Yeti GOBOX Collection

Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
I’m still living life as normal so nothing really changed. I’m just following the rules as I always do. I don’t go out much to begin with

A lot has changed in the past 12 days since I made that post. I am still planning to go on my hunting trips but I am currently practicing social distancing just like everyone else should be. I too have elderly family that I am not going to be anywhere near. I also have very young kids who I don’t want to bring troubles to. I still feel the flu is a serious detriment that no one pays attention to and am still frustrated about the panic being induced due to this. By no means am I trying to be part of the problem and add to the pandemic though.
I hadn't noticed how long ago you wrote that. Hope you didn't take it as a real knock, just disagreeing, no offense intended. Stay healthy!

I hadn't noticed how long ago you wrote that. Hope you didn't take it as a real knock, just disagreeing, no offense intended. Stay healthy!
Same to all of you on here. Stay healthy. I may not know any of you or your families but I still hope everyone escapes this without pain or trouble.

My wife just got laid off today. It came out of the blue because she works in healthcare and just got a promotion last week. I went from crossing my fingers that I draw an elk tag with one of my remaining applications to crossing my fingers that I don't, in the blink of an eye.
Very sorry to hear that Jim, tough news.

My wife just got laid off today. It came out of the blue because she works in healthcare and just got a promotion last week. I went from crossing my fingers that I draw an elk tag with one of my remaining applications to crossing my fingers that I don't, in the blink of an eye.

Sorry to hear that.

Thank you. What we have going for us is that she'll have a good job waiting for her when this situation clears up. They closed down all departments in her hospital that are not essential to treating Covid-19 patients. While the procedures her department does are very important, the vast majority are not considered an emergency. So, for the time being, she was told to stay at home and file for unemployment. If things get really bad, she'll get called in to the front lines. I pray that does not happen for everyone's sake. They are actually in the process of preparing her hospital (a children's hospital) to take in adult patients. It'll be a tough few months, but it will be for many.

On the bright side, my dad drew an AZ elk tag. That means I get to go elk hunting without the cost of a tag. It's hard to beat that.

i changed my vote.. life is literally changing in two days.. I work in the plumbing/pipefitting/mechanical trades. they started shutting outside contractors out of plants and factories last week, this week everyday a new commercial project gets shut down..i got sent home today due to a potentially exposed person on site.. We've never laid anyone off in 40 years..now the future is filled with unknowns.. my wife is an OT that treats people post-op, they canceled all elective surgeries and by the end of next week who knows.. i withdrew my wyoming application and probably won't apply in the remainder of the states like i normally do..the future is just filled with too many unknowns and i have a family to take care of.. everyone that wanted something to improve the draw odds..well congrats. its your year

I would have said no when the poll started...even a couple days ago probably said it wouldn't change my plans.

But, I have a feeling it is going to change things a bit for me. I was going to apply for every species I could this year for legit chances at tags, in all the states I apply for (UT, WY, MT, AZ, NV, CO and a few that I apply for off and on). Think I'll probably play it a little more on the safe side in the remaining states. Probably lean more towards either points only/long odds for the common species (deer, elk, pronghorn). At my age, I just cant afford to wait for moose, sheep, goat, bison and only apply for points for those. I need to maximize every application for those species I can by applying, not gaining another point that is mostly useless anyway.

I have plenty of time to apply for things I get to hunt every year (deer, elk, pronghorn)...no rush on those and would rather be a bit more certain on travel, etc.

Part of me wants to swing from the fences and apply for some tags I probably wouldn’t draw on a normal year.
But with a baby due in October, I’m staying home regardless. Don’t even know if I’ll buy points this year, had them in my cart for CO last night then shut the computer off.
We were gonna put our house on the market next month too but decided to hold off another year.

I will still go, maybe. I have an uncle who used to work on Wall Street that said he thinks this whole might go into a pretty deep recession. Hopefully it will just bounce back. Fingers crossed.

As of now travel restrictions would be the only thing keeping us from going this year. We have some trips lined up, 2 fishing, 2 hunting. But that could change too. The June fishing trip to Canada could be in jeopardy due to travel restrictions.

On that note what are the odds of getting a passport renewal done anytime soon?

As of now travel restrictions would be the only thing keeping us from going this year. We have some trips lined up, 2 fishing, 2 hunting. But that could change too. The June fishing trip to Canada could be in jeopardy due to travel restrictions.

On that note what are the odds of getting a passport renewal done anytime soon?
Passport renewal is still running on time (for now - until they start thinning the number of personnel allowed to work at one time). I asked that question yesterday because I'm going to be due for renewal as well - the guy I spoke with at the passport agency said he wasnt concerned for a total stoppage.

I voted no effect initially, but there very well may be now, even though I only had one out of state hunt planned. I may or may not do that one, would be OTC. I will be more likely to stick close to home even within the state on antelope apps, etc.
I will probably hunt as many days, but they’ll likely be closer to home and therefore in different units than I would’ve spread seasons out in.

Part of me wants to swing from the fences and apply for some tags I probably wouldn’t draw on a normal year.
But with a baby due in October, I’m staying home regardless. Don’t even know if I’ll buy points this year, had them in my cart for CO last night then shut the computer off.
We were gonna put our house on the market next month too but decided to hold off another year.

We had our first child last summer and I thought I’d be ready to go by fall. I went on both my hunts drastically underprepared with almost zero e-scouting and no time for physical scouting, plus the mindset of “get it done ASAP and come home”. I didn’t harvest anything out of state, and my enjoyment was severely hampered. Enjoy your new child! Congrats!

It’s been 2 weeks since I voted and things have changed! I’m hoping things improve before i start my trip in Oct, but more importantly I need to decide if I apply for elk in CO. I really don’t want to miss out this year but i don’t like the prospect of retuning a tag and losing my points.

As of today, still no change for my plans/applications. Work, for me right now is still business as usual as is with my wife. She has been notified that she may be pressed into helping diagnose, treat, screen, COVID patients. Her not being allowed to come home or travel restrictions come hunting season are the only thing that would change my plans.

Back