elk every year.

I think the idea of making a WY resident friend just to go into wilderness areas without a guide defeats the point of public land. Its essentially no different than having to ask permission to hunt a guy's private land. Too much of hunting access is tied up in social contracts in one form or another and the point of federal land is its as much mine as yours as citizens of the US.

This rule, regardless of how one feels about it, is really only welfare for outfitters to the extent people are unaware that ANY Wyoming resident can go to a WYG&F office and get a free non-commercial guide license. Just make some friends. Not having hunted for long and wanting to get more familiar with the wilderness areas, I'd love to "guide" a more experienced out-of-state hunter in a wilderness area.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with those who don't like the rule, but as a resident, I like the idea of having a place to get away from out-of-staters since the lack of people is one of the perks of living here. For better or worse, we Wyomingites tend to be a little nativist.

Regardless of the law, most yuppies are not going 30 miles deep in the wilderness without an outfitter. Or 3 miles

Nonresident, and I do not think the law is that unfair.

Buy the steaks and the beer for a resident friend and let's go hunting.

Outfitters are the necessary evil of hunting. Not always needed, but many provide a necessary service.

There are good and there are bad.

Buyer beware!

I was just about to post that the only people who like the rule are probably from Wyoming. This is not a knock on you in particular. I might feel the same way if I lived there. If this were state land that we were talking about, I wouldn't have an issue with it, but it is federal land. Federal land belongs to all of us.

Federal public land shouldn't have limitations set on it by a state regardless of who is in charge of state game. It's a silly rule no matter how you look at it. Set state land aside. It would make more sense. Not Federal land which every us citizen has a right to and pays for. Asinine rule.

It's just selfish to think otherwise. That's the problem you have with these republican ranching states. They want everything for themselves even if they don't have a legitimate claim to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back