Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
MR Metcalf - 1 season - Lack of access is my biggest complaint (top loading bag with one full length side zipper). Weight is another small issue, but for the price you can find these on sale for it's totally worth it if you're on a budget. I got used to the amount of straps/buckles and lack of organization options pretty quickly.

Eberlestock x1 series - 5 years probably - it was a cool little pack for running around in the mid-west, but I really saw the light once I upgraded.

This is my first year using a real backpack for hunting. I bought a 2018 MR Glacier and used it to pack in a camp for turkey hunting a short distance. I have been training with it and will use it in Idaho this October mule deer hunting.
First, its not designed as a hunting pack, there is no meat shelf. No fancy camo. No hip belt pockets.
Second, it weighs a substantial amount empty.
Third, the fit isnt 100% built to my back shape, but Im continually experimenting with adjustments for the best ride.

Now, I am still happy with my purchase ($200) because it is more comfortable and has better organization than Alpz. It's weight is from build quality, its a nice drab green color. It carries weight over 50lbs well enough. I expect to make it work just fine for a basecamp hunt as a daypack and haul out bag.
Is there anything that I should expect to give me trouble when its finally time to use the game bags?

MR Pintler- 1 season, haven't used it to pack out an animal yet. If I had to find a complaint the exterior molle webbing on the pack would be a lot more useful if it wasn't vertical. Almost every molle style pouch is set up with the webbing horizontal. I would like to add a couple canteen pouches so I didn't have to take up room on the inside as well as dig them out when it's time to swap with the one on my belt. It would be nice if it came with storage on the waist belt.

I had a Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS for a couple years. I have a long torso and it didn't fit well, plus there in't enough room. I've moved to a Seek Outside Saker and so far it has been great. Not a lot of organization in the pack, but it expands to a huge size and does an outstanding job of carrying weight.

Kuiu Icon pro 3200 (4yrs)
Pros: adjustable, light, easy to tighten down loads within the main compartment, cinches down nice for day pack use, pocket layout is practical, and has a load shelf.

Cons: squeaky no matter how much you adjust and tighten the load, hip belt and lumbar pad are uncomfortable under heavy weight (60+ lbs for me).

Overall probably not considered a high end pack but fits my needs 95% of the time. I’m hopeful to be headed out to Colorado next year with an elk muzzleloader tag and have no reservations about taking it.

My actual favorite pack is an old Blackhawk 3 day assault pack in OD green. It has its short comings as in not being able to pack meat, etc, but it is absolutely bomb proof and comfortable up to about 40lbs. It’s my go to day pack and has been literally all over the world with me. Nostalgia weighs heavy with this one but it just works.

Current is Kifaru Reckoning on Hunter Frame -- 2 years (3 bulls, 1 buck, 1 sheep)

Cons
  • Shoulder straps and load lifters don't line up so load lifters rub on my neck;
  • Bag feels dumpy at the bottom -- collects all gear and weight feels uneven vertically on the frame;
  • Side pockets too much material for the purpose (spotter);
Pros
  • Frame is more than I'll ever need to carry weight;
  • hip belt is plush;
  • buckles, straps and stitching is bombproof;
  • Access on reckoning is great (full length front zip)
Past packs:
1st gen Icon -- 3,000 in bag ripped in multiple spots; 5,200 bag ripped in multiple spots (stitching and otherwise); snapped the carbon frame on a pack out, buckles snapped if you looked at them funny.
Kifaru High camp/bikini frame -- simple, worked well, no meat shelf.
Kifaru Timberline -- dislike compartments and lack of meat shelf.

Looking real hard into SG Sky 5900

Badlands 2800 sucked because 1) the zippers were always breaking and 2) the frame stays weren’t capable of heavy loads.

Dana Design Glacier sucked because I was overloaded for the frame (over 65-80).

MR Metcalf sucked because it’s a little heavy. It sucked the least of the three and was a very unsucky pack.

MR Beartooth 80 sucks because it hasn’t arrived at my door yet.

Your Stone Glacier sucks because it’s expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a Kifaru Timberline 2 internal frame with composite stays for 3 years. Like the organization and the ability to add pockets as I saw fit. Packing out my bull this year about broke the composite stays. It just isn't designed to carry a load that is 80+ pounds. Materials are solid.

I just upgraded this spring to a Kifaru Hunter Lite frame with a 5000 Muskeg Bag. I've used it a few times so far for scouting and day hiking. The frame fits nice to the body and the shoulder straps are very padded. I haven't carried any heavy loads other than at their store. The 80 pound sandbag strapped to the frame did not feel like 80 pounds compared to my previous pack. I wish this bag had dual row PALS matrix on the sides for more spots to attach pouches.

Living a half hour away from their store I have stopped in multiple times for questions and they have been nothing but honest and helpful.

Kelty Tioga frame...1 moose,two mountain goats, 1 bear, lost track of elk ,deer,antelope between me and a couple buddies.
I tried a Metcalf . Liked the quality but not much else.
Basically came full circle around.
Wont pay $600 for a duffel bag with a frame.

Kelty Tioga frame...1 moose,two mountain goats, 1 bear, lost track of elk ,deer,antelope between me and a couple buddies.
I tried a Metcalf . Liked the quality but not much else.
Basically came full circle around.
Wont pay $600 for a duffel bag with a frame.
Kelty tioga is a elk packing machine! I also bought a alps hybrid x which does good but is a little small for overnight trips.

I bought a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 in 2012 (?). Many good features that I like. Lots of pockets to organize stuff, very comfortable, the carbon fiber frame is very light and flexes when moving around with a load. What I don't like - the outer pocket that would be ideal for a spotting scope is about an inch too short in my opinion. I have never been able to figure out the load shelf, the carbon frame continually slides out of the 'pockets' they fit into on the top of the pack. That drives me nuts. I still have it and use it but wanted something a little bigger so bought a MR Metcalf. I like just about everything about it so far. It compresses down sufficiently so as not to be cumbersome as a day pack, load shelf is easy to use, pack is very comfortable for all day use. What I don't like - its heavy, no pockets to organize stuff, the day lid kinda flops around when the pack isn't full. The waist belt is a couple inches shorter than I wish it was. I have 38" waist and the belt is almost maxed out.

I bought a second-hand Kuiu 3200 Icon Pro last summer. I'm not sure what year it's from, but it's from before they changed the system to the snapping buckles from the harness to the pack. Aside from the sewn-on buckles breaking on the shoulder harness (detailed in this thread: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/upgrade-pack-or-just-fix.290753/ ), I agree that the pack slipping off the frame posts is my biggest other complaint. Otherwise it seems like it's still got a lot of miles to go.

Past - MR Crew Cab and Metcalf on the NICE frame (6 seasons, ~25 animal pack outs)
Pros: Pretty comfortable with weight, durable, USA made, great customer service, meat shelf on metcalf, good compression to frame
Cons: Very heavy empty, squeaky, still feels really substantial with nothing in it, didn't like the load lifter add on

Current - SG Solo 3600 + Xcurve (1 month, 0 pack outs, 1 overnight trip, so I can't give full eval)
Pros: comfy with ~30lb, minimalist but I like the U zipper compared to full side zip of metcalf, diff cut scope pocket, meat shelf design, LIGHT, USA made
Cons: None yet besides cost, but I sold my MR setup and it didn't cost me much to switch

Slumberjack rail hauler 2.0.

8/7/20 edit - rewrote to just highlight the negatives.

You get what you pay for (mine was on sale @ $165, $200 reg). It’s a load shelf, which requires adding a bag, and even more weight, if you want to use as a backpack. SG sells load shelves that are lighter, and not terribly more expensive.

Heavy aluminum @ 5 lbs 9 oz. Bulky and doesn’t compact well, and catches branches on the top and sides. Takes room to store when not I’m use. Says it can hold 200 lbs but I’m not big/strong enough to carry much more than a 120 lb load over rough terrain so, it’s inefficient for lighter loads.

It’s probably a better contender when compared to other heavy duty load shelves (this is how it’s advertised) but loses out in many respects when compared to lighter, more compactable, more versatile, better organized, and more customizable packs for general purpose hunting to include load hauling.

Excessive adjustment straps for one size fits most. I trimmed them down to cut weight. I can’t get it to comfortably fit when carrying light loads (<40 lbs). Causes mild/moderate discomfort/pain in the center of my back unless it’s loaded down heavy. No good way to clean or de-odor many of the straps that are riveted to the metal frame.

No hydration sleeve. Other reviewers had this model squeak, and found it difficult to remedy. Orange fabric is a pain when bird hunting and I have to hide it. Too much hassle to reverse the fabric from camo to orange in the field, and wears out the velcro. Speaking of Velcro - this is almost always terrible on hunting gear. No same brand add-on accessories available such as scabbard, bow sling (I built my own), gun bearer (also built my own), etc.

Last edited:
Kelty tioga is a elk packing machine! I also bought a alps hybrid x which does good but is a little small for overnight trips.
Yep,admittedly, old school. But i am happy taking what i can the first trip with a lighter hunting pack and returning with a frame. I have always preferred keeping extreme weight higher up on the frame with an extension than lower . That said, bone in, with heavy end up , ...also makes the lashing easier. Old habits hard to break,i guess.

Eberlestock J107- 8-10 years ago.
Pros- Rifle scabbard, solid webbing straps pack felt decent.
Cons- Heavy, no load stabilizer straps,
Kuiu Icon- 6-7 years ago
Pros- Lightweight, good pockets/organization, lots of straps to secure loads, load sling, load stabilizers
Cons- Frame was prone to crack, does squeak some, zipper pulls plastic and broke often
Kuiu Icon Pro- 6 years to present
Pros- Lightweight, great bag setup and pockets, load sling, load stabilizers, just upgraded to the New pro suspension. Way more comfy and fits extremely well over the Icon Pro Suspension.
Cons- Did squeak but fixed it by taping the frame and cleaning the pocket it sits in.

For those that say the Kuiu bag keeps coming out of the pockets be sure you have the tension straps from the waist belt hooked to the right location and snugged down tight. I’ve seen lots of guys with them in the wrong location on the bag.

Still want to try a SG setup but the Kuiu has served me very well.

MR Metcalf - 4 years, 6 elk (only two were mine) several deer.
Pros- I love the meat shelf and the ability to run a 3L water bladder. I drink a lot of water and having it easily accessible keeps me hydrated and reminds me to constantly drink. I love that it can go over 4000ci but also is easy to compress and do day hunts. I feel like it does it all.

Cons - definitely heavy. I also feel like the hip belts could be better. I have tried a friends Kifaru and those were significantly more comfortable and seemed to stay in place better. I feel like I have a hard time getting the metcalf to sit just right on my hip bones.

Back