PEAX Equipment

Work on your knee?

You swore you’d beat me to the top of South Sister this July, so you’d better start healing quick! I hope all goes smoothly and you find yourself amazed by how you feel and how well the new knee functions.

"Bruised" both knees in a car wreck. When I sit down on the toilet, my knees sound like they're grinding gravel! Once you damage a "joint", it just deteriorates. First indication of problems, consider replacement.
I've had 2 joints replaced. Wish I'd done it sooner! LOL!
I'm looking at having other joints "fixed".
Right now, I'm trying to balance "age", "increased mobility", "recovery time" and "pain reduction".
At 70, recovery time is becoming more important....and slower.

They can preach the "clean out" all they want. It's a band aid on a gaping wound. As time passes, the problem returns and you'll be back in the same boat. Joint replacement is the way to go.

MarvB - best of luck on your recovery! Do your PT. It will be the key to success.
Knee replacement is a beast! Don't give up!

I had hip replacement the same day a friend had his knee done. Six weeks later, I kept a cane in the truck for a backup. He was still on crutches.

Last edited:
I didn’t have a debridement but did have an unsuccessful knee surgery from a local orthopedic who after the fact said I’ll just have to deal with never running again or hiking. We made the drive up to Stanford and the doc instantly knew what was wrong and fixed me up. Idk if you’re in a major city or not but it is always worth the drive to get the opinion of the best. I’ve found similar experiences with other surgeries I’ve had. Hope you get where you want to be soon!

Last edited:
I didn’t have a debridement but did have an unsuccessful knee surgery from a local orthopedic who after the fact said I’ll just have to deal with never running again or hiking. We made the drive up to Stanford and the doc instantly knew what was wrong and fixed me up. Idk if your in a major city or not but it is always worth the drove to get the opinion of the best. I’ve found similar experiences with other surgeries I’ve had. Hope you get where you want to be soon!
Very wise!
The surgeon who did my hip is part of an orthopedic hospital group.
He was the lead ortho surgeon for the U.S. Olympic team at one time.
Amazing surgeon!
For any of my ortho needs, I'll go back to the same facility. They are to orthopedic medicine what MD Anderson is to cancer.

Very wise!
Amazing surgeon!
For any of my ortho needs, I'll go back to the same facility. They are to orthopedic medicine what MD Anderson is to cancer.
Your hip....anterior approach?

Very wise!
Amazing surgeon!
That’s so similar to my experience. Doc I went to at Stanford was the 49ers team surgeon. When I had Achilles issues from running I skipped the locals and went all the way up to Stanford and had the podiatrist/surgeon for the US Olympic Track & Field team. Always worth driving extra hours for years of being pain free. Glad yours went so well!

Both! 😀!
Broken femur head in car wreck. Repairs made through the front.
2005 replacement surgery was anterior.
During PT for right knee arthroplasty I developed excruciating pain in the same side quad...physical therapist says it's ITB syndrome. No sleep, no ebbing the pain. Go back to the Carrell & surgeon's PA gives me a shot. As I'm leaving the Clinic she says, "I'm pretty sure it's your hip". Well the shot helped a little and I battled it for about 2 years. Went back for anterior approach hip arthroplasty with the pulley bone robot manipulator apparatus. In at 6 am, wife drove us home 6pm. Easiest recovery ever.

Left knee is on deck...

Broke my left elbow in high school. That joint, 55 years later, is bone on bone and painful as hell!
Surgeon said "Yep, I can replace it, but as active as you are, I don't suggest it!"
Twenty five percent of elbow replacements fail due to falls. It can't be repaired. It's a "one time thang!"
Not enough bone left to attach to.
Replacement elbow can't handle over 5 pounds.
Totally unable to handle any shock load. A punch, a fall or deflection.
At this point, I just strapped on an elbow brace and will wait until the pain takes over or home health care kicks in. LOL!

I think I have said it on here before.
When you need to find a good local surgeon go in to a bunch of different physical therapist and try the pt route. I did 3 different rounds at 3 different places before surgery was decided. I went to each and asked what surgeon seemed to have the best outcomes.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back