Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which do you prefer, the Gila or Chama areas of NM

SilverDollars

Which one of these two areas do you prefer to hunt for 340+ bulls, the Gila or Chama areas of New Mexico, and why? I will be applying for tags and seriously looking into private ranch hunting. Either way, I want it first rate with an outfitter, guides, etc. It will be my first (and sadly perhaps only) hunt like this in my life(finances/age). I got a $8000 budget for the outfitter and hunting fees.

For 8 grand you could shoot a whole pile of critters! 8 grand is a lot to spend on something that isn't guaranteed. But, to each his own. Welcome aboard.

Odd place to look for information on outfitters and guided hunts, especially on your first post.

You need more drama. Did any outfitters shoot at you when you inquired about hunting?

The Gila.
If your goal is 340, the Gila produces that caliber of bulls on a regular basis.
While 340 is possible around Chama, it would be the exception.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, but I doubt many of these guys will be much help since most tend to not use guides. I would suggest checking out the Primos website or the other TV shows showing elk hunts on guided ranches. I bet they have a list of places they go to and can point you to their "sponsors" at least. Then you can do some research from there by asking the ranches and guides for references. 10 years ago I assumed I would be doing my one and only elk hunt the same way, just save up, pony up, and go... Now that I have found this site I've read a lot and with the help of some great guys on here I've realized that I can do it myself on public land, and although I may not bring home an elk on my first hunt this year, I'll have one helluva good time trying!! Like you said though, if age is a factor, and possibly mobility, then a guided hunt may be what's best for you. Doesn't make it wrong. Just enjoy the experience and Good luck on your hunt!

For $8k you could hunt Montana for 4 years on a Big Game Combo ($959tags + 1000 misc).

You could hunt CO for probably 5 years, same with WY....not to mention the time value of money with having an extra $6k in your pocket after year 1.

Honestly though, if I was going to spend $8k, I'd be hunting moose in Canada or the Yukon (might be a touch more than that).

Did any outfitters shoot at you when you inquired about hunting?

Just spit coffee on my keyboard, that was good!

Seriously not trying to be an a$$ but you will appreciate any elk you hunted opposed to buying one, having someone else hunt it, then you shooting at a target.

Stick around, build a rapport and you'll gather all the info you need. Hunt over the counter while you apply for the Gila. Then you can make it happen on your own.

Put a 250 bull on your wall and smile thinking about the research and effort you put into it.

Then go do it again next year.

Last edited:
All kidding aside. If had about 8 grand to spend on only 1 elk hunt I'd think about buying a landowner tag and skip the outfitter. Places like huntin fool can get you setup with a great property. Might be something to at least consider.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back