MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WISCONSIN DNR ESTIMATES 972 WOLVES IN CURRENT POPULATION

Thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see the population estimates over the next few years without a wolf season.

I am generally supportive of the WDNR, but I am a bit skeptical of their wolf count numbers. The success rates of the last wolf hunt seem impossible to me if we truly have <1000 wolves in the entire state. I know they attributed a lot of it to how effective hunters were, but they also routinely blame hunters effort/skill for poor deer harvest numbers.

I wonder why they say 972? I suppose it sound better than saying 1,000.

Reactions: OMB
It is also the "over winter" number. From what been I remember reading a couple yrs ago you can usually double that number for the late summer/fall numbers based on pups born. So ~2,000ish wolves would not be incorrect.

I think I have the other 1.5% over on my property in Ashland county. So just between the two of us we have 3% of the DNRs numbers. I do have trail camera pictures with deer quarters in their mouth running through the property. I think there numbers are very conservative.

I think I have the other 1.5% over on my property in Ashland county. So just between the two of us we have 3% of the DNRs numbers. I do have trail camera pictures with deer quarters in their mouth running through the property. I think there numbers are very conservative.

Given the difficulty of counting wolves in heavy timber and not knowing the modeling they use, I think you are correct - it's a conservative number.

They do give a range. Most biologists would probably not give a specific number, it's for the journalists to write eye catching articles.
This. The 972 is most likely a modeling prediction based on all data inputs with a percentage above and below the predicted number.

Wolf Population by State 2022
  • Arizona: 72.
  • California: About 20.
  • Idaho: 1,500.
  • Michigan: 700.
  • Minnesota: 2,699.
  • Montana: 1,000.
  • New Mexico: 114.
  • Oregon: 175.
Pretty soon we can add CO to the list :)

The estimate is 972 and the lower and upper confidence limits are 812 and 1,193 respectively.

This is the method wildlife population numbers are reported; an estimate with confidence limits.

ClearCreek

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bo.mooneyham
Back