Worth buying a Preference Point for Pronghorn in Colorado?

If you want to have a good time hunting antelope. Pick up a South Dakota archery tag. Plenty of public land and way fewer people. Sure you won’t kill a B&C buck everywhere, but holy shit, there’s a lot of people in Colorado. Plus you could go to deadwood, Mount Rushmore, crazy horse, go see how dead Sturgis is 50 weeks out of the year...
Do you want a million hunters to invade your state, cause that's how you get a million hunters to invade your state 🤣🤣

I’ve seen some good bucks in Colorado. That being said, I’ve seen a half dozen that made me go WOW! They are here, just few and far between.
I've seen 2 in the last 2 years that you'd think were bought by those Pronghorn guides down in NM....and not pictures of them, saw them in the bed of the truck in person. I think we have more than is evidence of, but we're not a pronghorn state, they are just the opening act.

That does sound fun and I would love to see the sights and landmarks that SD has to offer. I was a little bummed that we didn't stop in or drive by Yellowstone or Jackson Hole, etc... in Wyoming on our way back from our successful mule deer hunt in Idaho, but I knew that my Dad and brother wanted to get home and take care of the meat from the mule deer my brother shot.
I know ND doesn't allow non residents to hunt lope, I was trying to find on the SD regs if they do, but apparently they do since you suggested it thanks. I will have to put that on my list. I was looking into Nebraska as well.
Sounds like I may have thrown a wrench in the plan, my bad. There are several states with otc archery tags. SD is one I know for sure so is Colorado. On South Dakota’s game and fish web site it’s a little easier to figure things out if you pull up the actual application. It has all the rifle, Custer state park and archery info on it.
Back to the point of this thread. I agree with most that it is cheap and you may as well get a point. You could always come here and archery hunt and have a good time. For what it’s worth I applied for a rifle B doe tag and I’ll pick up an archery tag. I’ll go out, bitch about all the people I see, spot some antelope, laugh when people drive by them and then spook them to the next county on a failed stalk. Good luck in your decision, sorry if I derailed this thing a little.
Zach

I’ve seen some good bucks in Colorado. That being said, I’ve seen a half dozen that made me go WOW! They are here, just few and far between.
Had one on a zero point to second choice tag 2 years ago that was an absolute giant. There's always at least 1 boomer in every area. Still think about that one

I have an archery area that is OTC that I've pulled out 2 P&Y bucks, but I'll never step foot in there again during rifle season. I had better odds in a fire fight in Iraq than I did driving around during rifle season that took 4 points.

I hunted the 118 doe season where they sell like 1000 tags and there were so many people just shooting randomly across the one pice of public ground.

I have an archery area that is OTC that I've pulled out 2 P&Y bucks, but I'll never step foot in there again during rifle season. I had better odds in a fire fight in Iraq than I did driving around during rifle season that took 4 points.
From what I have seen or read I would only hunt CO lope with a bow. I am not trying to play Medal of Honor while out in the field after such a beautiful creature like the pronghorn. Probably combo hunt with another species to make it worth the drive.

I hunted the 118 doe season where they sell like 1000 tags and there were so many people just shooting randomly across the one pice of public ground.
WOw that is crazy, I guess I will scratch 118 off the list. Some people are just ignorant and unsafe. One shouldn't have to wear a military surplus helmet to go and enjoy a hunting experience.

I collect points everywhere I can for antelope. Why? Because I love hunting them and love discovering new areas. I'm fortunate to have a very good job with lots of time off to do so.

I have states I collect points as 20+ year projects then there are states I hunt yearly like Wyoming. I don't mind shooting a smaller goat in Colorado. I want to hunt antelopes in as many places as I can, trophy quality is relative to the area anyway. I live and hunt in Saskatchewan where there are 200+ inch mule deer to hunt, but I still want to make the trip to Wyo/Montana to shoot mule deer that I don't even consider glassing at home, again, trophy size is relative to the area...

WOw that is crazy, I guess I will scratch 118 off the list. Some people are just ignorant and unsafe. One shouldn't have to wear a military surplus helmet to go and enjoy a hunting experience.

I believe it thins out after the first week of the season, but opening morning there were tons of people.

Sounds like I may have thrown a wrench in the plan, my bad. There are several states with otc archery tags. SD is one I know for sure so is Colorado. On South Dakota’s game and fish web site it’s a little easier to figure things out if you pull up the actual application. It has all the rifle, Custer state park and archery info on it.
Back to the point of this thread. I agree with most that it is cheap and you may as well get a point. You could always come here and archery hunt and have a good time. For what it’s worth I applied for a rifle B doe tag and I’ll pick up an archery tag. I’ll go out, bitch about all the people I see, spot some antelope, laugh when people drive by them and then spook them to the next county on a failed stalk. Good luck in your decision, sorry if I derailed this thing a little.
Zach
You didn't throw a wrench in any plans at all, just opened my eyes to another opportunity. If it takes 5-6 points to draw in SD and is check to apply, I could do that and CO and who knows maybe then I will have the time to go to SD and CO and while I am there also chase after pheasant if they are in season or at least go fishing. Thank you for the heads up.

Reactions: ZBB
I collect points everywhere I can for antelope. Why? Because I love hunting them and love discovering new areas. I'm fortunate to have a very good job with lots of time off to do so.

I have states I collect points as 20+ year projects then there are states I hunt yearly like Wyoming. I don't mind shooting a smaller goat in Colorado. I want to hunt antelopes in as many places as I can, trophy quality is relative to the area anyway. I live and hunt in Saskatchewan where there are 200+ inch mule deer to hunt, but I still want to make the trip to Wyo/Montana to shoot mule deer that I don't even consider glassing at home, again, trophy size is relative to the area...
That was kind of my thoughts, I have had two heart surgeries and am really in need of getting in shape regardless, but chasing Pronghorn vs. hiking a couple thousand vertical feet after elk and mule deer is appealing to me. Plus they are gorgeous and cool. I know that it isn't an easy hunt and I need to get in better shape for all that walking and stalking, but still. I do want to chase elk and mule deer too, but there is just something unique and beautiful about a pronghorn. I actually wanted to do a combo mule deer/pronghorn hunt in Wyoming if I am lucky and able. Thanks for the reply.

That was kind of my thoughts, I have had two heart surgeries and am really in need of getting in shape regardless, but chasing Pronghorn vs. hiking a couple thousand vertical feet after elk and mule deer is appealing to me. Plus they are gorgeous and cool. I know that it isn't an easy hunt and I need to get in better shape for all that walking and stalking, but still. I do want to chase elk and mule deer too, but there is just something unique and beautiful about a pronghorn. I actually wanted to do a combo mule deer/pronghorn hunt in Wyoming if I am lucky and able. Thanks for the reply.

Go for it! I'm in my thirties and the way I see it, I'd rather cry a little every year when I do my bonus/preference point rounds in different states and get hunts from time to time, than look back 20 years from now thinking "shit, I should've really bought those points". Like BigFin says: "You're going to run out of health before you run out of money".

Go for it! I'm in my thirties and the way I see it, I'd rather cry a little every year when I do my bonus/preference point rounds in different states and get hunts from time to time, than look back 20 years from now thinking "shit, I should've really bought those points". Like BigFin says: "You're going to run out of health before you run out of money".
Amen to that, I am 37 myself and have denied myself lots of fun outdoor opportunities that I wanted to do with the usual excuse of I don't have the $$$ which is usually the case, but some things things that I want to do are not that expensive or far away. I should write some things down and check them off. I didn't have the $$$ for a mule deer tag in Idaho last fall, but I went with my brother and father and it was a cool experience so it would be cool to make up for it this year with a combo hunt and just plan for other hunts here and there when I have the funds, etc... Thank you. I almost bought points for moose and sheep, but saw the $100 price and said no go. haha

I'm dumping my antelope points this fall for a muzzleloader buck hunt. I can hunt archery every year and that's my preferred method of hunting them. Muzzleloader season isn't too bad with the weekend Rambo's and the weather is usually better than archery season. Time to get my percussion rifle out and play around with it.

I'm dumping my antelope points this fall for a muzzleloader buck hunt. I can hunt archery every year and that's my preferred method of hunting them. Muzzleloader season isn't too bad with the weekend Rambo's and the weather is usually better than archery season. Time to get my percussion rifle out and play around with it.
I was actually thinking of that as a possibility too. I don't have a percussion cap muzzleloader, but my Dad does I could borrow it or it wouldn't be too expensive to get my own. I have an inline with a scope, but I think only Utah and maybe one other state out west allows those.

Thank you everyone that commented and gave me some insight and advice. I went ahead and spent the $9 on the preference point since I already spent the money on the small game license and the $9 for both elk and deer preference points for the second season in a row. I probably build points up for 3-6 years and use them on an archery or muzzleloader hunt and combo it with either an elk or mule deer hunt or a pronghorn hunt up in Wyoming. Some season dates for pronghorn butt up against or are in the mist of some elk and deer dates, especially the Early rifle and archery/muzzleloader seasons. I know from reading that CO isn't known as a pronghorn state, but it can happen when planned out properly.

Back