Update, bowed out of my NM 2B ML Deer Hunt - blown shoulder repaired

David658

Got a call to help a friend move on Memorial Day. Just a few items, says he. He's 72, says I, how bad can it be if it is the two of us.

The elliptical trainer is a really good one. Really heavy. I caught it when it fell off the dolly. Popped the biceps tendon - like, "pop!" it said.

Have been needing to raise my desk so my arms are almost straight out, pushing the keyboard away to very un-ergonomically type on my computer. I have actually missed work due to the pain. Thinking that my original-style Hawken might be a bit rough to shoot at the range.

Have an appointment in August with my knee doc who does shoulders. Going to get one with the ortho that does Olympic folks' shoulders up in Taos, probably sooner. Also getting accupunture, PT, and eating alleve like candy.

Really don't want to miss out on my NM 2B hunt, but I might have to surrender. Dag blast it, getting old is no fun.

David
NM

I’m sorry, man. That stinks. I hope it works out for you in the end

Just got home from therapy, day 2. This is more pain relief and "alignment", working to keep range of motion. Got a doc appointment with the best in the state and one of the best in the country out of Taos, pretty sure he will want to use the knife.

Hoping that I can manage to get over the pain part via this therapy, going to test it at the range on Friday. If I am in tears after the first shot, it's the knife. If not, MAYBE I can still hunt. But sheesh, this shoulder crap is no fun at all.

Hoping you can avoid the knife. I had left shoulder rotator cuff surgery March 20 along with the repair of a torn bicep tendon. PT figures i am back to about 40% recovery. The surgeon said the repair was for range of motion and pain management. I’ll never get all my strength back.

Going to get one with the ortho that does Olympic folks' shoulders up in Taos

I assume he is part of the Taos Orthopedic Institute- I used to work a bit with one of the founders of that group- he was primarily a sports knee guy but that whole group is fantastic.

I’m sorry to hear about your injury but it’s nice to know you’re in good hands. Good luck with your hunt, I hope you can make it happen!

Last edited:
Hope you can make the hunt! Those injuries are brutal. While I have primary care from the VA, I know if I ever need an ortho , I will make the drive to Missoula,MT and see Dr. Allmacher. I knew the family from Colorado. Awesome dude, and his dad (RIP) taught me the ropes many years ago on the snowmobile!

Well, sent the email and documentation to DGF to get my tag money back. Wife has had to go into PT for her toe fusion, which was done in February. So there are two deer that get to live another season (presuming we took any).

Shoulder is a real mess, so just being careful so it gets fixed in November. That will keep me off airplanes for a few weeks, so I can just hang here till I get to fly again (going to milk the "no flying" as long as possible, thought of flying in that sling is not thrilling).

So, official now, therefore fingers crossed for the 2024 season. Coulda been worse, so no complaints. I'll be able to get that Santa Fe Hawken all refinished, spiffed up, and dialed in.

David
NM

Well, sent the email and documentation to DGF to get my tag money back. Wife has had to go into PT for her toe fusion, which was done in February. So there are two deer that get to live another season (presuming we took any).

Shoulder is a real mess, so just being careful so it gets fixed in November. That will keep me off airplanes for a few weeks, so I can just hang here till I get to fly again (going to milk the "no flying" as long as possible, thought of flying in that sling is not thrilling).

So, official now, therefore fingers crossed for the 2024 season. Coulda been worse, so no complaints. I'll be able to get that Santa Fe Hawken all refinished, spiffed up, and dialed in.

David
NM
Get healthy this year, maybe take road trips. Like for PIE!
I know a guy you helped out who could wind up with tags next year. Any weapon or bow hunts .

Hank

Surgery was Nov. 8, a long not-simple surgery (rotator cuff and biceps tendon relocation). Been climbing the walls since, trying to avoid divorce/murder (apparently I've not been a super easy patient). First therapy today, kinda wanted to stop and just cry - hurt! Just got the ok to start easing back into work, so i will be somewhat occupied. Trying to capitalize on the time to catch up on FreshTracks, going to join GoHunt to start working on next year.

David
NM

Well, the surgery is five and a half weeks in the rear-view window. Wondering how rehab has gone for some of you folks that have had this done in the past couple of years. I had this done back in 2007, and they didn't let me out of the sling or do any PT until six weeks had passed. This time around I was in PT five days after surgery, and am at it two days a week now. Different treatment regime these days.

PT says I might be able to snowshoe by late March (if I promise to not fall), I really want to have the fly rod on the river in April before runoff and start shooting again soon after. Realistic?

My warranty is running out of miles, doing my best to maximize hunting time between now and when the parts really start failing.

And advice to the young - take care of those shoulders. You don't want this surgery. In fact, take care of that back, hips, knees, etc etc etc. And max out your 401k....

David
NM

Well, the surgery is five and a half weeks in the rear-view window. Wondering how rehab has gone for some of you folks that have had this done in the past couple of years. I had this done back in 2007, and they didn't let me out of the sling or do any PT until six weeks had passed. This time around I was in PT five days after surgery, and am at it two days a week now. Different treatment regime these days.

PT says I might be able to snowshoe by late March (if I promise to not fall), I really want to have the fly rod on the river in April before runoff and start shooting again soon after. Realistic?

My warranty is running out of miles, doing my best to maximize hunting time between now and when the parts really start failing.

And advice to the young - take care of those shoulders. You don't want this surgery. In fact, take care of that back, hips, knees, etc etc etc. And max out your 401k....

David
NM

Yeah, out of warranty here.
Had that same surgery Dec of 22.
They were correct in saying good by September.

Yeah, out of warranty here.
Had that same surgery Dec of 22.
They were correct in saying good by September.
Time frame reflects what I saw first time - usable sooner, but to be at the point where I didn't notice it any more took 10 months.

David
NM

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back