MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Would you ever pay an access fee?

IMO it takes away from the DIY aspect and it only feeds the greed. Yah its not guided but its not diy in my book. I still believe if u work hard enough u can find the animal u r looking for on the millions of basically unexplored public acres out there, id rather give that $ to support land acquisition for p hunting,
hats off to RMEF and others keeping DIY alive

Last edited:
I can think of two places I would if the the opportunity arose and I had the money. I hunt the borders of these two areas and cant imagine what it would be like to hunt the other side. Hundreds of elk and dozens of vocal bulls that will rarely come across the fence. It may take away from the public land experience but it would provide a whole different experience that cant be replicated on very many pieces of public land.

Have in the past, I participated in draw annual leases for duck blinds on some popular and or private lakes in Oklahoma. If you drew, you paid a minimal fee to build a blind and have first access in the morning. I chose to do that to have a place to take my children to hang out where they could be dry, and not standing in knee deep water and maybe shoot a duck or two. Don't know if I'd do that here, but I trade some work here and there with friends to have access to some farms.

Yes I have and would again but like most it's situation dependent. Certain critters in certain places, not a chance but other places I very well may. In the end I've only got to make me happy...

I love the comments regarding paying for access takes away the DIY characteristics of the hunt! Guess if I own it or am given free permission the DIY aspect is restored?

I have been more lucky than most to always have private ground to hunt here in Indiana without money being exchanged. doing a little work, cutting up some trees that have fell in the fields, or just stopping in and checking on the landowners and bringing them some of the game I harvested to share, have always been well recieved and have built lifelong friendships. I think here in Indiana, at some point, it will all be "pay to play" type hunting. The farmers are seeing that they can lease the non tillable ground to hunters and make some money, so, you cant really blame them. . .I just hate to see it come to that.

I have been more lucky than most to always have private ground to hunt here in Indiana without money being exchanged. doing a little work, cutting up some trees that have fell in the fields, or just stopping in and checking on the landowners and bringing them some of the game I harvested to share, have always been well recieved and have built lifelong friendships. I think here in Indiana, at some point, it will all be "pay to play" type hunting. The farmers are seeing that they can lease the non tillable ground to hunters and make some money, so, you cant really blame them. . .I just hate to see it come to that.
Have you seen basecampleasing.com's billboard on 1-70 as you head east into Indy? Hunting Leases...the next cash crop! :rolleyes: With the OBR and IN gaining in noteriety for big bucks, the pay to play will becoming more and more and more and more common.

Me personally . . . . . No.

I am no lawyer, but once you "charge" don't you open yourself up to being more easily sued if something goes wrong (i.e., breaking a leg in a hole in the ground, damage to one's vehicle or person from poor roads/two track, etc.). I would think a property owner would need some type of insurance to cover something of this nature. So, in the end . . . it wouldn't be worth charging a "Trespass fee".

Have you seen basecampleasing.com's billboard on 1-70 as you head east into Indy? Hunting Leases...the next cash crop! :rolleyes: With the OBR and IN gaining in noteriety for big bucks, the pay to play will becoming more and more and more and more common.

1pointer, I have not seen the billboard, but, not suprising really. I totally agree that it is the next cash crop. I have seen a lot of friends lose their ground because someone came in and offered the farmer $ 2,000 or more per year to hunt. . .its sad, but, its the reality I guess. I have to say that my #1 spot here in my county was visited by a few guys from Iowa a week ago looking to lease and the farmer told them no that he had someone hunting it. . .made me feel really good about the bond I with have formed over the years with he and his wife. . .and proof that not everyone is so greedy. I still believe a storm is brewing with a lot of the private ground around here though. . .money talks here, just like in most places and with the quality of our deer. . .its a matter of time. 73 acres that border my dads place is for sale ( all but 4 acres are woods) Id love to have it, but, they want $ 355,000 for it. . .I'd have to sell a kidney! lol.

I never have, but I probably would depending on the situation and the cost of the access.

The trouble I have with paying an access fee is that I'd probably feel obligated to take an animal from a place I had paid to access. Another problem is that if you find a good place at a reasonable rate, someone could pay more than you and you're out the following year. Landowner could decide to quite allowing paid access and do a yearly lease, etc. etc.

I'd rather spend my time and money finding places on public lands that I at least know I'll have continued access to in the future.

Too many variables with leases and access fees.

I usually don't, but have. Myself and a few other guys paid $50 each to hunt a ton of land for antelope in a unit with about 12% public land. Sure, we've killed many on public land and didn't need the private, but man did it cut down on driving all over the unit to glass each little square mile chunk of public. It was nice to have that much land, no pressure, and no having to drive all over god's green earth. I wouldn't pay much more than that though. If the area I was in had enough public, there's really no need to pay a trespass fee IMO. If the public land is extremely scattered, I'll pay a SMALL trespass fee.

1pointer, I have not seen the billboard, but, not suprising really. I totally agree that it is the next cash crop. I have seen a lot of friends lose their ground because someone came in and offered the farmer $ 2,000 or more per year to hunt. . .its sad, but, its the reality I guess. I have to say that my #1 spot here in my county was visited by a few guys from Iowa a week ago looking to lease and the farmer told them no that he had someone hunting it. . .made me feel really good about the bond I with have formed over the years with he and his wife. . .and proof that not everyone is so greedy. I still believe a storm is brewing with a lot of the private ground around here though. . .money talks here, just like in most places and with the quality of our deer. . .its a matter of time. 73 acres that border my dads place is for sale ( all but 4 acres are woods) Id love to have it, but, they want $ 355,000 for it. . .I'd have to sell a kidney! lol.
You should buy it. You have a spare kidney anyway... ;)

Though I'm not sure the wife's convinced, but I really appreciate the property we bought. It's farther from home than I'd like, but anything within 1.5hrs of Indy is pricy IME. Having lost access to the place I grew up hunting I love the fact I'll be able to take my grandkids to the same place I took their dads. It doesn't hurt that it borders a few hundred acres of federal ground either... :D

IMO DIY public land evens the playing field. Sure great memories are made on private land. For me, the gratification of harvesting an animal that everyone else had access to is the best feeling in the world, because you have to think a bit differently about how and where you hunt. And knowing I didn't have to pay someone for that feeling, is even better. I feel we are so lucky to have what we have here in the USA (public land, and the freedom to hunt on it).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back