Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wolf Poaching

I am sure some of you fellows remember 3 men being charged with several violations, approx a year or so ago. One of the three was a retired Missoula Mt police officer. The offenses happen just across the border form us in Alaska. We get poachers from both B.C. and Alaska. They poach caribou, sheep, bears and wolves. They all upset me but the one that really upsets me is when someone "flock shoots" caribou when a herd is migrating. They just shoot as many as they can and let them rot.

We have trapped and hunted all my life and have never wasted an animal. The animal provides food, clothing, income and we never abuse our right to hunt them and even self impose restrictions upon ourselves in some cases.

Some will illegally fly across the border ( both ways-- Canada/Alaska) and try to illegally take a Dall and Stone in their quest to have all four North America sheep species. Some have been caught via their social media posting and of course they can not register their "Slam".

I do fall into the camp, that poaching is poaching. If one is killing game ( Elk, Caribou, Moose, Bear, Goat---or Wolf ) illegally, then you are poaching.

That's interesting...the bolded part. I was born in Missoula and when I read the bolded part about retired Missoula Police Officer...the first person that came to mind was Casey Richardson.

I worked with his Brother early in my career and know Casey a bit as well. I'm not surprised really, but pretty disappointed to learn about his violations and didn't recall hearing this story until now. Had it coming, he knows better.

I think this guy was going to do this regardless of anything but the courts have really made the wolf issue polarizing in our part of the world. This is probably pretty foreign to your guys with active wolf seasons. Unfortunately, the wolf has turned into a symbol of urban "woke" culture to the rural communities of the midwest. You can imagine how they are treated most of the time in a chance encounter.

This is a solid reminder to me to try to “look through another’s glass.” We must try, even to “woke” culture. Remember when politics was considered the art of compromise? We need leadership what brings people together, focuses on facts, but listens to opinions. Then uses the information to work with everyone to find a compromise. Yes, it is a challenge. No, not everyone will get onboard. That’s why we live in a democracy. The noisy shouldn’t rule. The rich shouldn’t rule. The majority is supposed to rule. Let’s build a majority of calm thoughtful conservationists focused on facts.

It is known as an incedental catch. If you can release the animal alive yourself it is expected. If you cannot release the animal alive or don't want to try you would contact the MDNR and give them the location of the catch and a possible meeting and they will show you how to release it. If you catch an animal in a trap and it is dead, there are incedental tags available that you attach the tag, release the dead animal, and turn it in to the closest MDNR office.

Thanks for the info

That's interesting...the bolded part. I was born in Missoula and when I read the bolded part about retired Missoula Police Officer...the first person that came to mind was Casey Richardson.

I worked with his Brother early in my career and know Casey a bit as well. I'm not surprised really, but pretty disappointed to learn about his violations and didn't recall hearing this story until now. Had it coming, he knows better.

Jeffery Harris, Dale Lackner, Casey Richardson. Illegeal Sheep Hunts.

Typical low hanging fruit response.

One disagrees with wolf poaching, I will label them a wolf lover. Good one.

Good luck with the new smoker. Probably would work good with bear meat.
Dang you guys really are ruthless. No worries. I have 2 elk, 2 whitetail, and some lion meat in the freezer. I will figure something out.

Bullshit. It has nothing to do with the city. Wolves are proven killers. I have no issue with them, but don't treat them like they are innocent. They are blood-thirsty killing machines and it takes very little research to prove it. I know a warden here in Nebraska that used to hunt/guide in western Wyoming and the wolves wiped out the moose in his areas.

They need to be managed, like any other wildlife, but not necessarily poached-although I would not turn in someone that I caught shooting one out of bounds.

Poaching is poaching. Cities drastically affect populations, especially migratory species. Humans love to build in migration routes and winter range. Wolves are carnivores that need to be managed legally.

Not sure if he still runs a bear camp in Sask, but it was the site of the first hunt talk bear hunt. Not sure if I still have the T-shirt...

thanks for the explanation, I know this guy wasn’t accidentally doing this just got me thinking.
There is also some value to the Michigan Incidental Tag. The animals that are turned in to the MDNR are usually used for research. They receive the entire animal therefore a full examination is possible. Full anatomy can be studied. An example for these studies are parasites. A lot of these studies are broken down to the university levels in the state. It is a great program for biologists and ecologists. I just want to point out that incidental catch is not a wasted resource. It is a controlled program that has benefits beyond turning in a trapping catch legally.

Last edited:
It is a controlled program that has benefits beyond turning in a trapping catch legally.
That's a good setting. Not heard of such. I may pass this on to MT FWP. Is this more due to snare capture that may add collateral to the intended target of the snare trap? MT still does not permit snares. It seems Michigan re-instituted snares(?).

That's a good setting. Not heard of such. I may pass this on to MT FWP. Is this more due to snare capture that may add collateral to the intended target of the snare trap? MT still does not permit snares. It seems Michigan re-instituted snares(?).
This incidental tag program was active before snaring regulations came out. A trap or catching mechanism at times will run into an animal that is atypical and not the intended catch species.

Last edited:
This incedental tag program was active before snaring regulations came out. A trap or catching mechanism at times will run into an animal that is atypical and not the intended catch species.
A little of topic, but I would likento see the use of snares be made legal in Montana for wolves and coyotes.

BTW the man in question poached other game animals and is scum in my book. However, unlike most of the blowhards that say SSS on the internet this guy actually got with it. I can at least respect that more than guys blowing their mouth off about breaking the law on public forums.

I guess the thing that supprised me was how utterly stupid the guy was with running his mouth. FWIW I would not want to be on the wrong side of CO Lundberg.
Reminds me of Meateater's announced dumbest poacher for '19... The knucklehead targets a high society hunting farmed, high fenced monster buck, blasts it, lops it's head, and poses with it for social media. :LOL:

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back