Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

for the 1000th time - Caliber options?

ThunderNocked

Hey all, I am starting working with a custom gun maker up here in Alaska. I'm supposed to meet with him this next week.
I'm up in the Alaskan Interior and I'm looking for a 400 yard Mountain gun that I can use for Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep, Black Bear and the occasionally Grizzly or if I get crazy for a Mountain Goat or Roosevelt Elk. He is saying he is looking at a sub 7 pound rifle and recommends a 270 or .30-06 for his go to rounds- 270 a little light for a Grizz but they have been taken with them and other rounds successfully when needed. I already have a Ruger American in 6.5 so not looking to go that route, and I'm thinking I should try to stick to 30 cal. He also doesn't recommend the 300 Win Mag in such a light gun - I was thinking about getting a break to help with that possibly.
What other rounds are out there to consider and look at? I'm leaning towards the .30-06 but had looked at 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler and am open to some other ideas. I do have 5 kids and so I can't break the bank every time I buy a box and want to think of availability but I'm not afraid to go off books a little. Thanks for the feedback and thoughts - I know many people wont see the need for a 400 yard shot - but I've been on 1 sheep hunt and hear of a lot of other guys who could have gotten a sheep if they practiced and were familiar with their gun/rounds out to 400. I think if I want to be a successful sheep hunter this is a goal I'm going to be reaching for.

If you're not a reloader, I'd still consider the 28 or 30 Nosler, but if you go that route get a good supply of ammo. I'd also consider the 300 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag, lots of ammo choices (well there used to be lots of choices). Also, nothing wrong with a 30-06. I like the 7/284's, so I'd go 28 Nosler or 7 Rem Mag.
I am not a reloader - hopefully some day. With the single car garage, no shop and 5 kids there isn't the space to set it up and keep it organized and safe. Hopefully that will change.

I'm really interested in the 28 Nosler, but feel that maybe sticking with something more 'common' would be better. Thanks for your input!!!

Unless things are very different in Alaska, right now getting any ammo is a difficult task. The 28 Nosler typically won't have as many options or be as readily available as the 7 RemMag, but if you buy a good supply once you know which load you want and they become available, it's a good choice. If you want something that should be available more often and in more places then go 7 RemMag.

If the gunsmith is building a sub-6lb. rifle for you, I would take his recommendation and choose the 30-06, only because of the fact that the recoil from the 300WM, 28 Nosler, 7RM would most likely cause shooting problems in that light of a rifle. A few years ago, I got the chance to shoot a friends' Forbes 24b rifle,( I believe that was the model of it ), it is a 6lb. rifle with scope, pencil thin 22" barrel chambered in 30-06, and the recoil was horrible. after 4-5 rounds I didn't want to shoot it anymore. That's when my friend told me, the rifle was a "safe queen", because he developed a flinch with that rifle.

The 7mm Rem Mag recoil is comparable to the 30-06.
It will shoot flatter, and carry more energy at distance with comparable weight bullets.

The Forbes 24B is 5.5 lbs bare rifle. By the time you add a scope & sling your looking right around 7 lb.
And they have 24" varmint contour barrels.
Just like the 24B in 280 Rem that i have.
It wasn't made to do a day at the range.
It's a light carrying gun, that has excellent accuracy for those 1-3 shots while hunting.

To answer the original question.
7mm Rem Mag.
Once you start reloading, 100gr through 197gr bullets are available.
Generally i shoot the 150gr ABLR. But i also like the 160gr Sierra GameKings, 168gr Berger VLD-H.

Let us know when your ready to start reloading. I can send you some of my spare stuff up!

Last edited:
There is a lot to be said for keeping the gun you’re after simple. Personally, for the type of rifle you’re after and the opportunities you’re going to pursue, I’d want “the most for the least“ in terms of bullet performance vs. recoil.

A friend of mine who has lived in and hunted AK seriously for almost two decades has chased the holy grail of mountain rifles. He‘s had numerous custom built high end rifles in an assortment of calibers. His quest for the “ultimate” AK mountain rifle evolved to a 30.06 shooting a 180gr Accubond...until recently when he‘s been using a 6.5.

Modern bullet design and shootability go a long way towards lethal performance.

I have both a .30 Nosler and .28 Nosler. The 28 is a better all purpose round. The 30 will whack anything with 4 legs in N America and do it with Authority, but it kicks really hard. I have a 28 in Browning x bolt pro that weighs 6 lbs 10oz.

You've already answered your question. At 400 yards, you'll be pretty hard pressed to see any difference in either external ballistics or terminal ballistics. I'd worry a lot more about what ammo I could reliably find and go from there.

and I'm thinking I should try to stick to 30 cal. He also doesn't recommend the 300 Win Mag in such a light gun - I was thinking about getting a break to help with that possibly.
Can't go wrong with the old WIN MAG , lots of options ,easy to load for and super accurate. Mine has a brake and the recoil is next to nothing. It's like apple pie and USA

Based on your comments about "inexpensive ammo," "not reloading," "kids," "single car garage," I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest youre in the same boat as me. You need a boring, reliable, and common caliber. My choice would be 7mm rem mag, but 300 win mag or 30.06 would also be great. I do the same thing and get all excited about fancy new calibers and how they're marginally better than the old boring ones, but in reality I'll never see the difference and I'll deal with the hassle of uncommon rounds every single time i use the rifle.

Another thread you may find helpful:

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back