Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who has the biggest Black Bear!?!

J_Poiencot

I have been looking at black bear hunting for a little bit and have one planned with moose in Newfoundland in a couple years. But I was wondering where are the biggest bear that wont break the bank to hunt. Just getting some conversation going.

This is why I love this page. So much info, so quick. Never would of thought of PA or NY! lol

Something to consider, size opportunity does not necessarily denote good odds at getting a big bear.

If you really want to shoot a monster you need to select a hunt type that allows you to see lots of bears in a day, which probably means either bait or terrain and habitat very conducive to glassing.

Even in states that produce big bears PA, NY, and MA a bear over 500lbs is in the top 2% of all bears taken and success rates in those state are extremely low. In PA for example 170,000 bear tags are issued with 3000-4000 bears taken each year. Couple that with the fact that a lot of bears are taken on private land and it becomes pretty clear that getting a big bear back east as a NR can be a tall order. You essentially have a .04% chance at shooting a 500lb + bear in PA in any given year.

This is total aggregated data (1972-2018) for MA, as you can see most folks are not coming out with monsters.
1578931778973.png

Western states do produce 800lb class bears as well, also proportionally fewer... but they are on public land so 🤷‍♂️

Something to consider, size opportunity does not necessarily denote good odds at getting a big bear.

If you really want to shoot a monster you need to select a hunt type that allows you to see lots of bears in a day, which probably means either bait or terrain and habitat very conducive to glassing.

Even in states that produce big bears PA, NY, and MA a bear over 500lbs is in the top 2% of all bears taken and success rates in those state are extremely low. In PA for example 170,000 bear tags are issued with 3000-4000 bears taken each year. Couple that with the fact that a lot of bears are taken on private land and it becomes pretty clear that getting a big bear back east as a NR can be a tall order. You essentially have a .04% chance at shooting a 500lb + bear in PA in any given year.

This is total aggregated data (1972-2018) for MA, as you can see most folks are not coming out with monsters.
View attachment 125280

Western states do produce 800lb class bears as well, also proportionally fewer... but they are on public land so 🤷‍♂️
A 500 lb bear is a tall order. I have friends that are really into bear hunting and have killed a hand full of bears and they are typically 250 lbers and up in Northeast Pa if your selective and don't shoot a small one. I have other friends who won't kill a bear and some don't even bother going bear hunting. Its just what your into. If you scout them and know how to hunt them you can be pretty successful and blow the averages away.

Bears, where I hunt here, are not that big but sometimes someone will find a 500lb bear. It's rare and i've never even seen one let alone shoot one. One thing we do have is that most of the bears in my area are color phased which is kind of cool.
We have to stalk them here which makes it even more difficult. Although it's the only way i'd hunt them. How about PA? Isn't that no bait too?

Bears, where I hunt here, are not that big but sometimes someone will find a 500lb bear. It's rare and I've never even seen one let alone shoot one. One thing we do have is that most of the bears in my area are color phased which is kind of cool.
We have to stalk them here which makes it even more difficult. Although it's the only way i'd hunt them. How about PA? Isn't that no bait too?

Correct, baiting here is not legal and cannot hunt with dogs. The majority of bear hunting here is by conducting drives. I don't hunt bear but I have seen a few whoppers around my area. I've heard they pull some big ones out of North Carolina too.

Im a Bear hunting nut in my home state of Pa I run a dozen cams for bear up north and watch 10 to 15 bear all yr, have taken 3 with a bow and have many pics of 500 lb and maybe bigger but since you cant bait or use scents its still a tall order to go to Pa and harvest one if your out of state oh and of my 3 they were all 200 to 250 lbs

Attachments

• 144.jpg
    144.jpg
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 25
North Carolina is where I'd put my money if I wanted a shot at a guaranteed 500 lb bear, there are outfitters who specialize in that very thing. One of the guys who posts on accurate reloading has got some amazing bears that are pushing 700 regularly. I will try and locate the link tomorrow.

Here is one outfitter with two hunts available. Over 250lbs and over 500lbs.....

Last edited:
Jcs271 is absolutely correct. The NC coast is the home to truly Monster sized bear, 800#'s size. But public land in that area is limited and the brush is nasty assed thick, or tidal, &/or both. There is some farm/crop field hunting, but that would be private land mostly. You'll probably need dogs if you really want an honest chance at one of the Big Boys.

If you are traveling to bear hunt without much insider information, then I would choose a state that allows baiting or dogs. If you want to hunt a place and see 5-10+ bears/day I would head to Canada (Alberta/Sask/Manitoba). One of my good friends runs a bear camp in Manitoba and it is not very expensive to hunt with him for a whole week over bait.

Here's the list of Boone and Crockett bears. Not counting Alaska.

1.Wisconsin — 654 entries
2. Pennsylvania — 341
3. Alaska — 232
4. Minnesota — 181
5. California — 165
6. Colorado — 153
7. Arizona — 142
8. North Carolina — 141
9. Michigan — 116
10. Washington — 76

As others have said, NC has huge bears. One outfitter that seems to be on the really large bears is Dare To Hyde.
They are not cheap by any means(out of my league by far!), but they seem to be on them.
Still hunting and running dogs seem to be what they do.

I am in Southern Va and we seem to be getting more and more bear in the area.
My son killed a 313# bear during our muzzleloader season.

Alberta has some real nice bears.

They don't get up into that 500-600 lbs. area like some of the States mentioned but get some good skull sizes.

I shot two in the last four years in Alberta with skulls over 20" (20 4/16" and 20 8/16") weighing 365 lbs. and 400 lbs. respectively. Both were weighed on a scale so I feel confident about the weights.

It's a great archery hunt and a heckuva lot of fun and won't break the bank.

Some people don't like the idea of hunting over bait. Doesn't bother me and a great way to get an ethical shot and to select large, age-worthy boars.

Just my opinion though.

Back