Should of just sat down......

mdcrossbow

In hine sight I should have just sat down.
My friend Gro and I hunted the Green Swamp again. Just returned last night. My friend Mike set me up the 28th about 150 yards in the swamp about 6AM . It's about 10:30 and nothing gobbling so I decided to head back to the truck. Took a wrong turn walking out and one thing lead to another. I'M LOST ! walking for hours, Trip and fell from bumping Cyprus knees. Planted my knees in the swamp many time. Started finding orange hunter type around trees figuring that I'd be lead out by them, no such luck. I found every tree stand in that swamp. It's getting late I fired off a shot just to see if I get feedback, nothing. I walk more and now its about 6 or 7 and I walk up on a berm with black water canal on the other side. I'm not crossing that ! There's dinosaurs here not to mentioned the Cotton Mouths, Pygmy rattlers, Spiders and much more. I find a open dry are and Text Mike to blow his horn, this so I'll know the direction to walk out in the morning. It's now dark I set my lil 2 man popup up , fire off 3 shots, which is the I'm in distress signal. Nothing responds But later I hear Mikes horn about half mile away. He knew I would not try to walk out at night. I get in my popup and fall asleep only to be awaken and short while later by a helicopter passing over me. there are 2 of them working a search grid. I get out of the popup and every time they came near I'd wave at them. They never picked me up of inferred. there were also 3 dog tracker and about 30 cops out on the road treating my friend Grosvenor like a murder suspect. He couldn't do anything. He did keep the fire department from breaking my window to the van, they were pissed. But they called in a tow truck guy to Jimmy the window. So about 1:30 AM search was called off for the night.
In the morning at sunrise I had the sun coming off the backside of my left shoulder and I headed west towards the sound of the horns the night before. They had 1 helicopter and a drone out in the morning but were off the grid area in was in. At about 9:30 I hear talking and I responded to their voices and sat on a log. Tired and just plan worn out. Only thing I had to eat was one energy bar the morning before and conserved 1 bottle of water with a quarter inch left. These 5 young Wildlife game wardens were so respectful. Handed me fresh water , carried my shotgun, popup, turkey decoys and fanny pack for me the last 300 yards or so.
I had a better evening then my friends did I know that. Sleep good except for some creature that came to investigate me in the middle of the night which I think was a bob cat.
I had great prayer time felt fully protected and it was strange but never once got fearful. As a believer I said well God "I'm here for a reason" and the spirit of peace fell on me !
I wasn't thinking about Easter but I was opened up to the Full Suffering that my Lord had to endure for me. Sorry but it's a big part of this story during my trek being lost.
Moving on , once I was out EMTs looked me over and gave me a fine bill of health one of the EMTs took my info and when I told him my birth date he said that's my date also. Then the next day 2 new hunter came in from Arkansas and one of the guys was also born on the 23rd of Aug.
So I did make the news that evening and I did have my Frances Marion experience. Not pictures cause I LOST MY Phone Again !
Mike Grosvenor and myself went back to look for my phone and when we were entering the are near where I spent the night Mike says , "This is bad" ! we are in a place I wouldn't go and stay clear of. We never did find my phone.

Glad ya got out. I avoid swamps for numerous reasons.

Just sitting down is usually the best approach. My one time of being a mite bit confused overnight just amounted to me pitching my tarp with my backpack as centerpole, and sleeping it off. My buddy got there just in time for a hot breakfast the next morning - I had missed a turn, so to speak, and had hiked some miles beyond him.

David
NM

I'm glad you made it out without injuries. I've been lost quite a few places and swamps are the worse, especially swamps in warm weather when cottonmouths, copperheads and skeeters are active. I've wandered around the Patuxent NWR MD swamps, but always had a GPS. The cypress swamps in Maryland and oxbows on the Patuxent have a unique beauty.

In hine sight I should have just sat down.
My friend Gro and I hunted the Green Swamp again. Just returned last night. My friend Mike set me up the 28th about 150 yards in the swamp about 6AM . It's about 10:30 and nothing gobbling so I decided to head back to the truck. Took a wrong turn walking out and one thing lead to another. I'M LOST ! walking for hours, Trip and fell from bumping Cyprus knees. Planted my knees in the swamp many time. Started finding orange hunter type around trees figuring that I'd be lead out by them, no such luck. I found every tree stand in that swamp. It's getting late I fired off a shot just to see if I get feedback, nothing. I walk more and now its about 6 or 7 and I walk up on a berm with black water canal on the other side. I'm not crossing that ! There's dinosaurs here not to mentioned the Cotton Mouths, Pygmy rattlers, Spiders and much more. I find a open dry are and Text Mike to blow his horn, this so I'll know the direction to walk out in the morning. It's now dark I set my lil 2 man popup up , fire off 3 shots, which is the I'm in distress signal. Nothing responds But later I hear Mikes horn about half mile away. He knew I would not try to walk out at night. I get in my popup and fall asleep only to be awaken and short while later by a helicopter passing over me. there are 2 of them working a search grid. I get out of the popup and every time they came near I'd wave at them. They never picked me up of inferred. there were also 3 dog tracker and about 30 cops out on the road treating my friend Grosvenor like a murder suspect. He couldn't do anything. He did keep the fire department from breaking my window to the van, they were pissed. But they called in a tow truck guy to Jimmy the window. So about 1:30 AM search was called off for the night.
In the morning at sunrise I had the sun coming off the backside of my left shoulder and I headed west towards the sound of the horns the night before. They had 1 helicopter and a drone out in the morning but were off the grid area in was in. At about 9:30 I hear talking and I responded to their voices and sat on a log. Tired and just plan worn out. Only thing I had to eat was one energy bar the morning before and conserved 1 bottle of water with a quarter inch left. These 5 young Wildlife game wardens were so respectful. Handed me fresh water , carried my shotgun, popup, turkey decoys and fanny pack for me the last 300 yards or so.
I had a better evening then my friends did I know that. Sleep good except for some creature that came to investigate me in the middle of the night which I think was a bob cat.
I had great prayer time felt fully protected and it was strange but never once got fearful. As a believer I said well God "I'm here for a reason" and the spirit of peace fell on me !
I wasn't thinking about Easter but I was opened up to the Full Suffering that my Lord had to endure for me. Sorry but it's a big part of this story during my trek being lost.
Moving on , once I was out EMTs looked me over and gave me a fine bill of health one of the EMTs took my info and when I told him my birth date he said that's my date also. Then the next day 2 new hunter came in from Arkansas and one of the guys was also born on the 23rd of Aug.
So I did make the news that evening and I did have my Frances Marion experience. Not pictures cause I LOST MY Phone Again !
Mike Grosvenor and myself went back to look for my phone and when we were entering the are near where I spent the night Mike says , "This is bad" ! we are in a place I wouldn't go and stay clear of. We never did find my phone.
Glad you're okay. This is why I always carry my InnReach and a downloaded Onx map on my phone.

I'm glad you made it out without injuries. I've been lost quite a few places and swamps are the worse, especially swamps in warm weather when cottonmouths, copperheads and skeeters are active. I've wandered around the Patuxent NWR MD swamps, but always had a GPS. The cypress swamps in Maryland and oxbows on the Patuxent have a unique beauty.
I've hunted that swamp a few time. I still don't like them.

Back