Worth buying a Preference Point for Pronghorn in Colorado?

WVgoodguy22

I have a question, I bought points for elk and mule deer in CO last year and did so last night for those two species, but I couldn't make up my mind completely on if I should buy a preference point for pronghorn in Colorado. I already bought the qualifying license so it would be just $9. But my question is if it is worth building points for pronghorn in CO? I know when people think of pronghorn it almost starts and ends with Wyoming which I am planning on this year or next, but I want to figure out if it is worth building points for a chance in about 5 years or so. I have read the GoHunt Application strategy and it seems that pronghorn country is mostly private land, ranches, units with low public land or access in Colorado. Of course that is an issue with the checkerboarding in WY with BLMs, WiA, HMAs, private land, etc.... but Wyoming has the largest amount of pronghorn, so more opportunity for a novice like myself. I know outside of WY, the next states that are popular for them seem to be AZ, Utah, New Mexico. I would be looking for a good rep of the species, not an 80 inch buck unless it crossed my path, and I would be coming from West Virginia so it would be a once a year trip out west. I am aware that the rifle units are high points and one can get an OTC tag for archery or go with the limited archery which may cost less points. It would be cool to hunt them in each state.
Any suggestions or experiences for CO or building points in certain states. I do prefer rifle, but archery would be cool once I get more experience out west. I only have a couple days until the deadline on Tuesday. Thanks in advance.

I was in your shoes a few days ago and decided to buy a pronghorn point. $9 is cheap and for me it keeps my options open. I like the ability to do combo hunts so usually buy points for multiple species in states where a licence is needed. That's my 2 cents for whats its worth, but i must warn you i also purchased a bear point :)

Honestly, as a NR, I probably wouldn’t spend the 9 bucks. I get one annually but it’s mostly because of one herd I know of. Our antelope are spotty and tend to be on private. Even then they don’t seem to grow to the size of any of our neighbors on average. I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule.

If you’re young, the NW corner may come back to form, but you’re looking at decades.

Then again, I just spent 50% more than that price on a Crowler from my local brewery, so why not, but outside of a ‘slam’ of some kind (which would be fun), CO is not an antelope hotspot.

>>>now cue all the guys that kill giant CO bucks on OTC tags...

I cashed in 11 pronghorn points last year for a hunt that a similar hunt in Wyoming would have cost 1 or 2. About 10 or 11 points is the minimum for a public land rifle hunt. But keep in mind that I began applying when you had to front tag fees, so far fewer applied. There are some hunts to be had on public, but just not too many. For $9 though...not the worst money spent.

Honestly, as a NR, I probably wouldn’t spend the 9 bucks. I get one annually but it’s mostly because of one herd I know of. Our antelope are spotty and tend to be on private. Even then they don’t seem to grow to the size of any of our neighbors on average. I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule.

If you’re young, the NW corner may come back to form, but you’re looking at decades.

Then again, I just spent 50% more than that price on a Crowler from my local brewery, so why not, but outside of a ‘slam’ of some kind (which would be fun), CO is not an antelope hotspot.

>>>now cue all the guys that kill giant CO bucks on OTC tags...
Okay that is what I was worried about myself. I am 37 so I have time if nothing happens God forbid. I probably will just do an OTC archery hunt later on if I do want to hunt them and get a hook up out there. My cousin lived in Colorado for years, I just haven't discussed it with him yet. I am not one to make tons and tons of calls nor do I have the $$$ for an outfitter, etc.. Thanks for the response.

I cashed in 11 pronghorn points last year for a hunt that a similar hunt in Wyoming would have cost 1 or 2. About 10 or 11 points is the minimum for a public land rifle hunt. But keep in mind that I began applying when you had to front tag fees, so far fewer applied. There are some hunts to be had on public, but just not too many. For $9 though...not the worst money spent.
Wow from what I have read briefly that is what I have come across as well. I probably will pass and just do an OTC archery hunt if I get around to it. Thank you.

If you want to have a good time hunting antelope. Pick up a South Dakota archery tag. Plenty of public land and way fewer people. Sure you won’t kill a B&C buck everywhere, but holy shit, there’s a lot of people in Colorado. Plus you could go to deadwood, Mount Rushmore, crazy horse, go see how dead Sturgis is 50 weeks out of the year...

Even the best hunts for 80"+ bucks as a resident take around 10 or more points to draw
Wow that is insane is it because of the lower numbers and CO G&F wants to lessen the take on the pronghorn? Or that there is not much public where the pronghorn live or something else I wonder? I am not really interested in big bucks, just a decent say 65-70 inch class that would taste good, but also be awesome on the wall and a story to tell. Thanks for the heads up.

For $9 it’s worth buying a point.

I picked up a reissued license last season that’s typically a 5 point tag for NRs. I’d compare the experience to a Wyoming * unit- decent amounts of animals, small pieces of public land and lots of hunters. That said, a 70 inch buck is very doable. Just don’t expect to drive around glassing up dozens of bucks.

It’s probably not worth driving across the country for a CO pronghorn but you can easily add to a 1st rifle elk hunt or a Wyoming pronghorn hunt just across the border.

Wow that is insane is it because of the lower numbers and CO G&F wants to lessen the take on the pronghorn? Or that there is not much public where the pronghorn live or something else I wonder? I am not really interested in big bucks, just a decent say 65-70 inch class that would taste good, but also be awesome on the wall and a story to tell. Thanks for the heads up.

In the eastern plains were the majority live there is very little public. They give out a ton of doe tags especially as leftover but you show up and see 30 other trucks

As BuzzH always says don’t buy points without a plan. I would look at the draw stats determine if there is a unit you would want to hunt for a number of points you are willing to build. If the only hunt you would do is a 23 pt rifle hunt it’s dumb to buy a point. If there is a 8pt rifle hunt or a 3 pt archery hunt you want to do I’d say go for it.

As BuzzH always says don’t buy points without a plan. I would look at the draw stats determine if there is a unit you would want to hunt for a number of points you are willing to build. If the only hunt you would do is a 23 pt rifle hunt it’s dumb to buy a point. If there is a 8pt rifle hunt or a 3 pt archery hunt you want to do I’d say go for it.
This is good advice and why I have dropped getting pronghorn points in CO.

If you want to have a good time hunting antelope. Pick up a South Dakota archery tag. Plenty of public land and way fewer people. Sure you won’t kill a B&C buck everywhere, but holy shit, there’s a lot of people in Colorado. Plus you could go to deadwood, Mount Rushmore, crazy horse, go see how dead Sturgis is 50 weeks out of the year...

That does sound fun and I would love to see the sights and landmarks that SD has to offer. I was a little bummed that we didn't stop in or drive by Yellowstone or Jackson Hole, etc... in Wyoming on our way back from our successful mule deer hunt in Idaho, but I knew that my Dad and brother wanted to get home and take care of the meat from the mule deer my brother shot.
I know ND doesn't allow non residents to hunt lope, I was trying to find on the SD regs if they do, but apparently they do since you suggested it thanks. I will have to put that on my list. I was looking into Nebraska as well.

For $9 it’s worth buying a point.

I picked up a reissued license last season that’s typically a 5 point tag for NRs. I’d compare the experience to a Wyoming * unit- decent amounts of animals, small pieces of public land and lots of hunters. That said, a 70 inch buck is very doable. Just don’t expect to drive around glassing up dozens of bucks.

It’s probably not worth driving across the country for a CO pronghorn but you can easily add to a 1st rifle elk hunt or a Wyoming pronghorn hunt just across the border.
Okay thanks for the heads up on the experience. I wouldn't drive across country for just a CO lope it would be combo'd with something else like you mentioned. I also wouldn't build more than say 5-8 points. I like opportunity not just trophy hunts. I am a newbie so I am trying to learn my options. Thanks again.

I would have to agree, I was thinking about those lower point units with either weapon type and make it as part of a combo hunt if I could whether elk, mule deer or go with a Wyoming pronghorn hunt across the border. I wouldn't want to build more than the points that you mentioned. All about opportunity. Thank you very much.

That does sound fun and I would love to see the sights and landmarks that SD has to offer. I was trying to find on the SD regs if they do, but apparently they do since you suggested it thanks. I will have to put that on my list.
Yes, archery tags are available in SD and the better rifle tags (units that have antelope on public land) in SD take about half a dozen points for non-residents to draw, IIRC. As of last year, you didn’t need a license to buy points in SD and the point is $10 - expensive to some and cheap to others.

I’m buying points there and while I don’t have a specific plan to use them, the general plan is (when I have enough to draw a tag) to burn them on a year when I don’t hunt a lope tag in WY.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back