Why all the 6.5 CM hate?

I bought a 6.5 Creed for my daughter. With standard hunting bullets it approximates the 257 Robert's IMO. Not a bad thing, but not earth shattering by any means.

The 6.5 Man Bun is great and all, but it'll never match the power of a .22 Short. It's so good, it got the job done on the former world record Griz!

I will try to help get this thread to 300.

6.5mm projectiles are nothing new. The type 38 Arisaka was chambered in 6.5x50, and the Swedes used the 6.5x55 in their mausers. There have been countless other cartridges using a .264 projectile. I agree that the "hype" is what sold the average person on the creedmoor. Hornady is a marketing giant. Most of the populous does not understand ballistics or energy on impact. For hunting applications, if a hunter does not want to shoot an ELD-x or the like and prefers a more traditional hunting round such as a soft point, the 6.5CM does not lend itself to amazing out of this world performance as the same performance could be had with a 7mm-08. Of course, there will people who will argue that the 6.5CM is king and no other cartridge can touch it, blah, blah, bah.....but here's the real scoop, the deer, elk, moose or speedgoat isn't going to know the difference between a 6.5mm, 7mm or .30 cal projectile as long as the hunter does their part.

Last edited:
I will try to help get this to thread to 300.

6.5mm projectiles are nothing new. The type 38 Arisaka was chambered in 6.5x50, and the Swedes used the 6.5x55 in their mausers. There have been countless other cartridges using a .264 projectile. I agree that the "hype" is what sold the average person on the creedmoor. Hornady is a marketing giant. Most of the populous does not understand ballistics or energy on impact. For hunting applications, if a hunter does not want to shoot an ELD-x or the like and prefers a more traditional hunting round such as a soft point, the 6.5CM does not lend itself to amazing out of this world performance as the same performance could be had with a 7mm-08. Of course, there will people who will argue that the 6.5CM is king and no other cartridge can touch it, blah, blah, bah.....but here's the real scoop, the deer, elk, moose or speedgoat isn't going to know the difference between a 6.5mm, 7mm or .30 cal projectile as long as the hunter does their part.

F8A7CDEA-F97B-43D7-98D2-F01122F58EFB.jpeg

I will help. 300 here we come.
And I still think the 6.5 manbun is the greatest hunting round ever made better even than the 3006

I don’t think it’s revolutionary in any way, but if you’re in the market for a caliber with similar specs, I think your foolish to not seriously consider it. I think I will probably buy one for deer and antelope in the near(ish) future.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back