Where would you hunt?

So if you were going to do a budget hunt to another state... what would it be for and how much could you do it for? total cost tags, gas motel or camp... everything. Right now im thinking of a mulie hunt in Idaho, about 700-800 total cost.
But I'm no expert I have never hunted outside of Montana and was interested what everybody thought their most fun low cost hunt could be.:D

Utah. Mid August with a bow. Sleep at 11,000 ft at 69 degrees. Hunt 159-190 class mule deer.

Wyoming. September. Archery. In a tent at 9,000ft. Same reason as Utah.

Idaho. October. Rifle. Same reason as Utah and Wyoming.

All doable for under $800 round trip with the tag if you have a buddy to split the trip with.

Last edited:
I've hunted DIY as a non-res in AK twice for bear and blacktail, WY twice for antelope, and AZ once for archery javelina. On a budget the WY antelope or the AZ javelina are good hunts. AZ we hunted in T-shirts in January, a nice break from MT winter. Also could have killed a mountain lion if I had bought a tag and the coyote shooting alone would be worth the trip. That trip my buddy had an archery muley tag that was a guarantee draw and we spent a few days chasing some decent bucks around and also had opportunity to shoot quail.

Forgot about cost, I did AZ for $1000 for 10 days but had lodging provided. WY I did for about $400 each trip but it's close to home and I camped.

Cost was for gas/travel and groceries/meals...didn't add in tags.

Last edited:
I see you're from Montana.. If the drive wasn't so much further for me, Montana would probably be my go to state for deer and elk most years. I bear hunted Montana this past spring, and 28 hours each way gets old real fast (and costs $$ in fuel). However, I may be coming back again this spring; time for some more books on CD from the library.

I can do my Wyoming antelope trip for under $1000, solo from Indiana.. I'm sure it could be done a lot cheaper from your location, especially if your rig gets decent MPGs and you have a buddy or 2 to split costs with. I camp and don't count food cost, since I'd be eating at home anyway.

I too would like to chase javelina in Arizona sometime, although I haven't researched it seriously yet. Need to look into trying to pull a Coues whitetail tag for either the same time or immediately before/after the javelina season dates.

I've hunted deer in Colorado, but never had an elk tag there. I could do an OTC hunt there for around $1200 (tag and fuel). That may actually be my backup plan for 2015 if I don't draw my Wyoming antelope or elk tag (or longshot NM elk tag).

If I ever get about $3K to drop in a hunt, I'd really like to do the coastal black bear hunt in Alaska, like Fin does on his shows. Fly up there, rent a boat and a FS cabin for a week, and live off fresh caught seafood while trying to fill a bear tag. That one is likely several years distant for me though.

Ive never hunted in another state but a lot of people I've talked to make me want Wyoming antelope as my first out of state hunt.

Ive never hunted in another state but a lot of people I've talked to make me want Wyoming antelope as my first out of state hunt.

I've only done it once but if I could go every single year I would. The only issue is the points/tags, but on years where I have time I'll go shoot a pile of does for cheap if I can't get a buck tag.

A hunt I want to do is a drop camp WY, CO or MT rifle elk hunt. I'd prefer CO but I'm scared that the crowds would suck.

If you are from Montana then you should be able to line up in-state hunts for good elk and deer (mule and whitetail). Wyoming would provide you a chance at a good antelope and most likely bigger than any you would get in Montana.

If you want to hunt a different species then you could hunt Aoudad in NM or Javelina in AZ but have to get the tags, pay for miles and miles of driving and perhaps lodging. Aoudad move around a lot so a public lands tag would not necessarily put you where you see them. Javelina should be easy enough.

If you want to hunt turkey, you could head to Kansas or Missouri. Spring gobbler hunting is a miniature version of a rut elk hunt except the pack out only takes one trip!

Wyoming general elk for sure. WY Antelope is a fun low budget hunt, probably #1. Mule deer in one of the western regions can be affordable and while hiking in beautiful country you can find a good buck.

Utah combo deer and elk. I've never done this but thought about it once or twice. I tend to stick to draw units in UT. The general hunts can be good if you spend the time hunting midweek and away from the roads.

Colorado general elk should be on the top of your list. Lots of orange in the hills but hiking can reduce that.

Apply for points in NV, AZ and everywhere you can even if you don't plan hunting those states. 10 years from now you will thank yourself.

I do the doe antelope thing almost every year, my wife and I with tags, fuel, we pull the camper with the kids and already have our food from home, we can do that for $600 there and back I believe is what it costs us last year..... I would like too do either Elk/Deer in the high country of Wyoming.... but not for a couple of years, got 4 points for antelope and I need another 1 or 2 too draw the tag I want, than I'll start getting points for Deer.... I think you can get over the counter high country bow tags for CO? not sure thou?
Matt

Idaho deer hunt - $456.60 for tag's not sure your gas total but in my diesel going too NE MT and back it was about $400 with the camper on with all my food and water already, so it's gonna be close too $1000 for a Deer hunt from NE MT, obviously less if your closer and don't drive too SW Idaho too hunt,

Last edited:
I wyoming antelope hunt is about as cheap as it gets for me. I can do the whole trip for less than 500$ with tags and gas included with 3 guys. We camp though.

Archery mule deer in the Rubies for $650, all inclusive.

We have done a Wyoming antelope hunt for three that cost 735 a person. That included tags, local hotel, and gas from Virginia. Gas was our largest single expense. That was our first trip and was done entirely on public land. I would recommend that anyone considering a hunt in Wyoming to buy preference points. I think an antelope point only cost 30 bucks, but just one can make a huge difference. Also be nice to the locals. We have become great friends with a ranching family and now hunt their ranch as well as public land. Also, biggest help for me was to talk to the various game wardens around the state. They were the single best source for advice that I came across when planning my first trip.

I wyoming antelope hunt is about as cheap as it gets for me. I can do the whole trip for less than 500$ with tags and gas included with 3 guys. We camp though.

I've been to Wyoming a few times, always paying a trespass fee to hunt private land. For your $500, I am assuming you are hunting public land? I have been thinking about taking the wife and kids out there mid Oct to shoot some antelope and it would have to be public land.

I only do budget hunts. All DIY and mostly camping, some hotels.
You may not believe it but I have done 11 days in Hawaii for axis deer for $900 all inclusive including airfare. I go every year, got flights booked for myself and wife for 2 weeks in March. 2 roundtrips for $657, not each but both.
I did New Zealand for 2 weeks, big game and waterfowl for $1600 all inclusive, including airfare.

Wyoming antelope really is as easy of an out of state hunt there is, especially if you're already in MT.

Cheap tags, perfect for camping, and incredibly high success rates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back