Which 300 for all NA big game?

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on the net but wanted your opinions anyway. I am buying a new rifle, don't really need it but have the itch. This is for elk, moose, sheep,caribou and perhaps a brownie down the road. Logic would probably say stay with the mainstay of 300WM; who out there prefers a 300WBY over the win mag? Why?

Doubt you could go wrong with either. For me, one .300 and one bullet. The 200 grain Accubond in .300 RUM. mtmuley

I'd opt for the 300 Win. over the Wby. Easier to find, less expensive brass & ammo. The performance gains of the wby are not enough (for me) to validate it. Unless you have a wby fetish, then I could understand.

I have 2 pre 64 model 70's that have been chambered from 300 H&H to 300 Weatherby. One I had done and the other my Grandfathers hunting buddy did many years ago. I also have a Rem 700 classic in 300 H&H. The H&H I can get 3000fps with a 180 Partition, with the Weatherby 3164fps. Both these require a long action due to overall length. The 300 Win is a shorter case but the performance falls in between the 2 calibers mentioned and can get very close to the Weatherby with proper handloading. The availability to get ammo or components ie: brass I think the Weatherby $$$$ and Win are similar. If your going for a short action then look at the 300 WSM it comes close to the 300Win but does it in a smaller action. Then you can consider the 300 RUM, 30-378 Weatherby more bang for your buck, also more muzzle blast and recoil. With the exception of the WSM and Win a 26 inch barrel is the standard due to the huge load of powder to burn.
Just my $.02 worth go with the 300 Win.
Dan

.300 Holland & Holland!!

You don't hear many people talk about the 300 H&H. I have my dads and there is nothing it won't bring down. I believe Bodington hunted dangerous game in Africa with one. When they first came they were called the super thirty and was one of the first thousand yard guns.
What I like about this thirty cal is the felt recoil.
The modern day thirty cal's perform really well but I'm old school.

I am with mtmuley on this one 200 gr accubond out of a 300 RUM

image_zpsc0a8d288.jpg

I would think that as long as it starts with a .30 and ends with a Magnum you will be good to go. I'm not saying that they are all the same, but I've yet to meet an elk that could tell the difference between 'em.

If the choice is specifically between the .300 Win Mag and .300WBY, I would opt for the .300Win Mag. Give both the gas station test sometime, that might help.

I'm also a big fan of 200gr Accubonds. I would wager that a 200Gr Accubond out of a .30 Cal Magnum will be adequate for anything this continent can throw at you.

Either one. I went with the WBY, but would probably go with the Win or the WSM if I had to do it over again. Saw a WSM by Montana Rifle Co. in a gun shop the other day. Stainless/synthetic and handled nicely. Reports from others say the MRC guns are typically very accurate. It would make a very nice all around rifle.

I am a non-recovering 300 short or long Win-o-phile. The 300 wby is the only range sledge that ever made me pre-jump the trigger. It's long gone.

I would go with the H&H if you reload. Dad has one and I love it, I have the Weatherby and it's a nice shooter. If it was between the Weatherby and Winchester I'd go Winchester I think.

Well im stuck on the 300 ultramags I have three of them and two 300 shortmags which just set there. Two of them are bdl stainless . The new one is a sendero !!! I put a timney trigger and topped it off with talley one piece rings and a 6.5 x 20 x50 leupold. Its zeroed at 400 yards and im shooting 210 factory Nostler Accubonds LR. Im using the app. Called strelok its amazing . Punch in your info ...and dial it on the scope ...shoot. Im shooting dead on at 750 yards so far..Im just learning the long range game. I think I will drop my zero to 200yrds. Next time at the range.

MT.PERCHMAN

Well im stuck on the 300 ultramags I have three of them and two 300 shortmags which just set there. Two of them are bdl stainless . The new one is a sendero !!! I put a timney trigger and topped it off with talley one piece rings and a 6.5 x 20 x50 leupold. Its zeroed at 400 yards and im shooting 210 factory Nostler Accubonds LR. Im using the app. Called strelok its amazing . Punch in your info ...and dial it on the scope ...shoot. Im shooting dead on at 750 yards so far..Im just learning the long range game. I think I will drop my zero to 200yrds. Next time at the range.

MT.PERCHMAN

Not saying you will have issues, but I used to use Strelok, and has significant issues with their windage formulas with my .325WSM and my .308win. You may like Shooter or Applied Ballistics better. I know they are expensive apps, but they are a better interface and IME they are more accurate. I used Applied Ballistics on an Android phone, and have Shooter on my Iphone. Both are now available on both OS's now They use the same algorithms for prediction.

Not to one up the 300 Savage, but a 308 is more than enough for me in 30 caliber. I've got a 300WM and a 300WSM in the closet too.

"Perhaps a brownie"... I perhaped a brownie with a 308... Wouldn't be my first choice on a Kodiak or big coastal bear hunt, but neither would a 30 caliber anything. IMO if you really are planning on going after a big bear, you can afford to buy a rifle when the time is right.

Moose guns start at .277cal.

For me it's a 300 win mag. However, it's hard to argue Bambistew's logic. A 308 or 30/06 would be perfect and pick up something specifically for toothy critters.

I don't think there is enough performance difference between the 300 WSM, 300 WIN and 300 WBY to make a bit of difference to most hunters. If you upgrade to the 30-378 WBY, or downgrade to the 300 Savage, then you will encounter some significant differences.

First off I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I own a 300wsm, 300 win mag, and 300 H&H

This is all personal preference and not to knock any of them but here are some of my thoughts right wrong or indifferent.

I'm not real fond of the Ultra Mags, they are scorchers but personally for me they don't do anything better other than kick harder and use more powder. Just my .02

Weatherby is fine too but both ammo and brass is too pricey and harder to find for my liking.

Short mag I like the short powder column efficiency and ability to use short action platform. Not wild about the shoulder angle for smooth feeding although I have never had a malfunction.

std 300 win mag is just a good old performing cartridge, brass reasonable, ammo available most places.

H&H cycles like butter performs wonderful and is a classic. Brass is reasonable price wise but hard to find. Ammo isn't easy to find either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back