Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
I'd say it's pretty hard for any of us to predict the impacts this may be having on us 6 months from now. It's a lot more than how well our stocks are doing or whether or not we catch a virus. I think the untold story right now is the potential severity of disruption beyond those who become infected. There may be significant economic, workforce, and education disruptions. Companies slowing production, local businesses failing due to people isolating themselves, school closures, etc. The healthcare system is going to be taxed beyond just impacts at hospitals. Think about impacts to first responders, dialysis centers, urgent care centers, childcare facilities, etc. Breaking news came across my phone 25 minutes ago: "White House considering tax relief for airline, travel, and cruise industries hurt by coronavirus." Is everyone going to be bailed out? If you don't have families to worry about, or a business, or a job, then perhaps it's easy to predict the fall now. For many of us, not so easy.

Since I'm already "out west" I'm not concerned with the trip. However, uncertainty surrounding my employment status is pushing me towards OTC rather than draw.

I am putting in for more tags than I ever have across the West. Let the chips fall where they may. If I get COVID-19 and die or get t-boned by a drunk driver on the way home from work tonight, it has been a great run and God has blessed me FAR more than I deserve!

Well, with Oil prices cratering and the virus disrupting employment for thousands of Americans....this is getting really interesting now.....they better not pull a North Italy quarantine and lock down travel for entire states.

For me, no changes to my plans expected. The only reason I can potentially see for altering my plans is if things continually get worse over the next 6-8 months and stuff like daycares or schools start closing, then yeah, I'm probably not going to be able to go.

i'm kinda switching my mindset from a passing market panic to incoming recession

the limit down made me pay a little more attention

plans not changing yet. but we're holding off an buying another car so we can see how the dust settles. i'm essentially public sector, my wifes industry can be a little more volatile though

i'm kinda switching my mindset from a passing market panic to incoming recession

the limit down made me pay a little more attention

plans not changing yet. but we're holding off an buying another car so we can see how the dust settles. i'm essentially public sector, my wifes industry can be a little more volatile though
Samesies here - I was nearly into 2 trucks already but I'm pausing for now because that free cash is becoming more valuable. My industry (Management Consulting/professional services) is usually a bellwether for economic turndowns because however often we say we are 'trusted advisors' and indisensible partners to our clients (and we are) - most professional services are discretionary spending and often get trimmed early in these economy-wide events. On the flip side - my specialization (Supply Chain) is going to need signficant help both to navigate the current disruptions as well as helping companies get their heads above water when the 'mouse moves through the snake' and all that pent-up demand comes crashing in.

In the meantime, @Oak reminded me I need to send my annual $ over there for my sheep, goat and pronghorn tags and I am about to lend the state of New Mexico about 7500 bones.

I called the recession last fall and got blowback as the trailing economic indicators did not qualify for the definition. Well, here we are. Economic contraction is evident. Anyone who thinks this is a burp in a decade-plus of growth is not paying attention. Conventions canceling. Concerts canceling. Sporting events banning attendees. Cruises canceled. Airline flights canceled. Hotel rooms canceled. SXSW canceled. People hitting the brakes on buying a car, a home, a vacation. People avoiding restaurants, malls, movie theaters. Hospitalizations. Quarantines that are unpaid so workers lose a few weeks of pay. All of this leads to economic losses that in turn leads to layoffs. Sure, eventually you will buy a car or take that vacation but you will not get back the unpaid quarantine earnings and you will not double up on eating out or vacations so that spending is lost to the economy. Read the blog by the Italian doctor and the implications for each of us goes from "ah heck, old people die and this is just another winter flu bug" to "wow, our medical system is not built to handle dozens of new sick patients per hospital needing ICU care" once the virus gets to your town. Recession is here. Hoping is not a depression.

Back