Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wolf Poaching

So looking at the article it implies he was trapping not out shooting these for the most part anyway can’t say all of them were from trapping..

but anyway to my question I know zero about trapping so this may be a dumb question. What happens if you do end up with an animal in your trap that Is protected or wasn’t what you had set your traps for? I’m not giving this guy an out by any means bcuz this wasn’t by accident.. but I’m asking what happens if a law abiding trapper ends up with something in his trap/snare or whatever that is endangered or he wasnt planning to catch?

This video shows one way of releasing an incidental wolf catch. It is a bit easier using a catch pole. Plenty of other wolf release videos on youtube.

It is known as an incedental catch. If you can release the animal alive yourself it is expected. If you cannot release the animal alive or don't want to try you would contact the MDNR and give them the location of the catch and a possible meeting and they will show you how to release it. If you catch an animal in a trap and it is dead, there are incedental tags available that you attach the tag, release the dead animal, and turn it in to the closest MDNR office.

thanks for the explanation, I know this guy wasn’t accidentally doing this just got me thinking.

So looking at the article it implies he was trapping not out shooting these for the most part anyway can’t say all of them were from trapping..

but anyway to my question I know zero about trapping so this may be a dumb question. What happens if you do end up with an animal in your trap that Is protected or wasn’t what you had set your traps for? I’m not giving this guy an out by any means bcuz this wasn’t by accident.. but I’m asking what happens if a law abiding trapper ends up with something in his trap/snare or whatever that is endangered or he wasnt planning to catch?

I trapped as a kid. The size of the trap, the placement of the trap, the lure or bait or none, the sign from animals in the area, etc, help you have good results. For example, a trap for a muskrat would never catch a beaver. A creekside "burrow" set with piece of fish set for a mink would never catch a coyote. If you trap long enough then you will have a trap triggered by an animal that was not your primary or even secondary target. Often, that unintended animal or bird would not be caught, though. If is caught then depending on the state of the caught animal you can attempt to release.

This video shows one way of releasing an incidental wolf catch. It is a bit easier using a catch pole. Plenty of other wolf release videos on youtube.

Ya I think I’d be calling a professional in if that happened I wouldn’t want to get my face ripped off

Put a city the size of Boise in the WY and you'd see the same reduction. WY gets off the hook by not having nearly the resident pressure that states like ID and MT have. Blaming wolves is a joke.
Bullshit. It has nothing to do with the city. Wolves are proven killers. I have no issue with them, but don't treat them like they are innocent. They are blood-thirsty killing machines and it takes very little research to prove it. I know a warden here in Nebraska that used to hunt/guide in western Wyoming and the wolves wiped out the moose in his areas.

They need to be managed, like any other wildlife, but not necessarily poached-although I would not turn in someone that I caught shooting one out of bounds.

That’s not the same thing. Don’t act like killing wolves is the same thing as killing elk and sheep. If a wolf gets poached, most of us hunters don’t care (except you). If one of our elk deer ect gets poached, we all care.

Personally, I like wolf poaching even less than elk poaching. It gives legitimate hunters an even blacker eye.

I have purchased a wolf tag, most years. If the chance arises,,, and I have a tag,, I will kill one.

One observation I have made is if you are seeing a lot of wolf sign,,, there very likely elk in the immediate area. A couple years ago, my brother and I ran into wolf sign all over the area we were hunting. One morning riding up the mountain in the predawn darkness we had three sets of wolf eyes reflecting back to us from a headlamp. I knew something was around as my horse was on full alert. Another day they howled from behind a ridge that was maybe 1/4mile from us. We also were into elk pretty much every day we hunted.

The following year, hunting the same drainage, there was no wolf sign and almost no elk sign. I can't remember seeing an elk in that area that year.

I think the majority of guys sporting the "Smoke a Pack a Day" and SSS bumper stickers are mostly bluster.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of wolves or more-so, not a fan at our piss poor management of wolf populations. I support their place/role in our ecosystem.
I'm much more opposed to criminals and that's a poacher.
It's a black eye to hunting conservationists and promotes ignorant sympathy voters, such as the Colorado debacle.
Poaching activities that spark b.s. sensationalized media koolAid for those creating anti-hunting rationalized agendas... that poacher harmed his/her own opposition towards wolves in the short sighted poaching action. It increases membership revenue for nut-job environmental extremist organizations such as the Center For Biological Diversity and their crony "science" to deceive city slickers and PETA heads into believing wolves fart rainbows out their ass as one person was quoted.

It's piss poor ethics. Crappy morals and a person of that level holds no respect from myself. They just fed more $ to those organizations I dislike.

It is silly how some dumb wolf walking in the woods can be so contentious and symbolic. Another sign of the the strange times we live in.

Well, while all you wolf lovers lose your minds, I’m moving on to bigger and better things. Like Brookies on the new smoker, (Which ain’t no traeger since I sold that piece of crap) and going to the lake to try for walleye from the bank. Adiós to this thread.

I am sure some of you fellows remember 3 men being charged with several violations, approx a year or so ago. One of the three was a retired Missoula Mt police officer. The offenses happen just across the border form us in Alaska. We get poachers from both B.C. and Alaska. They poach caribou, sheep, bears and wolves. They all upset me but the one that really upsets me is when someone "flock shoots" caribou when a herd is migrating. They just shoot as many as they can and let them rot.

We have trapped and hunted all my life and have never wasted an animal. The animal provides food, clothing, income and we never abuse our right to hunt them and even self impose restrictions upon ourselves in some cases.

Some will illegally fly across the border ( both ways-- Canada/Alaska) and try to illegally take a Dall and Stone in their quest to have all four North America sheep species. Some have been caught via their social media posting and of course they can not register their "Slam".

I do fall into the camp, that poaching is poaching. If one is killing game ( Elk, Caribou, Moose, Bear, Goat---or Wolf ) illegally, then you are poaching.

That’s not the same thing. Don’t act like killing wolves is the same thing as killing elk and sheep. If a wolf gets poached, most of us hunters don’t care (except you). If one of our elk deer ect gets poached, we all care.

I do care, and it is the same thing. Your statement is completely pathetic

Well, while all you wolf lovers lose your minds, I’m moving on to bigger and better things. Like Brookies on the new smoker, (Which ain’t no traeger since I sold that piece of crap) and going to the lake to try for walleye from the bank. Adiós to this thread.
Typical low hanging fruit response.

One disagrees with wolf poaching, I will label them a wolf lover. Good one.

Good luck with the new smoker. Probably would work good with bear meat.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back