MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

wy antelope questions

pseshooter300

I'm trying to do some research for a Wyoming antelope hunt I have never done anything like this before just trying to get started doing some research it may be next year or it may be two years before I can go or even find someone or some guys to go. I half to imagine that the terrain and hunting is a lot different than the mountains here in East Tn. I here people talking about points do I half to have points to draw a tag? When is the deadline each year for Wyoming and what is the cost of buck and doe tags? I also here people say just wait till leftover tags come on sale what are the advantages and dis advances to this Is there a state wide rifle season or is it by zones? I have a ton of questions but I figure that is why this is here for help. Do most people camp or stay in motels in the near by towns? Also how far are the shots normally I mean at what range should I expect to be taking a shot with a rifle? I'm assuming a 300 win mag would be fine for the range that I would be shooting. Also what are the guidelines to checking in the animals do they half to be checked in hole or can they be quartered and if they can be what are the laws on that? I know I have asked a lot of questions I'm sure there will be more also if you want to add anymore advice that would be great

A friend and I hunted Wyoming two years ago for the first time. I went through the same process you are going through now. I found that the Wyoming Game and Fish site was the best resource http://gf.state.wy.us/. You can print the regulations from there. You can also find some great information on draw odds, public land, access to public land, walk in hunting areas, etc. I would suggest you start there to get most of the info you need. If you run into some specific questions, let me know. There are guys with a lot more experience hunting WY than me on here, but I was in your shoes just a few years ago. Wyoming is an awesome place to hunt! Good luck.

Slow down there partner! We were all in your shoes at one point and sought help. However, before people will answer your questions you have to do some homework. Do a search on this site and there are a lot of threads concerning WY antelope. Sit back and read as many as you can, Also go to the WY game and fish site and read the NR booklet. Tons of info there. Once you’ve got a good foundation people will gladly answer your questions that don’t involve them giving up their honey holes. To get you started I will answer some of the questions you asked off the top o my head cause Im at work and I’d rather talk huntin than work today :)

Terrain: mostly flat in lope country
Points: A lot of units require you to have points to guarantee you a tag but you always have a shot without points. There are leftover tags in many units (primarily in NE WY) but you’ll notice they have limited or a lesser amount of public land. This may or may not be a deterrent to you.
Deadline: App period is from Jan 1 – Mar 15 for lope. Results are out in June.
Cost: Buck tags are around $300. Doe tags like $40 or something
Where to stay: This is personal preference. I like to camp when lope hunting but others prefer to motel it. It may also depend on what unit you hunt
Shot distance: Be comfortable to 300 yards and you will get shots. I’ve killed lope from 50-300 yards. Better hunters than me that frequent this site have killed them even closer

Good luck. Lope hunting is fun and an very easy DIY hunt

Thanks for the info and advice so far and the links I will go and check them out and go to wy game and fish website. Also what garmin gps and SD card would work to show me public land and private land. Thanks again for the advice

Again, get active on the forum and use the search button which is the third from the right or seventh from the left. Tons of info and good advice here if you will look for it.

Thanks I have been going back and reading a lot of older posts trying to do some research I guess this is the start. It might take me a while but I will get there.

:)Just got back late last month from hunting wyoming myself for the first time ,as stated above Hunt Talk is loaded with tons of info ,there also has been a few guys on this site from wyoming that were very helpfull as well. I would also suggest Eastmans Journal magazine, with your subscription you will get draw odds and harvest stats ,trophy areas and all kinds of info on almost all western states. I personaly did a ton of research at home looking at maps ...Choosing an area is key!!!.... public or private, going alone or with a group the list goes on, it all worked for me , I seen over 20 antelope bucks the first day I hunted ,but I was being pretty selective, I have killed 2 antelope before in oregon and montana, check out my pics on my profile page ..... oh ya ,as for caliber to use ,any thing YOU can shoot with accuracy and confidence, and as far as distance, anywhere from fairly close range to 1000 yrds ,use the land to try to sneak up on them if you can, all three I killed in less than 100 yrds buy stalking as close as possible. Do your Research its kinds fun and Good Luck!!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back