MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Work on your knee?

1) get rid of your doctor 2) spend some time finding the best possible doctor you can find. 3) Get the knee replaced. There isn't any reason to suffer any more than you have. The new stuff doesn't wear out and will outlast you.

Yep D-Hitch time to move on to sawbones #3...trying to find one that will have the moxie to stand up to Blue Shield lol

One thing to consider, a guy that I worked with had a bad knee and kept putting off the replacement. That delay ended up maybe not being the only cause but a big contributing factor to needing his "good" knee replaced also. The Doc told him that because he was over compensating for the bad knee he damaged his good one over time.

Jabber I'm already feeling the effects of that myself...there rally isn't a "good" knee anymore...just a worse one :(

JMHO, but I wouldn't be doing any down hill on the gimpy knee. Dad fought bad knees for years and finally had his second replacement when he was 84. He sure thought medicine had made advancements since the early 70's when his other knee was done. I agree that you want the muscle/ligament tissue in as good of shape as can be prior to surgery to shorten recovery time.

True that but the problem is that all those "hills" around Challis seem to have another side to em!

For this case I think anything that comes in a Mason Jar would be useful. Take one Jar and call me when you wake up next month! Now I know for a fact I have seen the Old Folks spray WD-40 on their knees and they said it worked! John

Those Mason Jars are called WD-Forte in your part of the ceauxntry John.

I had my second knee scoping in March and the third in June. (the first was back in 2009). I'm way better off than I was. All have had meniscus issues and all had a lot of feathery junk sheered off the bottom of the knee caps (is that debridement?). I'm back to biking 15-20 miles but not running yet. It's a battle and frankly, I am always managing my knee and other damaged parts, but so it goes for being old and getting older. One thing is certain, doing nothing is the worst thing for them. I have to move or they go downhill fast.

There are some nonsteroidal injectables that have varying degrees of success. You might look into some of them.

For this case I think anything that comes in a Mason Jar would be useful. Take one Jar and call me when you wake up next month! Now I know for a fact I have seen the Old Folks spray WD-40 on their knees and they said it worked! John

Then the wife & I passed your test Big John! We always batch up different stuff for the holidays and this was in last years gift bags to my buddies at work!32D2894B-E855-4C33-88A9-A1C7A7E47F7C.jpegB0DBE28F-6B66-4EFA-B072-53877771D877.jpeg

I had my second knee scoping in March and the third in June. (the first was back in 2009). I'm way better off than I was. All have had meniscus issues and all had a lot of feathery junk sheered off the bottom of the knee caps (is that debridement?). I'm back to biking 15-20 miles but not running yet. It's a battle and frankly, I am always managing my knee and other damaged parts, but so it goes for being old and getting older. One thing is certain, doing nothing is the worst thing for them. I have to move or they go downhill fast.

There are some nonsteroidal injectables that have varying degrees of success. You might look into some of them.

That’s actually part of the debridement (removal of all the loose crap) then they grind off the arthritic buildup and then do a liquid flush of the joint. Prob is you can only do so much and then there is nothing left to keep the joint stable. You’re right though, if you don’t keep things moving it def gets worse!

That’s actually part of the debridement (removal of all the loose crap) then they grind off the arthritic buildup and then do a liquid flush of the joint. Prob is you can only do so much and then there is nothing left to keep the joint stable. You’re right though, if you don’t keep things moving it def gets worse!
Hope they gave you a video of it like they did me. That little grinder was a ripping and a tearing!

So I guess this forum is a good enough place to post this as any...have any of you Hunt Talkers ever gone through a knee debridement and, if so, what was your results and recovery time? Between tree climbing (USFS), pole work (line and tele), and tearing it up and having surgery before (college sports decades ago) my left knee after last years hunting season looked akin to a grapefruit stuck in a pair of pantyhose :rolleyes: . When I retired in December I went to three local Orthos to see about getting a replacement and was told by each that "it wasn't quite bad enough" yet to warrant said work (I could go uphill all day long but downhill with substantial weight on my back just killed me). After looking at the MRIs one of the guys (who was pretty highly recommended) said I was a good candidate for a debridement and joint lavage. I said WTF and went for it. I have since found out, through my buddy who does my PPT that debridements only run about 60-70% successful and he was surprised at just how much "cleanout" that the doc did given the fact that I had a lot of the meniscus removed the first time around when I tore things up. Now instead of the joint just hurting when I really tax it, it hurts just getting out of bed in the morning and that's 6 months post-surgery!

Been trying to go on hikes here 2-3x a week (though some are just exaggerated "walks") and am seriously starting to wondering how October in Salmon is going to be feeling.

Sorry for the long-winded post but am a tad frustrated at this time and looking for opinions from who may of been there/done that...thanks in advance.

MarvB

My buddy is 53 and had a replacement 2 years ago. He was snowboarding 6 months later. It drastically reduced his pain and increased stability. He is diligent with exercise and is careful with it. His decision to get it done was decided upon his ability to enjoy his life and usual hobbies.

Then the wife & I passed your test Big John! We always batch up different stuff for the holidays and this was in last years gift bags to my buddies at work!View attachment 147616View attachment 147619
Too Funny! I did the same thing for my clients as most are Lushes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the stuff I get at the Catfish gatherings on the Mississippi River is real pretty and clear! John

Had the first hip done at 65 and the second at 67. Never had a bit of pain since then. Life was a question before that. The only thing I am stalling is shoulder replacement. My doctor told me to come back when I could no long lift 30 lbs because that is the most I could lift after the surgery. A saddle weighs near 50.

Had the first hip done at 65 and the second at 67. Never had a bit of pain since then. Life was a question before that. The only thing I am stalling is shoulder replacement. My doctor told me to come back when I could no long lift 30 lbs because that is the most I could lift after the surgery. A saddle weighs near 50.

My mom has had two knees, two hips, and a thumb....ol' gal is coming up 90 this year and damn near bionic at this point lol

There are lighter saddles - much lighter. :)

I am so lucky. Horse rolled on me and badly tore up my right knee back in 84. Good PT and keeping my weight down got me through it ... in hunting season no less. I'm going on 69 and still doing okay although the last couple of years that knee can get painful some days in rough country. Climbing mostly which I think is better prognosis than downhill pain. Left leg is also an inch shorter which screws things up too. Staying trim all these years has made the big difference. Active but not too active (ortho surgeon told my dad jogging wrecks more bodies than TV remote). I'm getting flabby this year due to delayed surgeries for gallbladder and hernia. Bike riding is out and I typically lean on it heavily to stay in shape during spring and summer. COVID has messed up everything at the hospital. Gallbladder comes out Thursday ... FINALLY. That thing can be a sunbitch. A couple days pheasant hunting last fall I wasn't sure I'd make it back to the Jimmy.

Thanks @OntarioHunter, that’s the plan....though the Mrs is hoping I’m kicking at least a “little” ass for out trip to Mexico in Sept.🤷🏻‍♂️

BTW... did that hernia (inguinal type) thing done 6weeks ago myself... feel like my old International Scout, one part at a time !

Back