Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Where for Whitetail?

NV_ARCH3R

Hey guys, I'm in Northeast Nevada, I've harvested most of what I call the "Blue Collar" game. Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear, and Javelina. So I guess my next move would be a Whitetail. Where would be my best place to try, considering travel, cost, etc. I don't need a trophy just a respectable representative. I prefer archery but won't rule out muzzy, or rifle.

Never heard game animals considered blue collar. What are white collar game?

I'd head to Northern ID, NE Wyoming, or really about anywhere in MT that has decent access.

Good luck.

I'd look at Nebraska with their otc tags and a lot of walk in access.Or Kansas with a left over tag and again plenty of walk in access.I think "blue collar" animals are the ones and average man can hunt without getting a 2nd mortgage like you would need for an otc sheep/goat hunt.Thats just my guess

Blue Collar, the game most of the poor working guy Usually a resident only hunter. has time and money to go after. Moose , sheep, goats, caribou etc. are a step above. Guess maybe I shoulda mentioned, I'm thinking Central/Northern Idaho. Montana,. Utah have whitetail?

What kind of habitat do you want to hunt them in? That would be the deciding factor for me. You'll find good whitetails in north ID, nw MT, ne MT, central MT, se MT, ne WY, ne WA to start. The KS hunt Randy did on OYOA looked like a fun one.

Its getting farther away, but what about Ohio, Wayne nf, or anywhere in the south east. Liberal bag limits, low cost of license and long seasons. Travel may cost more however. In Va, bow season starts in early oct and runs through early jan. Thats pretty typiccal for other states like Ga which also has alot of public land.

Could go to ID and hunt some mountain whitetails. I know locals out there shoot some giants.

I'm used to more open country, spot and stalk, or still hunting through open timber, not sure I could do the tree stand thing. Looking for maybe an OTC tag or draw with good odds. I would like to shoot a whitetail but I'm not going to apply for years to get one.

If spot and stalk is your thing then anywhere east of the Mississippi is about out. I hate stand hunting too but it is almost a necessity at times. Eastern Wyoming had a good population and plenty of access to private and public land. Some of the landowners hate them because they compete with mulies.
We saw way more whitetails than mulies last fall.

I would also say I've heard good things about idaho and eastern montana. The milk river area had a good population but I think it was mostly private. Kansas is another place that may fit your style if you can get into some river bottoms. I think they may have a drawing though.

I see alot of Whitetails from South of Dillion on up through Twin Bridges and into Whitehall MT

Nope no whitetail left in Idaho.... Lol just kidding if Idaho is ever in your options look into the whitebird area lots of national forest and plenty of game!

Whitetail, the other deer. mtmuley
Mule deer my second choice!

Access is key no matter where ever you decide to hunt whitetail. If I had to choose Alberta would be number one right behind Kansas. We have good whitetails it's just a matter of timing and patients.

Having lived in Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa, the whitetail hunting doesn't get much better.

And if you want you can extend that eastward into Illinois, Indian and Ohio. Hoosier National Forest has 203K Acres that you can spot and stalk all you want. Not very expensive but definitely a long drive for ya.

Though it has its benefits,I don't necessarily like tree stand hunting either, we successfully still hunt/ spot and stalk often here in the Midwest.

Spot & stalk, Spot & stalk...Blah Blah, Blah.. Stretch your boundaries Dude !

No, it's not what you are accoustomed to, but isn't that what makes an adventure ?

Stand hunting takes hard core discipline, few learn to do it well.

Eastern hunting is more about learning game habits, in micro habitats (compared to the west) , scent management, & timing, more so than glassing and sneaking over broad areas of land.

But the rewards can be AWESOME.

OH, IL, IN, KY..........Nice bucks, Ya just gotta wait for 'em & be there......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back