Work on your knee?

MarvB

So I guess this forum is a good enough place to post this as any...have any of you Hunt Talkers ever gone through a knee debridement and, if so, what was your results and recovery time? Between tree climbing (USFS), pole work (line and tele), and tearing it up and having surgery before (college sports decades ago) my left knee after last years hunting season looked akin to a grapefruit stuck in a pair of pantyhose :rolleyes: . When I retired in December I went to three local Orthos to see about getting a replacement and was told by each that "it wasn't quite bad enough" yet to warrant said work (I could go uphill all day long but downhill with substantial weight on my back just killed me). After looking at the MRIs one of the guys (who was pretty highly recommended) said I was a good candidate for a debridement and joint lavage. I said WTF and went for it. I have since found out, through my buddy who does my PPT that debridements only run about 60-70% successful and he was surprised at just how much "cleanout" that the doc did given the fact that I had a lot of the meniscus removed the first time around when I tore things up. Now instead of the joint just hurting when I really tax it, it hurts just getting out of bed in the morning and that's 6 months post-surgery!

Been trying to go on hikes here 2-3x a week (though some are just exaggerated "walks") and am seriously starting to wondering how October in Salmon is going to be feeling.

Sorry for the long-winded post but am a tad frustrated at this time and looking for opinions from who may of been there/done that...thanks in advance.

MarvB

replacement = xray needed. Have you had any? Are you bone on bone?

I think replacement is the next (soon) step Bob, both Orthos I went to said I was basically bone-on-bone in the one knee but neither said I was a candidate for replacement "quite yet" which I couldn't figure out? The second doc led me down the road for yet another clean out of the torn up chit and a "debridement" which I thoroughly regret doing. Will be turning 61 tomorrow so I really didn't get why the need to wait on a replacement until I get any older.....will just limp it through this elk season

I'm not a doctor so take it for what it's worth. I think the doctors are considering your age, your life expectancy, and the life expectancy of the artificial knee.

I think the long side of how long an artificial knee will last is about 20 years. Your life expectancy is a few years beyond that. I think, generally speaking you get one knee replacement and finding enough solid bone becomes more difficult the second time around.

Good luck, chronic pain is miserable. I've had it from a pinched nerve but that resolved over time.

Knee in a replacement will outlive me. I'm 56 had it almost 2 years ago. The issues in the past are the cement. That used to wear out but its evolved and probably still getting better. My ortho said he expects my knee to last longer than me and can handle more weight than the rest of me can

Strangely enough he said worst thing in the world, aside from inactivity, was beach volleyball, said never again. Not a problem since I've never played

Interesting your DRs perspective, that's kind of what I would have thought with today's technology and the fact that I'm nearly 61 that I would be a candidate NOW. Hopefully if its still giving me fits this winter I can find a new ortho here in Oregon that think along the same line. Hope your knee is fairing well, most I have talked to say that they are pain free again post-surgery!
And by the way, playing volleyball in college is how I tore it up initially...took 80% out of the left due to a longitudinal tear of the medial meniscus; he knew what he was talking about lol.

I'm not a doctor so take it for what it's worth. I think the doctors are considering your age, your life expectancy, and the life expectancy of the artificial knee.

I think the long side of how long an artificial knee will last is about 20 years. Your life expectancy is a few years beyond that. I think, generally speaking you get one knee replacement and finding enough solid bone becomes more difficult the second time around.

Good luck, chronic pain is miserable. I've had it from a pinched nerve but that resolved over time.

You're likely right about the longevity aspect of the surgery but I guess I'm looking more at the quality of life now (and hunting) rather than if I need to back on the lift for a alignment and rotation at 80. Course today's insurance companies are probably pulling the string and think they only want to pay for one bite of the apple!

The old saying,, the squeaky wheel gets the grease,, might be applicable in your case.

Tell your doctor that the pain leaves you unable to do the things that bring you joy and that you want the next 20 years to be good ones. Make the most compelling case you can to the doctor and, if necessary, the insurance company. Don't take the answer no, easily.

I had both knees done. I'll be 73 in few months, I wish I had them replaced sooner. Make sure your surgeon has done LOTS of replacements though and ask for references. My first one didn't turnout as good as the last one. And do all the therapy they ask for and more when at home. Work the heck out of those joints, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Becoming inactive due to pain will kill a lot more people than early replacement failure.
That soft couch is the enemy.
Imo. You need to talk to a few more ortho's.
Do the math yourself and make your decision around 1 year post op.
In the mean time could you try a few post op cortisone shots and NSAIDs maybe?
Regardless when you go in for a replacement get that leg STRONG before surgery.
Good luck!
From a fellow sufferer.

For quality of life, I went from a 6 mile easy hike causing me to barely make it and wanting to throw up in the parking.lot, or needing to ice after a quarter mile stroll with my wife, to last week a 9 mile medium to hard hike totally pain free

I no longer have to factor pain and how many limping days any activity will cause. I just go hiking, biking, golfing, hunting, fishing and enjoy zero pain

Thanks guys for the additional info. This late in the year I will probably just try to make it through hunting season (just what I said LAST year before having the debridement in Dec) and then look for an Ortho in the meantime that fits the wanted criteria. I'm still hiking but the followup is always elevation, TENS, ice, and Tylenol. Trying to stay away from cortisone shots as I had a BUNCH of them back in college to keep me on the court post-the initial surgery (and many, many, fluid drains) and likely did the knee a lot more harm then good. Bone on bone coupled with arthritis just tends to suck, no other way of looking at it! Best- Marv

Trying to stay away from cortisone shots as I had a BUNCH of them back in college to keep me on the court post-the initial surgery (and many, many, fluid drains) and likely did the knee a lot more harm then good.
I definitely agree.
However if facing a replacement then do whatever keeps that leg strong before surgery. The recovery will usually be easier for a strong active leg.

1) get rid of your doctor 2) spend some time finding the best possible doctor you can find. 3) Get the knee replaced. There isn't any reason to suffer any more than you have. The new stuff doesn't wear out and will outlast you.

JMHO, but I wouldn't be doing any down hill on the gimpy knee. Dad fought bad knees for years and finally had his second replacement when he was 84. He sure thought medicine had made advancements since the early 70's when his other knee was done. I agree that you want the muscle/ligament tissue in as good of shape as can be prior to surgery to shorten recovery time.

One thing to consider, a guy that I worked with had a bad knee and kept putting off the replacement. That delay ended up maybe not being the only cause but a big contributing factor to needing his "good" knee replaced also. The Doc told him that because he was over compensating for the bad knee he damaged his good one over time.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back