Why all the 6.5 CM hate?

Dsnow9

I am looking for actual reasons why people do not like 6.5cm. All of the opinions and nicknames like 6.5 manbun are pretty funny but I haven’t seen many comments that were based in actual use of the caliber.

I have had mine for two year and have shot 6 antelope, 2 elk, and 2 deer in that time. I have not had an animal go further than 20 yards. I am very confident with the rifle and caliber and I personally believe that is a big part of being accurate. I do not prescribe to long range hunting though, I like the long range capabilities at the range but do not take long shots on animals. The longest shot out of all those animals was 250. I feel it is like hunting archery, just because you can shoot x confidently at the range, you should not hunt that same distance.

I don't know of any reasons not to like it within its weight class so to speak. I have one and like it very much. But as said above, it's the hype. It's reputed to be the panacea of all hunting cartridges in some circles. These circles may include more younger lads than not. They may be drinking craft beers, wearing their girlfriends' trousers and sporting shower shoes. One or more of them may have long hair tied in a similar fashion as my first grade teacher. You see where I'm going here.

I have two - and they are fine. I think the teasing comes from a reaction to the “6.5cm re-invents shooting” overhype - there are many pre-existing cartridges that can perform the same job in a similar manner so there is huge overstatement to the unique value of 6.5cm. It is also a bit of a generational thing like @SticksMcKinley discussed above.

IMO because it was overhyped. To listen you'd think it was the ultimate answer to all your firearm needs.

One main reason it was offered is because 6.5mm was the legal minimum for larger game animals in many states (and Europe). And it was useful in an AR-type platform. The .270 7mm is a long case, the Creedmoor a short case. The .243 is 6.2mm and was not legal in some states (or Europe) for large game. This has since changed most places.

It filled a nitch, is capable. has good ballistic but isn't the magic pill it was hyped to be.

No hate here. My wife has one and its very accurate with little recoil. Only one shot fired at game so far and that was an antelope that she dropped in its tracks. I think it makes a fine deer and antelope rifle.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back