Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
I don’t believe that . Lots of application deadlines have already passed . It’ll be same number of apps for most western states as usual

I don’t agree. The only state deadlines that have passed are AZ elk/antelope, WY Elk and UT everything. Everything else is open. MT extended until April 1st this year.

This thing couldn’t have hit at a worse time in terms of applications. Lots of uncertainty out there. Possible mandated national quarantine looming. Layoffs are just about to start.

People will be okay and make it through this, but shooting an 18” mule deer is not at the top of the list of priorities.

Only change is if this gets REALLY bad, I’ll move off-grid full time instead of just during hunting season. Been contemplating that for awhile, and wouldn’t need much of a nudge.

I don’t agree. The only state deadlines that have passed are AZ elk/antelope, WY Elk and UT everything. Everything else is open. MT extended until April 1st this year.

This thing couldn’t have hit at a worse time in terms of applications. Lots of uncertainty out there. Possible mandated national quarantine looming. Layoffs are just about to start.

People will be okay and make it through this, but shooting an 18” mule deer is not at the top of the list of priorities.
Agreed. There will be no point creep this year.

We are starting to see schools close around us in Missouri so that means a lot of people will be missing work to babysit. I don't see mid or top end units seeing changes. I think we will see the lower point units and easy to draw tags take a small hit

Shut downs will only be few weeks this is a seasonal disease . Montana will get just as many apps as last year , count on it .

Shut downs will only be few weeks this is a seasonal disease . Montana will get just as many apps as last year , count on it .

I am gonna go out on a limb and say it's gonna change some things. If a guy has to take a few weeks off to babysit or fork out some major funds to pay for child care that could change plans quickly. Most people wait last minute to apply for draws due. So with NM and MT just around the corner I could see it really effecting the amount they apply for or at least their strategy.

I won't even mention the amount of money a small business owner my suffer from people basically in quarantine. Driving to work this morning I could see a difference in traffic congestion. This all rolls downhill at the end of the day. We are just in the beginning of this thing it's gonna get much worse.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say it's gonna change some things. If a guy has to take a few weeks off to babysit or fork out some major funds to pay for child care that could change plans quickly. Most people wait last minute to apply for draws due. So with NM and MT just around the corner I could see it really effecting the amount they apply for or at least their strategy.

I won't even mention the amount of money a small business owner my suffer from people basically in quarantine. Driving to work this morning I could see a difference in traffic congestion. This all rolls downhill at the end of the day. We are just in the beginning of this thing it's gonna get much worse.
Yeh . Your probably right

Depends completely on how long this gets dragged out or how quickly we return to 'normal.'
If we get past April 1 and everything is not back up and running and most of the events don't
get rescheduled then the economic ramifications will run deep and lasting.
Layoffs, cutbacks and markets that do not rebound, then discretionary money goes to rainy
day money.
There will be cutbacks on everything, especially out-of-state hunting.
If this virus somehow peaks in terms of new cases, within the next 7 days and schools
and businesses get back to normal then we'll be ok and hunting season goes on almost as normal.

As a small business owner, I'm very concerned. My business was off to a very good start to the year. In the last few days, everything has gone to hell.
Money that's normally set aside for hunting and travel, will likely be spent feeding the family and paying the bills until this thing runs its course.
The self employed and those that work for small business are already feeling pressure.

As I said earlier, Idaho could likely have a big deja vu. The next few years may not be kind to conservation efforts and funding.

Those who have financial stability and security, and have been playing the point game may find the world is their oyster for the next few years.

Definitively not looking good. At this point, the decline in apps is virtually guaranteed. I would be very surprised if that turns out to not be the case. I guess we’ll see when MT draws in mid-April.

So much of this economy was built on debt, and it doesn’t take much to drop a house of cards. Americans and the politicians have spent like drunken sailors since the last recession. I pray this virus doesn’t effect the masses of the population as predicted.

On a serious note - this is getting bad ,real bad . The economy is going to crash badly and it’s going to get worse yet before it gets better . This is going to put lots of people out of jobs and out on the street unfortunately. This is very serious. We can just hope and pray that in a month or two we can start to get back to normal or the new normal atleast

NM State Parks closed. Ski resorts closed early. Report said all tourism has taken a hit in just one week. Could effect the growing outdoors tourism that was doing good.
Will ruin my areas economy which is 90% Public Lands involved. Cafes,stores,garage,motel,etc....over half their income from hunting.

Back