Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
No out of state plans for this fall and summer CO family trip in August looking iffy. Family, 25 employees, the business, and market concerns topping the priority list. On the bright side we were able to retain our local hunting dirt for three more years so we'll prolly fashion a camp.

I am wholly ignorant to economics, and it is early on in this piece of history we are living, and calamity gets clicks, but I found some of the stats in this article interesting..

"The level of debt in America’s corporate sector amounts to 75 percent of the country’s gross domestic product, breaking the previous record set in 2008. Among large American companies, debt burdens are precariously high in the auto, hospitality and transportation sectors — industries taking a direct hit from the coronavirus. "

"The average American company owned by a private equity firm has debts equal to six times its annual earnings, a level twice what ratings agencies consider “junk.”

On my mind are the folks this is hurting right now. I hope we can help them.

No out of state plans for this fall and summer CO family trip in August looking iffy. Family, 25 employees, the business, and market concerns topping the priority list. On the bright side we were able to retain our local hunting dirt for three more years so we'll prolly fashion a camp.
I like the fact that you put employees on your priority list. Your a dying breed, fortunately my employer feels the same, as far as I can see anyhow.

Going bear hunting at my buddy's lodge in Northern Manitoba this spring for black bear (assuming I will still be able to cross the border then). He is losing half his bookings so I want to help him stay in business. If you have friends who are lodge owners you should probably book a trip with them to help them out.

Our people are hourly journeymen craftsmen, laborer/helpers, and admin/clerical. We are being proactive about the possibility of mandated or sick time off, speaking with our PEO, lending institution, while committing our company resources (dough) to their security and wellness. Our vendors are also committing to their own and our proactivity. Communication and a plan.

Last edited:
Some of the numbers in the article @Nameless Range posted are sobering. I really feel for those folks. Those who survive, I hope they drastically reshape their business model so they aren't leveraging debt to the extent they are.

I just got notice today my side job, which I use to fund hunting trips and a new/used pickup, was suspended for 30 days. It certainly won't have the financial impact some folks will feel. My tag was already purchased, and my travel costs are relatively low.

It might end up being a good thing for some people that Montana moved the LE permit and NR combo apps to April 1 . Gives people more time to decide if they can put in or not .

If this drags out half as long as they’re saying now I think it will end up having quite a bit of an affect on the western hunting boom. I think there’s going to be a decent portion of the population that is going to be worried about even having a job come hunting season. The economic affect of a nationwide shut down is hard to even wrap your head around.

Its interesting to watch the poll numbers change. At one point, I think it was around 93% "no concern". Might be interesting to run a new poll in several weeks just to see how it compares when its more clear which direction the virus and economy are heading.
Yep. Wondering if that Colorado elk tag is gonna need to wait another year...

Changed my vote as things have changed a lot since it was first posted. To much up in the air right now. Hopefully it stays where it is right now. Not applying in Colorado until the last day of I apply at all

The ski resort my son works at ceased operations this week. That will definitely impact his applications.

I might actually pull out of some big things that would have potential to cost me a lot of money. I’m going to submit NM today and am back and forth on applying for sheep.
I have a little side thing that I work that I can make a few grand here and there fairly easily that allows me to pay for things like a $3200 NM Sheep tag if I were to hit the jackpot and draw, without it coming out of the regular household budget. If the economy grinds to a halt, so does that.

It might end up being a good thing for some people that Montana moved the LE permit and NR combo apps to April 1 . Gives people more time to decide if they can put in or not .
And it might increase my draw odds since I put in and paid the first day 2020 tags went on sale... not that I’d pull out at this point regardless.

The ski resort my son works at ceased operations this week. That will definitely impact his applications.
All ski resorts in UT closed after last Saturday. All Alterra and Vail owned resorts closed as well. Vail announced today they will not reopen any resorts this season except for “maybe” Breck, Heavenly and Whistler-Blackcomb - but only if things turns around quickly and weather cooperates. I doubt any will reopen given that most late season skiers are locals on season passes and don’t generate much revenue. It’ll be interesting to see what they do relative to Epic and Ikon passes. They’ve offered refunds for pre-purchased resort tickets, it haven’t said anything about the mega passes.

Back