MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
Exo may have one con, buts it’s con is the only one that matters, and that is that Kifaru and Stone Glacier are out of its league.

A lot, if not most people that carry heavy loads in backpacks for a living (sheep, moose, brown bear guides)use those two or Barney’s

There’s a reason for that.

I have had the Kuiu Icon Pro for 4 years. I have older generation 1850 and 7200 bags for it, and the “newer generation” 3200 bag with the buckle attachment. The buckle attachments make for easier bag swaps if you have a newer frame, but otherwise it’s a pain to swap out the adapters when going back and forth. I think the older tri-glide attachments were a poor design, but no longer an issue if you buy their new packs.

As others have said, the frame is very squeaky. I think the overall internal organization is good.

Overall not a bad pack, but next time around I’m trying a different brand.

Badlands:
nitpicking these packs... this is about all she wrote:
2800 - Holster integrated into the hip belt - would like the barrel end closed. Any time the pack is placed on the ground, the barrel digs into the soil. This is with the use of a Taurus 2.5" .410/.45 and a Glock 27 G4.

Summit - Top handle grip tore the material at the threading. They need to reinforce that area.

Exo 3500 on the K2 frame system. 3 seasons.

Cons: After a long day (12+ miles) with normal weight (20-25 lb day weight), sometimes the straps that connect the shoulder straps down to the waist will rub on my rib cage and get annoying.
The time I went really, really heavy (all day gear [20-25 lb], plus rifle strapped to pack [8 lb], plus bull elk hind quarter, plus bull elk front quarter, plus bull elk antlers) maybe 150 lb total, was really miserable. Not sure if that's the pack's fault or my body's.
Waist pouches are pretty small. They did just come out with larger pouches that will hold an iPhone-sized item.
Pack makes a bit of noise. I have no other pack experience to compare it to, other than I used to run waist pouches which were much quieter.

Pros: I've packed out a bull elk alone in 3 trips and it rode comfortably, no issues at all. Was tired at the end of the day but no sore spots due to the pack.
Adjustable torso height settings. I'm 6'5 and have it maxed out with no issues.
Waist pad is comfortable
3500 pack can compress down really tight, or hold quite a bit of gear if full expanded. Very versatile.

Just my 2 cents. They just came out with their new K3 frame system so I have no idea how those will be but they look good.

1970's Everest external: Terrible pads (if you can call them that), squeaky, no chest strap, no hydration, no... fill in the blank
2000 Kelty Cache: Not great under large loads, not real lumbar contour, minimal compartments
2004 military frame pack (no idea if there's a model): Too short to adequately lash an elk rear quarter, no cush to the pads, squeaky.
2007 Osprey Something-or-Another: frame is too flimsy, doesn't have a standard hydration sleeve.

No idea when/if I'll upgrade, but I've tried a couple of hunting exclusive packs (MR, Exo, Seek Outside) and all I can say is that packing out a 100 lbs of meat still sucks, so why pay more?

Badlands 2200--heavy, waist belt sucks, doesn't carry heavy loads well, bat-wing pockets are awkward.

Exo 3500--wish it had a U shape outer zipper like the 2000 or new 4800 (I think). Otherwise I think the pack has the right balance of organizational pockets and open space.

I was looking into exo before buying my kifaru. It boiled down to having waist pouches big enough for my garmin rino. Those tiny pouches of exo are pathetic.
The new EXO pouches are larger but I agree my K2 ones are pretty small.

Eberlestock Gunslinger2-- Heavy, no frame system, not really a hunting pack, the scabbard allowed to much play and the rifle was constantly shifting from side to side

Exo K2 5500-- no rain cover, K2 hip pouches are small, wish it had the horseshoe zipper of the 4800, haven't had enough time with it yet to find more flaws

Mystery Ranch Popup 28

Only negative so far is I have to max out the waist belt due to my size.
More of a me problem than a pack problem 😀

Went through a few packs over the years, all of them had a lot of use and abuse.
Upgraded from an Eberlestock b/c it was absolutely miserable to pack any real weight in that thing. Still have a Nimrod pack frame that works fine for when I hunt with anyone that doesn't have a meat hauler.

Current pack is the Peregrine 3500. This will be her first season but I've been training with it and like it so far. I didn't notice any reviews on it here so I figured I'd better write one.
CONS:
There's a lot of straps and customization that takes some time to figure out. I'm messing with the load shelf and settings to find my sweet spot.
The pack may be a little more advanced than me. I'm still figuring out what I can do with all the straps and connections.
Not sure I love the shoulder straps
Dual waist belt is taking some getting used to but it does allow me to really customize the fit. Takes a bit longer to get it on and adjust when I shoulder the pack.

PROS:
3 Deep stuff pockets for spotter, tripod, and anything I want to access regularly. I like being able to plop down and grab my spotter and tripod quickly.
It's really light
Full length zipper that I can access the main bag without unrolling the top of the bag.
Between the lid I added on and the 3 stuff pockets I have pretty good organization for the stuff I use most often.
Frame is comfortable on my back and really carries weight well. I have a couple sets of extenders that could be really nice for carrying elk quarters. I just haven't tinkered with them yet.
The gatekeepers are pretty nifty.

Overall this is a pack that allows for lots of customization. The bag can break away to use the the load shelf or you can just fill the bag with whatever you're hauling. With all the functions and adjustability there's a learning curve to it. By the middle of the season I should have it pretty dialed in. It's far more comfortable than my Eberlestock ever was.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf-
This is my current multi day backcountry pack. Love it but there isn't a ton of organization options. After having it on a couple hunts the straps still confuse me sometimes. Heavy. Aftermarket hip belt pocket is a little weird and doesn't seem like it fits quite right.

MR Mule -
Just got this for basically antelope hunting and probably turkey too. Really dig the simplicity, but once again the straps are a bit funky to get used to.

Osprey Kestral 48-
Comfy and good organization. Too small for backpack hunting. Not the greatest for hauling meat.

Eberlestock X2-
Liked the layout but could never quite get it to fit right. Designed to carry meat far from the back which got awkward at points.

Mystery Ranch Popup 28

Only negative so far is I have to max out the waist belt due to my size.
More of a me problem than a pack problem 😀

For my metcalf i bought a smaller size cheap on camo fire. Needed a bigger waist belt. I called them and they were helpful in ordering a larger belt. Don’t remember the price was but didn’t seem bad to me. If it’s possible to change the belt on your bag, you might want to look into it.

Camelbak Cloud Walker - 6 seasons: I use this as my day pack. I would like the shoulder straps to be a little bit longer. The waist belt could stand to be a little larger as well...but as it has been said before, that is more my problem than the packs. It is also to small to use as a decent pack frame so I have to make a trip out for my actual pack frame.

North Face 30L (not sure what the name is) - 8 seasons: I use this as a multi day pack when fishing. Bought it originally as a day back/smaller pack frame but it didn't work out. Shoulder straps are to large to comfortably shoot a rifle with and don't cut in so you can fit a stock against your shoulder. Chest cross strap also pops off of its track way to easy.

Alps Commander X pack frame - 6 Seasons: This thing is a pain in the butt to adjust to different people. I adjusted it for me when I first got it, so I think it is comfy. However I have packed out a couple of animals whole with it (a bear and a couple of deer) and it makes swapping the pack back and forth between my brother and I a huge bummer. I also need to put all of my gear in compression bags if I am using it for an extended pack trip.

Badlands 2200--heavy, waist belt sucks, doesn't carry heavy loads well, bat-wing pockets are awkward.

Agree with everything that was said here but wanted to add that mine squeaks like hell when I am hiking. Integrated cow call was not a feature I signed up for when I got the pack. Oh well, I guess I will just keep waiting for the day I can afford something a little higher quality.

Agree with everything that was said here but wanted to add that mine squeaks like hell when I am hiking. Integrated cow call was not a feature I signed up for when I got the pack. Oh well, I guess I will just keep waiting for the day I can afford something a little higher quality.

Have you soaked/washed your pack recently? I’ve found a lot of times it’s dirt/dust/debris that makes them squeak.

Have you soaked/washed your pack recently? I’ve found a lot of times it’s dirt/dust/debris that makes them squeak.
I have not, but it squeaked from day one so I am not sure what to think about it. I figured it would get quieter once it was worn in but it still is not great.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back