What’s your moment?

Walking in on a cold morning to a stand I’m positive I will see a deer in. The feel of a cold morning in the woods twenty five feet up a tree waiting on a deer to come by, but most importantly sharing a hunt with my daughter, and finally
the most anticipated hunt I’ve been on in my life….our first ever elk hunt!

I'm a midwest whitetail stand hunter, so my moments aren't as epic as some of you out west (although I've had some great western hunts/experiences). However, there are two moments I look forward to every season. The first is the first sit. Doesn't matter when/where it is when I climb into the stand and get setup for the first bow hunt of the year. I don't care if I see a deer on my first sit.

The second is the first cold morning of rut hunting (late October/early November). Sitting on stand straining my eyes trying to see through the dark and just knowing today is the day a lovestruck giant is going to come cruising through.

I think every moment outside is a God Send. I'm not a Summer Guy. In fact I kind of dread it, I get through because I know Fall is just around the I'm a Fall time of year dude.

Whatever your passion is, The first flight of birds, on opening day, the first bugle you get back, that first spike buck running under your stand, the first time your kid(s) is/ are with you it doesn't matter, it's your time.
I know I think about it every time I go out for the first time that new season. I'm part of a family that stretches the world and others are doing the same thing I am today. And then I stop and I look to the top of the mountain ridge and think. If I had permit I could shoot that bull. The second thought after that is, Well that's hunting....

For me it's the 10 or 15 minutes before legal shooting time in my duck blind. Decoys are out, call lanyard on my neck, gun uncased and everything set for another morning of waterfowl hunting. Time to enjoy a cup of black coffee from the old stanley thermos and watch birds fly in the dark half light. That's my special time.
I could not have really said it better so I won't. Dito

I actually got a other one. The first snowfall at home. I always make sure to go sit in a stand either the evening after or morning after it snows. The moment it stops snowing, it's like all the deer are like kids because they start prancing around like crazy and you see them all over! That is such a cool moment for me every year as I admire the limped over pine branches from the fresh snow and listen to the peace of the woods as it's almost always completely silent

For summer there is a reason they are called Kings! We traveled to the spot in pitch black under the Nav lights. You can barely see the slow perfect roll of your herring in the first light. The bait‘s down just off the bottom now. The coffee thermos is calling but it’s too tense to look away! He’s only going to mouth that bait in this light. There’s only going to be a little bump on that rod tip. Slack that line a bit or he’ll let go. Get ready! The best kind of tension!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back