for the 1000th time - Caliber options?

338wm. I'm with mtmuley on this one. I'd go with a magnum. I guess I'd rather shoot an upset bear with a big gun than a little one. I have a brake on my 338 and it weighs about 8.5 lbs. The kick is manageable. It's not something you have to shoot every day but shooting it every couple weeks you'll realize the recoil isn't bad. Mind over matter for recoil. I'd rather stuff a 200+ grain bullet into a grizz than a 130gr

Slightly off topic, but not really, you can still reload even with your limited accomodations. My uncle did his reloading in his dining room for many years. He made a a portable cart and clamped his press to the dining room table. It can be done. With the current prices of ammo, I'd have the 280 AI built, but an 8 pound jug of RL16, 1000 magnum primers, and a bunch of Hammer bullets. I'd shoot anything in North America, without reservation.

Everything a 3006 or 270 does a 280ai does better. If ammo is available in your area get the 280ai I have ran it though a few ballistic calculations and was impressed with its ability to defy the wind.

Drift at 200yds with a 30mph cross wind.

3006 168 ttsx has 9.7 inches of drift.
280ai 145lrx has 7.4 in

300yds
3006 has 22"
280ai has 17.28"

400yds

3006 40.47"
280ai 31.39"

Thats a pretty dam big difference
Someone smarter than me can verify, but as I understood it all three of these cartridges use the same parent case. It's necked down for the 270, and it's necked down and blown out for the AI. So, at first glance the charge is similar with slight increase (5 percent ish) for the AI and the best BC bullets win - so a 280AI is going to be the best.

Anyways, what impresses me about the 28AI is it can achieve 7 rem mag performances with less powder due to higher pressure ratings. Technically you can load higher for the mag, but many commercial rounds are similar. Anyways, I'd still recommend something boring, but the 280AI is a neat round with growing interest I think. You can check out unknown munitions for some pretty tricked out rounds in 280AI

What about a .308 win instead of the 30-06? You can get a short action instead of a long action to save weight there also.
Alas, the OP doesn't currently reload, and even if he did, he'd be running into the same issue the rest of us are.
Shortages.
And when these happen the first things to go are 308, 223, 9mm. And all the components that make these.
Reason.
NATO.
The militaries, and police forces around the world get theirs first.

Heck i was amazed that the wholesaler/distributor near me had zero Ballistic Tips (in any caliber, not even 25 cal! ) or Magnum primers.

I'm sure Elkmagnet has the right/good intentions. But your using mono bullets to begin with, traditionally not as high a BC as cup & core bullets.
The other issue is your using different types of mono bullets, and different weights.

But, he is right in that a 7mm will have better BC than simular weight bullets of 30 cal. Equating to shooting flatter, less wind drift, and carrying more energy at distance.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but not really, you can still reload even with your limited accomodations. My uncle did his reloading in his dining room for many years. He made a a portable cart and clamped his press to the dining room table. It can be done. With the current prices of ammo, I'd have the 280 AI built, but an 8 pound jug of RL16, 1000 magnum primers, and a bunch of Hammer bullets. I'd shoot anything in North America, without reservation.

For a variety of reasons, the op should give the above serious consideration

Also, Alaska Bullet Works might be helpful to you, regardless of which caliber you choose. '" Acres of Diamonds "

I feel soooo old. Three pages of recommendations and no-one likes the 300 H & H :( For the record it will and has successfully hunted all the animals you mentioned, will reach out 400 yards, and apparently you will be the only one hunting with one, so possibly even loaded ammo might be available. the 30-06 would be my second choice, but good luck finding ammo for that caliber. If I was living in Alaska I would tend to go up, like the 35 Whelen, instead of down to the 270, if the 30-06 ---or 300 H & H doesn't work for you.

Regardless of what you get, enjoy your hunts and your new rifle

p.s. I didn't miss the "sub-7 lbs"--I just ignored it ;)

I'm sure Elkmagnet has the right/good intentions. But your using mono bullets to begin with, traditionally not as high a BC as cup & core bullets.
The other issue is your using different types of mono bullets, and different weights.
I was just throwing out the numbers for the bullets I would have used in each caliber. I wouldn't use the 168 in a 280ai it doesn't show an advantage until you hit 7mm mag velocities or reach out past 600yds. I also wouldn't use 150 or lower in the 3006 due to the very low bc thus the wind drift spreads would be more dramatic not less.

Is that the full setup? .... I guess that isn't much at all....
I thought I would need alot more of a setup.
These can definitely reload good quality ammo, although they are fairly slow. But it would be a good option to cheaply enter the reloading hobby to decide if you like it enough to invest into better, more efficient equipment. After using a Lee loader for exactly 5 rounds, I knew it was something I wanted to do.

If you do decide to start this way, any kind of powder scale is an improvement over the powder dipper these provide. Otherwise, as long as you have a rubber, plastic, or wood mallet and a surface you didn’t mind hammering on this is a good system.

I'm trying to look but work computer is locked down tight - luckily they haven't discovered HuntTalk yet but anything gun/knife/ammo/bow is blocked. Also apparently Reloading too.

Can you get that setup for the 280 AI?

I'm trying to look but work computer is locked down tight - luckily they haven't discovered HuntTalk yet but anything gun/knife/ammo/bow is blocked. Also apparently Reloading too.

Not that I know of unless Lee does some custom models.

Attachments

• 26F7CDDF-54A8-4C80-9126-A827800CBC57.png
    26F7CDDF-54A8-4C80-9126-A827800CBC57.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 8

Just a heads up from back in the day when I was the chairman of our union at work. Companies can pretty much search everything you have opened on their computers. More than once, people found themselves in hot water. Shortly after I retired a guy got terminated over his computer history.

Now back to the subject at hand. What I have ended up doing is pretty close to the Lee system. I have a scale and am pretty anal about the powder charge, more than needed, likely.

Also, I usually buy unfired brass for hunting loads. Then it's just a matter of priming the brass, putting the charge of powder into the brass, and seating the bullet.

Good luck with whatever direction you go. I'm old enough to be a Jack O'Connor acolyte,,,, so I have a soft spot for the .270Win. But there are many good choices.

I figure some day they will discover and block HuntTalk - since Sportsmans, Alaska Outdoor Supersite, etc are all blocked. I figured I won't get fired or written up but it will get blocked. :D

The Lee Classic is not available in 280AI. So I'll have to look for a different route.

Thanks guys!

I'm getting a Kimber Montana in 280AI. The guy I'm working with I'm getting it threaded with a cap and break, he is going to do a little barrel work and bed the barrel and hydrodip the stock. I'm pretty excited!

I should look more into reloading... even if I only reload one or two rounds... I'll be down to the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 280 AI once I get this. The work he is doing is about half of what he normally does but it's what I can do now. SO I should get the rifle in January in time for my Birthday.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back