Caribou Gear Tarp

Worth buying a Preference Point for Pronghorn in Colorado?

Every year I have to talk myself through accruing preference points for pronghorn. Every time I convince myself its a great idea, I have to remind myself that you can get landowner permits, semi guided, and even guided hunts in Texas and New Mexico from $1500-$2500 and when the numbers are run it actually comes out pretty close, at least for the lower just permit side. At least on the Texas option for me with the reduction for travel and general license and such, since I'm in Texas. But then I put in for points in Colorado anyway, what the hell, it will be fun in a few years.

Every pronghorn hunt I've been on in Co has been a blast, and we never plan shit lol. It's better hunting than people would have you believe.

Edit for buffs35
Blast as in a:
Boring
Long
Ass
Shiity
Time

Last edited:
Every pronghorn hunt I've been on in Co has been a blast, and we never plan shit lol. It's better hunting than people would have you believe.

Edit for buffs35
Blast as in a:
Boring
Long
Ass
Shiity
Time
That BLAST thing is pretty funny, although I hope that isn't completely true. But hunting can be that way regardless of state, season or species, we just have to plan for the best and prepare for the worst. My goal is to be able to hunt pronghorn in as many states as possible. Well mostly DIY public land is preferred not a high dollar outfitter or a ranch if I can help it. I don't have the income for that. I am aware that CO is not a primo pronghorn state and it would be combo'd with something else for me to drive out that far. Probably won't be for another 3-6 years anyway since I doubt I try for rifle in CO being that it takes too long and the ones that don't are like reenacting the Civil War, just with high powered rifles. Since it is a long drive from West Virginia to any of those states I definitely have to do more research and planning, but not develop paralysis by over analysis. Thanks all.

Do you want a million hunters to invade your state, cause that's how you get a million hunters to invade your state 🤣🤣
I would honestly not be surprised if both NR OTC archery deer and NR OTC archery antelope went to a draw in a couple of years in SD.

Basically what I'm saying is, now is the time to take advantage of the opportunity in SD.

If you want to have a good time hunting antelope. Pick up a South Dakota archery tag. Plenty of public land and way fewer people. Sure you won’t kill a B&C buck everywhere, but holy shit, there’s a lot of people in Colorado. Plus you could go to deadwood, Mount Rushmore, crazy horse, go see how dead Sturgis is 50 weeks out of the year...
Been there done that totally worth it! Beautiful country especially through spearfish the black hills and the badlands 👍

Reactions: ZBB
Back